The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PRID (Progesterone Releasing Intra Uterine Device)

Has anyone heard of or used this before:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2117366/

It has been used on cows exclusively up til now and a friend of mine who has dairy cattle said they can syncronize 10-15-20 cows at a time and get them all bred bing-bang-boom without even blinking or thinking twice. Two weeks ago when we were discussing it, she commented that she wondered why they didnt do the same with the horses???

Lo and behold - my vet was in this morning and he pulled one out and asked if I had heard of them as they were now starting to use them on horses. Thus far, the success rate had been fabulous as there was a constant, measured progesterone dose being released intra vaginally instead of the variables associated with progesterone shots or oral liquids as the absorption rates could vary widely with them

Its a plastic'y rubber-y coil with holes in it that you can either insert with this gun thing, or you simply clean everything well, grab a glove and some lube and stick it in the vagina coated with an antibiotic preparation like Special Formula (to aid in any possible inflammatory response) and you are done until you pull it out 5 days later. It has 30 days worth of progesterone on it, so you can technically use it for 6 cycles or 6 mares. Once it is removed, you give them a shot of Lutalyse and then breed 3-4 days later

I think its one of the neatest new things to hit the market in a long time if its effectiveness with mares is equally as good as its effectiveness with cows has been

Would be interested to hear what the cow people have to say as well on it

This was discussed at AAEP a few years ago. They will work, but the majority of the time they cause one heck of a vaginitis in the mare. In the papers presented at AAEP the vaginitis didn't seem to cause any uterine problems, or problems with obtaining a pregnancy, but it sure is nasty. They just aren't being used much because there aren't many owners that are going to be excited with dealing with a vaginitis, as it causes quite a bit of discharge and is enough to give anyone a heart attack!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Hillside - interesting. I had posted this on another board as well and one poster came back and said the exact same thing. Wicked vaginitis to deal with as a result

I guess some controlled clinical trials would be in order then before they start touting these to the end user Mare Owner???

I doubt that anyone will invest in doing much more investigation on these products for mare use. We already have multiple ways to synchronize mares, as well as quite a few progesterone products on the market, so there is really no incentive to study these products, for equine use, anymore.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    I doubt that anyone will invest in doing much more investigation on these products for mare use.
    PRIDS are not uncommonly used in Australia and New Zealand and are gaining popularity in the UK. There has been a PRID (referred to as CIDR's in those countries) developed specifically for mares in New Zealand, which is called the "Cue-Mare".

This is taken from our course notes for the equine reproduction short course we give in England:

• CIDR (Controlled Intravaginal Drug Release) devices, aka PRID (progesterone releasing intravaginal device) (Eazi-Breed CIDR Cattle Insert, Pharmacia Animal Health, Kalamazoo MI; Cue-Mare, Duirs PfarmAg, Hamilton NZ) have been demonstrated to assist in hastening the onset of first ovulation (Newcombe JR, Wilsom MC: The use of progesterone releasing intravaginal devices to induce seasonally anœstrus Standardbred mares in Australia. Equine Prac. 1997; 19:13-21)
    • This treatment may be combined with an ovulatory stimulant such as Deslorelin or hCG (Newcombe JR, Handler J, Klug E et al: Treatment of transition phase mares with progesterone intravaginally and with deslorelin or hCG to assist ovulations. J. Equine Vet. Sci. 2002; 22:57-64)
    • Transient vaginitis and cervicitis is to be expected, although this usually resolves by the time of breeding;
    • With mares that respond, rapid onset of œstrus and ovulation within 4-8 days of the removal of the device is to be anticipated;
    • Pregnancy rate may be decreased in mares that ovulate >6 days after removal of the CIDR;
    • Up to 5% of mares may be expected to expel the device, although the design of the Cue-Mare has largely overcome this problem.

Hope this helps.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity