The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Am I going to fry all of the animals with my fence?

Lol, half joking, half serious... Now that our fence is completely connected it was reading 16.9 kv on the readout. I hear another damn snapping and walked out and there was some longer grass we missed and you could see a pretty big spark. So, do the bunnies or little wildlife have a chance of surviving? We have a bunch in our yard and I need to prepare myself to find bunny carcasses. I've only had weaker fences and this one seems HOT. I'm terrified to fall into it now. I'm notorious for forgetting a fence is hot. I need to buy more warning signs to remind ME! Guess I just wasn't sure HOW hot 17 kv was and what damage is could do.

the volts ZAP you, it's the amps that kill

assuming the grass is growing and not dry and flamable, it's somewhat of a self-cleaning effect. not really a bad thing.
    Last edited by Alagirl; May. 20, 2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: fix spelling...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks. I am 100% aware I am a complete electric fence idiot. We've been building/fixing, hooking up our first and it's been... interesting to say the least.

I had about 100 feet of wire on a 'Fido Shock' charger, I think it was rated for up to a mile of wire...

The soil was nice and moist and I swear my leg twitched for hours after...

Might be just what you need: a few days with super zap, and you can turn that baby off for a year.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Mine reads between 13-14 and it hurts!!!! It won't knock you over but you'll jump back really quick! Believe me- after hitting your fence one time at 17- you won't need reminder signs!

I'm glad mine is that hot- bc the colts hit it one time and one time only. The weaker one I had before- they'd actually test the wire and grab it btwn pulses and only get zapped lightly. This one doesn't mess around!

Alagirl, omg, yep, I did that too. Wet grass, wet ground, I had on shorts, accidentally touched my inner thigh to the tape as I was climbing through

Unhappy

When we had our first barn built at our last home, the builders strung a hot wire around the area where they were working. I had never used a wire before. Well - my 18 year old gelding had obviously not been around one either because ...yep - you guessed it... he walked right up to it and took hold of it in his mouth. He COMPLETELY passed out! I mean he was laid flat out!!! The workers all came into the pen and were standing around him as he (thankfully) awoke! Everyone of them told me they thought he had had a heart attack and died!

....so I do believe that hot wires do well with their purpose...but they also do some harm...

Quote Originally Posted by equusvilla View Post
    When we had our first barn built at our last home, the builders strung a hot wire around the area where they were working. I had never used a wire before. Well - my 18 year old gelding had obviously not been around one either because ...yep - you guessed it... he walked right up to it and took hold of it in his mouth. He COMPLETELY passed out! I mean he was laid flat out!!! The workers all came into the pen and were standing around him as he (thankfully) awoke! Everyone of them told me they thought he had had a heart attack and died!

....so I do believe that hot wires do well with their purpose...but they also do some harm...

LOL, (sorry) poor Baby!

He might have thought it was one of the tongue tingling weak ones

So, will she see bunnies, fawns, kitties?

Well, it can happen yes. I have seen both dogs and cats die when they hit our neighbors electric fence. I finally convinced him to make only the top two wires hot since smaller animals and fawns will likely go under. When it killed one of his calves, he did as I asked.

I was watering the bulls one time with yes, a metal bucket into a metal trough. All of a sudden, I am flying through the air and land in the middle of the bull pen. I swore one of them had just rammed me a good one but as I got up, I realized they were not only on the other side of the pen, but that I had accidently hit the hotwire with the metal pour bucket. So, if it could do that to me and I was grounded with rubber boots, whoooooooooooooeeeeeee imagine what it might do to them.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

I am SO paranoid about touching our fence when it's on sometimes I double check to make sure it's off before I climb through. That thing is HOOTTTTTT! The fence boxes were rated at like small animals, cows, horses, and buffalo. We got the buffalo box, LOL. (Had a weak box before that and the horses just tromped all over it. One horse we had would sit there and figure out when it was pulsing, and paw at it between pulses to break the wire).

