The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm contemplating breeding on foal heat...what do you think?

I understand why it is not ideal. In this case, the mare foaled out perfectly, placenta came out easy, looked great, baby is nursing well, etc. Pretty textbook. Currently they are at the vet's home and he does have stocks, etc. there because he doesn't haul his own mares to the clinic to be bred.

I'm toying with breeding on foal heat before we bring her, and the foal home. The clinic is further away and it is quite a process for me to haul a mare and foal. I'm just thinking how nice it would be if I could get her bred at his place...

I would still haul her down for ultrasound, most likely, as we don't have stocks.

He does need her to leave (ideally) before his second mare foals out (space issue). She's due the first week of June.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I don't mind breeding on the foal heat provided the birth was easy, I'm not using frozen semen and foal heat was at least 9 days post-delivery.
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net
    Standing Abrikos, Cartier R, Cielo B, Ciroc, Deja Blue, Diabolo d'Esquelmes, Esteban, Figaro B, Jus d'O, Kinnaras, Valentino Z

Become a fan on FB - Rising Star Farm

If you do end up breeding your mare, I would recommend having your vet administer Settle. I swear by it!

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    If you do end up breeding your mare, I would recommend having your vet administer Settle. I swear by it!
    I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with this product.

My mare, Miss Money Pit has not foaled for two years now and we don't know why. I was going to repurpose her(not sure how just yet, maybe as another pasture pet) but I wonder if Settle would be worth a try
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Don't do it! you have a higher chance of her not catching anyway costing you more money down the road. Also the 3 extra weeks to wait til her next heat is nothing and the uterus needs that time to heal no matter how easy the foaling was. protecting the longevity of her reproducing years should be more important than saving a possible 3 weeks of time.

If you decide to do it though, please have a vet check her out and such before you do.

Have done it successfully for years. As noted above, all elements must be perfect -but horses have always done it in the wild without our supervision.

I did it last year. My mare took on one dose of frozen and her colt was born on St. Patrick's Day (and sold a week later). Can't beat that for efficiency!

Supposedly if you delay foal heat with Regumate (vet says "nothing can stop it, you can just hope to delay it) so that you are breeding/she is ovulating no sooner than day 10 from foaling that it is as fertile as any other heat. There is something magic about day 10 apparently, perhaps Kathy can chime in - but the vet said no use to put semen in before that because the environment is hostile and most won't survive.

We tried this for the first time this year, started Regumate day 4 after foaling and continued through day 8. Mare checked day 8 with a 47mm firm follicle and building edema. Bred on days 10 (52mm, slightly soft and more edema) and 11 (56mm, mushy/hazy, less edema), she should have ovulated that night or the next morning the way it looked. Will let you know how that turns out next weekend.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Yes, if you have a long foal heat and can get in that 10 day range then foal heat breedings are just as fertile as other breedings. The lower success rate comes if you are breeding sooner than that.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with this product.

My mare, Miss Money Pit has not foaled for two years now and we don't know why. I was going to repurpose her(not sure how just yet, maybe as another pasture pet) but I wonder if Settle would be worth a try
    You need to clarify--will she not conceive or can she not maintain a pregnancy?

We bred on foal heat, day 8 last year, and our mare took first try and carried easily to day 354, delivered a healthy foal.

The trick to breeding on a foal heat is that the mare OVULATES at least 10 days post foaling AND everything with regards to the foaling was textbook and normal - no retained placenta, no dystocia, no problems. The reasoning behind it is that by day 16 post foaling, the mare's uterus has fully involuted and has returned to a normal condition. If you breed day 10 or later, by the time the conceptus drops into the uterus, you are past that 16 day mark.

While breeding on a foal heat with an ovulation prior to day 10 will often result in a pregnancy, the problem is that there is a higher incidence of early embryonic death. Frustrating as you check your mare in foal and when you go back two weeks later to see how everything is doing, no pregnancy .

It sounds like everything is textbook for you to breed on this cycle provided the mare holds off ovulation. I don't even bother looking at a post foaling mare until day 9 (if I'm ordering semen) and if all looks good, I'll go ahead. Otherwise, just short cycle her and breed her on the next cycle.

Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

I've sort of done this with one of my mares that foaled in June and I didn't want next years foal born even later in the California heat! What I did to get past the magical 10 days, is let her go through the foal heat and then short-cycled. Worked like a charm for me. I knew exactly when to inseminate, etc. No vet involved and another perfect foal the next year!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

Quote Originally Posted by Reiter View Post
    I've sort of done this with one of my mares that foaled in June and I didn't want next years foal born even later in the California heat! What I did to get past the magical 10 days, is let her go through the foal heat and then short-cycled. Worked like a charm for me. I knew exactly when to inseminate, etc. No vet involved and another perfect foal the next year!
    Educate me a bit you guys. If I do this, what day out from foaling am I looking at? Part of my issue with waiting for the first regular heat after foal heat is I have to go to FL for work when she is likely to need to go to the vet clinic.

I HATE to bring her down for an extra week and pay mare +baby care. Plus their pens are not that big and I know her--she will be stressed with the other strange mares so close (she's very protective).

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Educate me a bit you guys. If I do this, what day out from foaling am I looking at? Part of my issue with waiting for the first regular heat after foal heat is I have to go to FL for work when she is likely to need to go to the vet clinic.

I HATE to bring her down for an extra week and pay mare +baby care. Plus their pens are not that big and I know her--she will be stressed with the other strange mares so close (she's very protective).
    Gotta know when she's ovulated post foaling. Then wait five days and short cycle her. You save about a week over waiting for the "30 day" heat.

Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Yes, what Kathy said. After all she and Jos are the ones that taught me!
    Even though it's only a week you save instead of waiting for the next heat, the chances of getting a viable pregnancy are much better than breeding on foal heat and it gave me a more calculable date of ovulation. If you take her to a vet then all this is probably not necessary!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...

After you short cycle is it about three more days?

Sorry about all the questions!

After you short-cycle, she should come back into heat after 3-5 days. It depends on the timing of the shot!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...

What shot do you give to short cycle, and when? I just bred my mare on foal heat, but she was pretty far out. Last day of heat/breeding was at 15d post foaling. I'll just wait my 2w and see if it took but curious about the short cycling for other mares.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Prostaglandin. Lutalyse is what I use.