The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Trail-Et Trailers? Tell All! Good, Bad, Ugly?

I am still trailer shopping, trying to replace my '96 Trails West Classic Slant (I love it, but I'd like something newer and aluminum-ish).

I found an '05 Trail-Et New Yorker straight load at a fair price. Says it is in excellent condition.

How do people feel about this brand and model of trailer? Before I email for photos, and talk deal, I'd like to gather information. Thanks all!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I have one. It's a good, serviceable trailer. I prefer the 4-star I had previously, but I find it quite acceptable.

What don't I like:
    - heavier than the 4 star.
    - the hold-back on the door is a little metal spring that constantly needs adjusting
    - the gooseneck coupler is meant to be a type so you don't have to get into the bed, but instead you have to be pulling the handle while you're cranking it off the ball. I'd rather just jump in the bed.
    - Not as many hooks and the like in the dressing room as we added to our custom 4-star

What I do like better:
    - Big windows get plenty of ventilation
    - The adjustable height of the breast and butt bars (but truthfully, it needs a LOWER setting)
    - the divider can swing over when loading because there's no center post in the rear

Other great features:
    - 6' dressing room with carpeted floor and screen door
    - cool louvered windows in the tack room that are easy to open
    - the wood floor with good mats
    - the divider system works well and is removable
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I had a 95' Baron 2h. Just sold it last year. It held up extremely well and I was happy with it but I wanted a bigger trailer. Last summer I looked at the new ones and wasn't as impressed so I went with Hawk.

The 05' you are looking at may be well made like the older ones were.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

We have owned 3 Trail-Ets and still have 2 of them. Our first was a New Yorker sporthorse size BP, purchased brand new in 2002 or 3, can't remember. It was the only one of the three we've owned that had a lot of problems. The ramp liner and springs had to be replaced several times, the wiring had to be worked on several times and the hitch, of all things, broke when it was about 4 years old - trailer repair place said it looked like there were some faulty welds on it.

So, I traded it for a 2 horse New Yorker gooseneck that was a year old and LOVE that trailer. I've owned that trailer for nearly four years now and it has been such a good trailer and held up to heavy use.

Our other Trail-Et is a 4 horse head to head. I think it is a 1993 model so it is getting some age on it but that trailer will outlast us most likely - we have thought about selling it several times since we're not showing right now but just keep hanging on to it because it has an 8' ceiling, a 6' dressing room and ramps on both sides as well as back - things that are only done as custom orders now. Plus we can make box stalls in it. We've had no wiring problems, just normal maintenance you would expect.

Yes - we would buy another Trail-Et again but...not without a thorough inspection beforehand.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I have a 2002 (I think?) Trail-et Westwind - 2h gn straightload. Love it. Will absolutely get another if I had to, assuming they don't change the design to something I don't like LOL

As mentioned about the tie-back for the DR door, it's a metal spring-type deal that is not very hold-y. I've never had to adjust mine, but a strong wind coming the right way would probably knock it off. Certainly nothing worth not getting the trailer for given the other bigger plusses.

The windows are big and plentiful, the ramp is easy for a single person to raise and lower, I really can't complain about anything major at all.

I don't mind at all - in fact I actually like - having to pull the wire to unlock the ball to unhitch the trailer. Because I don't have a really good setup to store my trailer out of the way of everything, I often have to move it up the driveway and then back. For this I don't hook up the electric or the breakaway chains, just the trailer itself. This means I never had to get into the bed of the truck for all these little moves.

I avoid any issues with the center partition moving by either not undoing the other buttbar (or doing it back up again of there's another horse that's been loaded), or I use the pin (which is attached by a wire) for the 2nd (empty) stall to drape around the hanging buttbar itself to provide a "lock" for the partition so it can't freely swing.

FWIW, Trail-Et is out of business. There was a huge auction a few weeks ago.
    http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/for...threadid=13593

Bartley Heath
    bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
    Buy Factory Direct at $ave at DoubleDTrailers.com

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I have an original owner! 1994 Trail Et New Yorker, so suffice to say I like it. It has held up extraordinarily well considering most of its life it has been stored on grass and/or under trees, both of which are not favorable to trailers. It's *finally* starting to show its age but that is mostly because it was custom painted to match my truck (instead of standard silver) and the umm, '94 paints just were not as durable as today's automotive paints are.

After 16 years, I've replaced the ramp wood 2X, gave up on the internal lights a while ago just because I never use them and I'm too lazy to get them fixed, but since all the other electric works, it's probably a connection in the light. I've replaced a fender (the older trailers came with fiberglass fenders, they don't do well in a blowout tire shredder moment, btw) and the hitch jack (thanks to a runaway trailer that rear ended my well blocked trailer at a show). That was the damage - the ball of the other trailer hit the plate holding the fender and there is a hitch side dent and the jack stem was bent a bit enough that you couldn't put the wheel pin in. It worked fine, just couldn't use the wheel. The side wall foam bumpers on one side could use some attention - they've rotted through where the nut/washer has them bolted in, but that's an easy fix. I finally got around to replacing all the weatherstripping about 2 weeks ago and I keep obsessively checking the floor wood and it is fine. After that, it's just maintenance work.