One time I was watering the horses, and my gelding came up to me, so I was loving on him, and decided that it was a good time to do so carrot/treat stretches. Weeellll, I was walking backwards slowly and all of a sudden I was about 6 feet forward of where I was. I actually didn't even touch the fence, I got really close and it arced to the rivet on my jeans!! (My grandma witnessed this.. lol)

The weed burner fence that is around the pig enclosure tests at about 25, I've been shocked by it once, where I bent down and picked up some metal trash and it arced to my pants - ouch burn - and then went right down my arm to ground on the trash and made me yelp good and loud, and made my arm tingle for quite a while. The piglets bump into it all the time <loud squeal> and root right up to the bottom wire, which grounds on whatever they shove into it, and makes quite a little light show after dark. I don't believe that it would kill a small animal because of the piglets.
    I have heard of people who make a poor man's electric fence - they hook the d*mn thing right up to the house wiring, and you better believe those are lethal, to small animals, large animals, and occasionally the guy that built it.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Damn I wish I could get what you guys have!

I have two adolescents--one of each sex, unfortunately--insistant on challegning the fence.

Hay guy said to string a second wire, approx 4-6" from first, and tie that to the ground, so they hit both.

I've got granite after 23" or so, so ground is not moist enough, regardless of how many groud rods I get in.

Damn I wish you could send some my way...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I get so mad about horses messing with fences I love a nice hot electric fence! Count your blessings!

When I asked Mr. BeeHoney to put up a hotwire along the inside of a paddock where a nutball TB mare was gnawing through the fence like it was candy, I told him I wanted it so hot that birds that landed on it would go up in a puff of smoke! Obviously the birds aren't grounded, so that would never happen. But after it was up we did sit out on the porch with adult beverages and sigh with satisfaction as we watched Nutball being forced to graze on actual grass.

I personally have never had experience with electric fences killing anything. However, I do know that different species of animal require different strength of chargers. And I do know that some chargers come with warnings. And, someone once told me that certain chargers were strong enough to potentially kill a small child if it was barefoot on wet ground. I don't know if this is true or not...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    I get so mad about horses messing with fences I love a nice hot electric fence! Count your blessings!

When I asked Mr. BeeHoney to put up a hotwire along the inside of a paddock where a nutball TB mare was gnawing through the fence like it was candy, I told him I wanted it so hot that birds that landed on it would go up in a puff of smoke! Obviously the birds aren't grounded, so that would never happen. But after it was up we did sit out on the porch with adult beverages and sigh with satisfaction as we watched Nutball being forced to graze on actual grass.

I personally have never had experience with electric fences killing anything. However, I do know that different species of animal require different strength of chargers. And I do know that some chargers come with warnings. And, someone once told me that certain chargers were strong enough to potentially kill a small child if it was barefoot on wet ground. I don't know if this is true or not...
    Since you mentioned birds.... One time over a few days, every time I went out there were birds, dead by the fence. I picked up a couple and looked at them. Their little feet were fried right off of their legs. I was horrified. I took my fencer down to the farm store. He said it had been hit by lightening and something had fused together. Instead of having a break between beats it was now just a solid shock. I felt horrible for those little birds, it was some sad.

Quote Originally Posted by WaningMoon View Post
    Since you mentioned birds.... One time over a few days, every time I went out there were birds, dead by the fence. I picked up a couple and looked at them. Their little feet were fried right off of their legs. I was horrified. I took my fencer down to the farm store. He said it had been hit by lightening and something had fused together. Instead of having a break between beats it was now just a solid shock. I felt horrible for those little birds, it was some sad.
    This story is hard to believe without more details. Birds sit on the power companies primary lines all the time. Those lines are 26,000 volts and carry more power than your whole house system can deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    This story is hard to believe without more details. Birds sit on the power companies primary lines all the time. Those lines are 26,000 volts and carry more power than your whole house system can deliver.
    You believe what you want. I personally saw, handled these footless birds. That is just what the Agway store told me. They said it could not be fixed. I do not take well to ppl incinuating I am making up some stupid story either.