The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn builders in KY

We are needing to get a barn built. Does any one know any barn builders in Kentucky? We are close to the Lexington area. Either a local company or national one would be fine. Also did any one have there barn built during winter? I would hate to have to wait till spring to get it done, it would be nice to stop doing the boarding thing! Any recommendations for fencing companies would be appreciated too. Thanks!

If you look in the back of your Kentucky living or KU magazine there are scads of ads for pole barn builders - it's funny but neither the guy that put up the shop or my neighbor or a good friend of mine ever remember which one they used out of the back of the magazine, they just say that's where they found theirs. I know that's a heck of a recommendation!

Dennis Fence is the big guy in the bluegrass. Fairly spendy but a great reputation.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Penrod Lumber and Fence Company is in Simpsonville, KY.... they have been down here in Texas many times installing fencing

We used Walters Buildings and love our barn. We also used Dennis Fence, hard to get sometimes but worth it.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

We also used Walters - 4 years ago, and we are very happy with our barn. We use Shuck Fence for our fencing.

DC Building builds barns all over the country. They built a gorgeous barn for us. Great group to work with.

http://www.dcbuilding.com

Default We are about 40 miles north of Lexington

A local guy named Duane Chaney built our indoor, run in sheds and wrapped our barn. Uses twice as much lumber, is a horse guy, super careful, no trash around and beat all the "big names" in price. He's also done some barns for some pretty big name folks around. PM me if you want his number, he does not advertise, and works year round. I'm thrilled with his work and as pleased with the price as you can be when you are spending money. Be happy to give you a tour of my place if you like.

I know this is an old thread but we are looking at building a small (4 stall) barn in the Lexington area. The one quote we've gotten was $150k which seems high.

So any new suggestions would be great!
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

We had our pole barn built by Blitz about 6 yrs ago. They will configure it any way you want - we have 4 stalls, tack room, wash rack. They are based out KY and sent out someone for the estimate and a crew to put it up. Once started, it was completed in no time at all. We had a little roof leak after 2 yrs and they sent someone out to fix it with no questions asked.

We liked their work/prices and had them come back 2 yrs later to put in an equipment shed.

http://blitzbuilders.com/photos/equestrian.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
    I know this is an old thread but we are looking at building a small (4 stall) barn in the Lexington area. The one quote we've gotten was $150k which seems high.

have them requote the project, remove the requirement for solid gold stall fronts.... really, $150K for a four stall barn?

You might want to contact some custom home builders if the actual costs are in the $150k range

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    have them requote the project, remove the requirement for solid gold stall fronts.... really, $150K for a four stall barn?

You might want to contact some custom home builders if the actual costs are in the $150k range
    Haha. I think it was for a custom wood barn. No clue what that included (my non horsey fiance made the call)

Im going to start a new thread on other options like pole barns and pre fab.

Quote Originally Posted by neversaynever View Post
    We had our pole barn built by Blitz about 6 yrs ago. They will configure it any way you want - we have 4 stalls, tack room, wash rack. They are based out KY and sent out someone for the estimate and a crew to put it up. Once started, it was completed in no time at all. We had a little roof leak after 2 yrs and they sent someone out to fix it with no questions asked.

We liked their work/prices and had them come back 2 yrs later to put in an equipment shed.

http://blitzbuilders.com/photos/equestrian.php
    Do you mind me asking roughly what that cost? That's about the size we are looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post

$150K seems outrageous. We had local guy (SE KY – 2 hours south of Lexington) put up a 40x60 ft building with a 10 ft overhang on one side for paddocks that connect to horse stalls.
    It has a “floating” foundation, metal siding and metal roof, gutters and down-spout, one over-sized garage door (for truck and trailer parking) with remote control. They also put in 2 small windows and a human door with a window.
    The main part of what they did was the structure, we did the rest. It cost us $21,000.
    They framed (but didn’t provide for these doors: (1) 8x8 ft door for aisle (UTV and horse entry way) , (4) 4x8 ft doors for horse stalls.
    From there we put in (4) 12x12 coated steel stalls with 6 inch gravel/mat base (compacted), SO built the aisle door and the stall doors and put gravel on the truck/trailer parking inside the barn (will do concrete later when we have more time and money).
    Now in Kentucky

I strongly recommend Denny Powell if you're still looking for a builder. PM me if you'd like his phone number.