The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

cinders052560 Guest

Default Researching origin of my horse

I am hoping someone in this forum may be able to help me find the breeder of my horse "Horton Wins the Blue". I purchased him last September and was told he's a Welsh-Hano cross. He's oversized (15hh), chestnut with a large white star and a small snip. He has two socks on his hind legs and a white coronet on one foreleg. He is 5 years old and a real sweetie. I can send photos if anyone is interested.
    Thanks in advance!

It might be very difficult to find the origin of your horse due to potential name changes. Was his name always Horton Wins a Blue or was it changed to this in 2008 after someone watched Horton Hears a Who and thought it was cute?

Does he have a breed brand on him by chance? Most of the WB registries are very helpful. If he does have one the numbers under the brand can tell the registry at least where your fella was presented.
    If not, try asking more questions from the person you bought him from. It took me over a year to track down a mare once, but finally was able to get it done by chasing any little lead I could think of. I did finally tweak some more info out of the previous owner, although they were reluctant, that led to me finding out what I needed to know.
    Good Luck.

cinders052560 Guest

No, he doesn't have a breed brand, unfortunately. I guess I'm naive, but why would a former owner be reluctant to provide information about a horse's past? I've been puzzled by this myself.

Is he a Blue Who?

cinders052560 Guest

Tried that lead. I don't think so but not 100% ruled out. Sure sounded like a possibility though based on name.

Quote Originally Posted by cinders052560 View Post
    Tried that lead. I don't think so but not 100% ruled out. Sure sounded like a possibility though based on name.
    I have a Hottie kid and was told you were looking by someone we both know...anyhow good luck! Do you have pics

I have a picture of him that was sent to me. Carolyn I can send it to you if you want to see him.

I contacted Lisa Carr who has Blue Rain, but she did not have him in 2004 when this pony was bred.

Do we know he is by Blue Rain? I am trying to remember who sent me a picture of their 15 hand Blue Who son. OH, just found the picture and he is gray, so not the same one.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

cinders052560 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SSFLandon View Post
    I have a Hottie kid and was told you were looking by someone we both know...anyhow good luck! Do you have pics
    This is Cindy. I can send you some pics but I don't know how to attach them.

cinders052560 Guest

No news here. If someone can tell me how to post pics I will.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cinders052560 View Post
    No news here. If someone can tell me how to post pics I will.
    Cindy
    I think you have to have a certain membership but, i never could figure it out...if you have photobucket or facebook you can put links in