The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Supplement to help itchy skin?

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me! I've noticed that my older TB gelding is much itchier since being at our new barn, I'm not sure why. Perhaps because of the new pasture? Not sure. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good supplement I could give the Freckle Beast to relieve some of his itchiness. I was looking at SmartPak's SmartMSM Pellets. The website says:

"SmartMSM Pellets are a cost effective solution to stiffness, soreness, itchy skin, brittle hooves and respiratory issues. MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) is a naturally-occurring sulfur compound that fights inflammation and supports the formation of connective tissue, making it vital to joint, tendon and ligament health. Research has shown that MSM protects tissues against the damaging effects of exercise and stress. SmartMSM Pellets provide 10,000 mg of highly purified MSM in a tasty pellet horses love!"

Has anyone tried these? Also, he's already on Smartpak's Smartflex Senior Pellets, which have MSM in them already, 12,000 mg per serving, I believe. Is there any benefit to adding the other MSM supplement, or would that be overkill? Can he have too much MSM? Is there something better for skin issues? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

If he's already getting 12000mg, then I wouldn't bother adding more. Perhaps he has an allergy?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

We use APF on the old man who has seasonal allergies and COPD. This is the first year he is drug free. He also get 2,000 IU vitamin E. He is on SmartFlex Senior too so he is getting plenty of MSM.

The APF is suppose to be great for allergies and I can tell you, his breathing and coughing are completely under control. We buy the bottle and make our own "cookies" with it but Smartpak will soak it into cookies for you. We feed 2ml a day.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...5&cm_vc=Search
    Gone gaited....

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    If he's already getting 12000mg, then I wouldn't bother adding more. Perhaps he has an allergy?
    I think he might, I just don't know what he's getting into out there. He doesn't cough or have a runny nose, at least, just itchy.

Quote Originally Posted by FreckleBeast View Post
    I think he might, I just don't know what he's getting into out there. He doesn't cough or have a runny nose, at least, just itchy.
    How about a medicated bath? That may help.

Are the bugs out in your area yet? Perhaps he's allergic to an insect? In that case, I'd throw a fly sheet on, with neck rug, after a medicated bath.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Thank you for the link, manyspots! I will check that out.

You know, I think I'm going to try flax or a supplement with flax like SmartOmega and see if that doesn't help clear up the inflammation. Thanks guys for your input!

I would defintely try a flax product like the Smart Omega. My mare is on that + the MSM pellets. She looks great, and is not itchy (but her slightly itchy time is usually July-August, so we shall see if it continues working then).

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    How about a medicated bath? That may help.

Are the bugs out in your area yet? Perhaps he's allergic to an insect? In that case, I'd throw a fly sheet on, with neck rug, after a medicated bath.

That's a good idea, sublimeequine. I think I actually have a suitable shampoo around here somewhere, now that I think about it.

And ugh, yes! I'm in southeast TX and the bugs are out with a vengeance! Usually the barn is pretty good about pest control, but lately the flies have been kinda terrible. I go every day to fly spray him and make sure he's comfortable, but I might get him a fly sheet. I've been eyeing this plaid Kensington fly sheet that would match his fly mask. Like I need an excuse to buy more horse clothes! LOL Also, the thought of him wandering around the pasture in head to toe plaid is pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    I would defintely try a flax product like the Smart Omega. My mare is on that + the MSM pellets. She looks great, and is not itchy (but her slightly itchy time is usually July-August, so we shall see if it continues working then).

Caitlin
    Hi RedMare01. I'm thinking of adding that to my Smartpak order. The price seems fairly reasonable. How long have you been using it? Was there a marked difference in your mare's skin/coat condition?

She's been on the MSM and Smart Omega for two months now. I can see a dramatic improvement so far. There is another thread on the Smart Omega, BTW....

She is incredibly shiny, and she doesn't have that dandruffy stuff they sometimes get in their coat. However, it's still cool here, and she is never normally itchy this time of year. More like July-August, and it's not even really bad then. Just a lot of rubbing on the stall walls, and trying to rub her head and neck all over me when grooming/tacking. Hopefully we don't have that this year!

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Oh thanks for the heads up! I'll go and check that thread out.

I just started the SmarkPak Omega for my very allergic and itchy draftx.
    When he started to get itchy, I tried the Wendell Herbs Stop Itch...then found out when I allergy tested him that he is allergic to dandilions...which is in the Stop Itch! So much for helping him! I have also put him on the SmartPak Bug Stop or whatever it is called. I tried the APF last year but other than no reaction from his allergy shots (he would get a small localized swelling after injection), I really didn't notice any difference.
    On really bad days, you can give Benadryl, 25mg. Mine gets 17 twice a day.
    I use Eqyss Medicated Shampoo and I have a concoction I made of a tube of Desitin added to Equiderm to help on his raw spots and keep him from itching!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

I would go with the fly sheet and neck cover. I like the Turtleneck ones. Centaur also makes one similar to the TN, but without the stretchy neck.

It's the only thing that has helped my itchy boy.

My ASB mare has had sweet itch for 5 years. You name it I have tried it and the only thing that has worked for her is Hydroxyzine from the Vet. It takes about two weeks to get into her system but it helps sooooooo much. She also wears a fly sheet with belly wrap and neck wrap, fly mask with ears and extended nose. Good luck...

Thanks all! I've just ordered the SmartOmega3 and a fly sheet, so here's hoping it helps!

There is Stop Itch from Wendalls Herbals which is specifically targeted towards sweet itch.

I was browsing the vet blog on Smarpak's website and found this article:

http://blog.smartpakequine.com/ask-t...rses-corn-oil/

I wonder if the oats my gelding gets twice a day combined with the mediocre pasture grass he's on contributes to keeping his body in a "pro-inflammatory" state. Hopefully the Omega 3 supplement will help correct it.

My POA is on a double dose of SmartPak MSM for her Uveitis, but still has the summer itches...

So, I don't know if you'd still pursue that as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    My POA is on a double dose of SmartPak MSM for her Uveitis, but still has the summer itches...

So, I don't know if you'd still pursue that as an option.

Poor pony! Yeah, I'm going to give the SmartOmega3 a shot. It can't hurt to try.