Now for the Caveats:

I'm serious about cleaning my trailer out every time, every ride. I keep it closed up unless it is in use and I keep all the butt bars up and locked when not in use. I power wash it inside and out at least 1X year, usually 2-3X, I've repainted the inside twice and regularly touch up the paint inside, I'm always after the hinges and door locks with WD40 and now that it is older and has a few more leaks around the storm doors, I'm even more obsessive about sweeping the shavings forward and making sure that stuff can't sit there and stay wet forever between the mats and wall. So there is a reason this trailer is going strong after 16 years and it ain't just because it is a trailet.

The other caveat is I don't believe the same people who made MY trailet made YOUR trailet. In fact, I do believe the people who made mine are now making Hawks, so YMMV.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DD_TrailerMan View Post
    FWIW, Trail-Et is out of business. There was a huge auction a few weeks ago.
    http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/for...threadid=13593

Bartley Heath
    bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
    Buy Factory Direct at $ave at DoubleDTrailers.com
    My husband mentioned he heard something to that effect awhile back but I saw that their website was still up so I was hopeful that it was only a rumor. I wonder where we will find parts now. (Hawk maybe?)
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Nooooooo, say it ain't so!!!!!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

it is so...we had a warranty issue this year, and found out that way...uggh
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I have a 200 Trail-et New Yorker. I love it. Horses load on it well, travel well in it.
    I do agree that I wish the lower setting on the butt bar/chest bar was even lower. I had a top of the line large almost make it under the butt bar in the lowest setting. The small pony I had in there the other day wouldn't have needed to drop her butt at all to go under.
    I do have the Xtra high/xtra wide.

This spring DH replaced the wood on the ramp. We replace the tires a few years ago. Everything else is original and in great condition.
    I do keep the trailer closed up when not in use but it lives outside and I am not meticulous about cleaning it.

They seem to hold their value well in my area. I don't know if that will change now that they have gone out of business.

If I needed to replace this trailer I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Mine is a 1987 Trail-Et and most people don't believe it is that old. It is strong, solid, and in great shape. I have had no problems with it. I keep thinking that I'd like to upgrade to a dressing room (mine is a regular 2H 7'6" tall but no DR), but I can't really justify getting rid of this trailer. I know what I've got and the dressing room is a convenience, so I guess I'll just keep hauling this one until it dies...or until I die, which will probably happen first.

If I were going to buy another trailer, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Trail-et.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I had a 2001 Trail-Et Jetstar (3h slant GN) that I loved, but sold when I got pregnant last year as I couldn't justify letting it sit. Now I'm in the market for a trailer again and kind of regret it....

Anyway, it was very solid, the frame (important to me after hearing about Sundowner issues) still looked practically new last year, the floor was solid, windows easy and dressing room very comfy.

I got it in large part because they make (I guess 'made') some of the larger slants available, and my mare *hates* being crammed into tiny slant stalls. She liked this one and rode/hung out very nicely on it.

Well, I guess I better hang on to my '94 Trail-Et New Yorker because if I can't replace it with another Trail-Et I'll have to spring for an Equispirit! When I went trailer shopping 5 years ago, the only thing I wanted was a Trail-Et New Yorker. I was very lucky to find a used one within 15 miles of my house. The former owners didn't take great care of it, so I replaced 1/2 the floor, did some other structural "assistance", and replaced the ramp. Now I'm confident that with the TLC I give it, it will last many many more years. Horses love hauling in it.
    Cindy

Baydream Guest

Default 1994 Trailet New Yorker tires?

Hi...new here and don't mean to hijack this thread! My husband just completed a renovation on our '94 New Yorker. (We purchased it used and loved the size and layout.) We sandblasted the frame, painted, put in new floors and even repainted the window frames!The only thing left is to replace the tires. Does anyone know what the factory ordered tire size is? The manufacturer sticker is cut off at the end...here is what I can see: ST205/75D...and it looks like a 14 or 15 maybe? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance We love this trailer and that is why we have spent so much time and effort restoring it!

Quote Originally Posted by Baydream View Post
    Hi...new here and don't mean to hijack this thread! My husband just completed a renovation on our '94 New Yorker. (We purchased it used and loved the size and layout.) We sandblasted the frame, painted, put in new floors and even repainted the window frames!The only thing left is to replace the tires. Does anyone know what the factory ordered tire size is? The manufacturer sticker is cut off at the end...here is what I can see: ST205/75D...and it looks like a 14 or 15 maybe? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance We love this trailer and that is why we have spent so much time and effort restoring it!
    I have the 2000 New Yorker and my tires are 205/75 R15.

Baydream Guest

Default Thanks for your reply!

Searched the web and called a few trailer places and they all agreed with you, Sonnysmom. Appreciate the help, can't wait to get on the road again!

'93 Trailet new yorker. Just had a small amount of work done on it--a piece of tubular steel near the ramp hinge that I had crunched while trying to maneuver on a narrow dirt road when hunting had rusted, and a small patch of steel near that.
    Some wiring--grounds weren't great.

I've replaced the ramp wood, and replaced tires.

The trailer guy I just took it to told me if I got the undercarriage scraped and painted, the trailer would outlive me.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Last edited by DD_TrailerMan; Jun. 30, 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    My husband mentioned he heard something to that effect awhile back but I saw that their website was still up so I was hopeful that it was only a rumor. I wonder where we will find parts now. (Hawk maybe?)
    I know when my fender needed replacing (LOL it's one of the fiberglass ones, yes, my trailet is right up there with Ghazzu's), TrailEt sent me to Redneck Trailer Supply in Alabama. It looks like they are set up to handle most of the "parts" needs for a lot of trailers.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.