The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up SmartOmega 3 - wow GOOD stuff! PICS ADDED

sSweets has been on SmartOmega 3 for about 2 months and wow wow wow, this stuff is amazing. She's going to a show tomorrow so I'll have photos then but geeze I can't get over the incredible shine! Her coat is blacker than ever - with dapples! She's on ground flax, black oil seeds, and rice bran also but the SmartOmega 3 really went above and beyond.

Does anybody else use this stuff? What have your results been?

I just can't get over it!

Edited to add photos:
    http://www.hphoofcare.com/Sweets%20May%2021%202010.jpg

http://www.hphoofcare.com/Sweets%20M...%20%282%29.jpg

The camera flash brings out all the red. In person she looks much darker/blacker. I'll try to get good photos at the show tomorrow. These were just some snapshots in the barn before bed. She got her tail washed and hooves done then pooped in her water bucket.
    Last edited by Auventera Two; May. 21, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

I agree, I am totally impressed. Just left a review on SmartPak's website last night, actually. My mare has been on it for two months, and she looks amazing. The best she has in the 12 years I've owned her. She is absolutely glowing, even with minimal grooming for the last couple of weeks (grad school semester ending + lots of rain...). I've tried a lot of other flax products, and this as by far been the best, especially in a short amount of time. I wonder if it's the fish oil?

I don't feed BOSS, or flax, or anything else like it either...the rest of her feed consists of 1-2# ration balancer, MSM, Smart IR, and now the Omega 3.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Can't wait for the results! I just started mine on it about 3 weeks ago!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

I did a month of the free sample.

My mare always has a nice coat, so that has stayed the same.
    I have noticed the past 2 weeks she has been shedding again. I thought she was done but apparently not.

The main reason for the popularity of linseed or as you call it, flax is its ability to readily produce a shine on a horse's coat. That's due to the fatty acid content of linseed (flax) oil.

When it's eaten with black seed oil (so more oil) AND with Omega 3 (yet more oil) which is basically just a flax based supplement with yet more oil then there's a lot of oil in the diet and so it's hardly surprising that the horse will have a decent shine on it's coat.
    Last edited by Thomas_1; May. 21, 2010 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    The main reason for the popularity of linseed or as you call it, flax is its ability to readily produce a shine on a horse's coat. That's due to the fatty acid content of linseed (flax) oil.

When it's eaten with black seed oil (so more oil) AND with Omega 3 (yet more oil) which is basically just a flax based supplement then there's a lot of oil in the diet and so it's hardly surprising that the horse will have a decent shine on it's coat.
    Normally I would agree, but this product in particular seems to work much better than others I've tried in the past. Besides flax, it also contains fish oil, pre/probiotics, and vitamins E and A, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I've owned my mare for 12 years and have tried a lot of products off and on over the years (whole flax/BOSS, Omega Horseshine, Glanzen 3, etc), and so far this one is making a very noticable difference in a very short time. So much in fact, that I hadn't made it to the barn for a week and a half or so, and when I saw her a couple of days ago, I was shocked at how great she looked.

Caitlin
    Caitlin

I don't know what you're disagreeing with. There's oil, oil, oil and more oil.

We've both said so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    I don't know what you're disagreeing with. There's oil, oil, oil and more oil.

We've both said so much.
    Your post seemed to say that all oil supplements are the same, so it does not matter which you use. I am disagreeing with that and saying that this one seems to work better than others. Unless that is not what you intended to say?

Caitlin
    Caitlin

I think Thomas might be wondering the same thing I am, which is if SmartOmega 3 is all that and a bag of chips, why give it AND flax seed AND BOSS, which is what Auventera2 posted.

Seems like a waste of money to me. One or the other but all three?

Personally, I'm a fan of elbow grease, myself. And face it folks, all of us have a spray bottle of something hidden around the corner to polish them up.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Normally I would agree, but this product in particular seems to work much better than others I've tried in the past. Besides flax, it also contains fish oil, pre/probiotics, and vitamins E and A, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I've owned my mare for 12 years and have tried a lot of products off and on over the years (whole flax/BOSS, Omega Horseshine, Glanzen 3, etc), and so far this one is making a very noticable difference in a very short time. So much in fact, that I hadn't made it to the barn for a week and a half or so, and when I saw her a couple of days ago, I was shocked at how great she looked.

Caitlin
    Boy you said it, this product goes WAY beyond anything else I've tried. The shine and color is incredible. I pulled her fly sheet off this morning due to the rain coming today, and holy wowzers, just couldn't believe that gleaming coat. And it's not just shine - it's the depth and brilliance of the color itself.

I've never seen this horse have dapples but she has them now. She looks like a velvety black with bay dapples.

Ok, what is BOSS???

Black oil sunflower seeds.

ahh ok thanks!

I've only been feeding it for about 3 weeks now but I've definately noticed his coat is much shiner. He also has dapples now =)

Coat looks good, but he's a shiny horse anyways, good coat and feet no matter what he's eating (a TB nonetheless!).
    BUT he had severe lymphangitis last year, leaving some very substantial damage (swelling wise) to his LH.
    Added the SmartOmega3 because it was free...later read it could help the lymphatic system.

I'm probably jinxing myself but his bad leg looks NORMAL. No one ever thought we'd see that day. He still gets wrapped for the night but his pastern doesn't blow up, at most there is a little thickening on the inside or it, but it did that prior (though a little less) to the lymphangitis because of an injury. And he can be in the stall for more than 2 hours w/o a wrap.

He'll be on it till the day he dies.

ETA- we probably spent close to $250 on supps trying to find something to help his leg (it's not painful just UGLY). We did oil, BOSS, immune stuff/support, amino acids, APF ect...go figure the $14 stuff is the best.

http://www.hphoofcare.com/Sweets%20May%2021%202010.jpg

http://www.hphoofcare.com/Sweets%20M...%20%282%29.jpg

The camera flash brings out all the red. In person she looks much darker/blacker. I'll try to get good photos at the show tomorrow. These were just some snapshots in the barn before bed. She got her tail washed and hooves done then pooped in her water bucket.

Question

Is this good for the summertime itchies?

My mare seems to get itchy, mostly along her rump and wither area and rubs her tail come summer.

Hmmm, I had my itchy horse on it this spring, when it was free. Never re-ordered. I remember at one point he was gleaming (hard for a grey-ish pink who lives to roll). Wish I could remember if he was so shiney around the same time we was getting the SO3.

Of course it was too early in the season to know if it was helping the itchies or not.

As for it being a fat supplement, it is, but its also fed in such a small amount that it's not going to be a significant fat supplement when compared to rice bran or oil. I think it's only about 1/4 cup worth, once a day.

Not sure if it's 'better than the rest'.. I get the same 'shine' with 2 oz. of cocosoya oil/day. That's not a lot of oil...

IMHO, it's sort of creepy to be feeding your horse fish oil just so they can be shiny...

I'm all for omega 3s and what not, but I think I'll stick to flax.