The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whats with dogs who are afraid of lamb cooking?

No, I'm not kidding.

I have a beagle/JRT who, well, acts like a beagle/JRT all the time. He's obnoxious and outgoing and LOVES FOOD. Any food.

If you're in the kitchen, he's underfoot looking for ANY scraps he can find.

I don't eat lamb, so its never been an issue, but my roommate has gotten into cooking over the last year and started making lamb fairly regularly. The first time she cooked, my little guy, Gio, came unglued, shaking and hiding under the couch, slinking around with his tail between his legs and asking to be outside.

After that, she tried cooking lamb a couple different ways with the same reaction from him, as well as other meats the same way as she cooked the lamb with no reaction besides begging for a piece.

So its obviously JUST the lamb. I googled and found that many people have reported this, so I don't think it has anything to do with a bad experience while lamb was cooking or anything like that. I've had him since he was 6 months old, anyway, he was a turn-in to animal control and had been an outside pup.

Anyone else have this issue? Any guesses as to why he has such an issue with lamb?

Oh, and guess what kind of dog food he eats? Lamb and rice. Crazy mutt....

I can't stand the smell of cooking lamb - smells like burning wool to me. Maybe he gets that same smell from it that I do?
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

How does he react to Collard Greens?

When I cook Collards, my husband shakes, hides under the couch, slinks around with his tail between his legs and begs to go outside.

Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    How does he react to Collard Greens?

When I cook Collards, my husband shakes, hides under the couch, slinks around with his tail between his legs and begs to go outside.

lmao
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Lamb stinks when cooked...and if humans can smell it a lot more than other meats I'd imagine dogs have it 10x worse.
    Maybe someone told your dog that weird smell is someone cooking a dog?
    I wish my dog were afraid of lamb, instead he's horrified of toasters. No matter how much training I've tried getting him used to it...it hasn't worked worth crap. So now I either toast under the broiler (toast broils FAST!) or I just don't have toast. Ever. It's not worth therapy for my dog.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Lamb stinks. The smell is probably really intense for him.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

My beagle does that when I cook bacon.

She'll eat the bacon - but she slinks away when I'm cooking it.

I have no idea why she acts that way. She won't even look at me... just slinks away.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    My beagle does that when I cook bacon.

She'll eat the bacon - but she slinks away when I'm cooking it.

I have no idea why she acts that way. She won't even look at me... just slinks away.
    Maybe she got popped once by splattering grease when she was too close to the stove?

I've never cared for lamb. Tastes bad, smells bad, and it's so fatty to handle raw... just eww. Of course, I had a GSD that was allergic to all things poultry and a bunch of other stuff, so we ended up feeding him a raw diet that included a lot of lamb. It took forever to whittle enough fat off to make it edible for him. Made your hands soft but then they just reeked like lamb.
    Jer 29: 11-13

When I was first married, I bought lamb chops to cook for dinner. My husband returned from work, opened the door to our apartment and was horrified! He yelled at me that he could smell "cooking dog" all the way out to the parking lot. He refused to eat that night. In fact, he insisted on going out and leaving all the windows open to rid the apartment of the cooked dog smell.

Maybe the dog thinks the same thing?

SCM1959

PS Years later, I ordered lamb in a restaurant. My husband was all interested in my meal, ate some, and then practically finished my entire entree. "Why don't you ever make this?" he said. Grrr.

Every dog I have ever owned has been that way about lamb. It must smell similar to dog? ( How did your husband know what cooked dog smelled like - come to think of it - how would a dog know what cooked dog smelled like ?)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Wow, sure glad I don't get my lamb where you folks shop! We eat a lot of lamb, enjoy every bite. I would not say it stinks, but other folks often over-react to any new smell when cooking meat. Like beef or pork, lamb has a smell of it's own if the fire is real hot. Some swear venison is awful, when it doesn't if prepared well when the deer was shot.

We get gifted with venison from a professional hunter, who knows how to cut it and prepare the meat. Guests often ask what was served, they NEVER guess it was venison. Everyone who has had lamb at our house loved it, asked for the recipe so they could try it. This is any kind of lamb, chops, roasts, burger.

Some lamb sold, Western Lamb, is actually mutton. Lambs out west can't gain enough weight to sell in their first year, so they have special rules that allow them to be sold as Western Lamb in their second grazing year and it can taste nasty.

Good market lamb is taken in before they get any adult teeth. Young to older lamb age, it is all good eating if well fed, grass diet or grain and pasture. Lambs getting plenty of exercise have marbled meat, not fat layers. You want some fat to prevent meat being dry and chewy.

For some reason once lambs get the first adult teeth, the taste of meat changes. Gets that "mutton" flavor, which we always compare to chewing candles, and that is what the Western Lamb tastes like to us. Lots of the store lamb is Australian or from New Zealand, also can taste like mutton. YUCK. Mutton is a developed taste, you need to eat it from childhood.

Find a local source of lamb and help the farmer. Buy at the County Fair market auction. Those animals are usually prime grade lambs, bargin prices and the kids use the money for school, other animal projects. We never buy store lamb, it tastes nothing like local animals do. Of course anyone can ruin meat with poor preparation, over cooking, and lamb seems to fall in that catagory.

That husband story with home cooked, and expensive resturaunt prices is FUNNY! Must be a food snob, doesn't appreciate your good work because he didn't have to pay lots for it!!

Our dogs never have reacted like stated when we cook food. Always the hopeful look when meals are prepared.

Don't give any cooked lamb bones to dogs. Cooked lamb bones will splinter when chewed, leaving sharp pieces in the dog mouth.

Hope you folks can find some better sources of good lamb.

All my labs I had growing up reacted the same way - they would go nuts and not in a good way. But it was only w/ cooked lamb. I never ate it but my parents did. Never really knew what triggered them going crazy - figured it was the smell.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Weird. When I can afford it, I buy the ground lamb and cook it for the dogs. They sit right by the stove, drooling.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

It doesn't have anything to do with what type/quality of lamb or mutton you are cooking - I have experience with many cuts/types/ages/origins and it is always the same reaction from the dogs.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Bizarre. I have 5 dogs and they are underfoot, begging when I cook lamb--chops, roasts, shanks..doesn't matter. My SIL has 3 dogs, she eats lamb quite often and her dogs, too, are quite happy to help her in the kitchen.

I have to agree with the poster who questioned what kind of lamb you're cooking, as I love the smell. I recommend
    American lamb, generally younger and sweeter than Australian or NZ lamb.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

The common thread among the dogs seems to be their type. They all seem to be hunters. Beagle, JRT, Lab, GSP. What do you others have ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Corgi, Schnauzer, Aussie, Cavalier Mix and Wolfhound/Lab (biggest "helper" of all!). SIL has Pug, Lab Mix and Airedale.

Her neighbor has nearly 12 dogs, ranging from a Pom to several Aussies and a Pitbull and they are huge lamb fans....so maybe our dogs are just less discriminating? Or your dogs are on a pity quest that ends in more lamb going to them in the end after it is cooked, sauced and cut up
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

eponacowgirl is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

...and I just turned the oven on again to bake cookies. And here we go again. Panic. Apparently it still smells like lamb...

This is toooo funny!
    I thought it was just MY dog that was crazy! I had a hound many hears ago and one day I had bought ground mutton. I was frying it up as my dog started getting very upset. He wouldn't come into the kitchen at all and he was crying. I didn't know what was wrong with him & just thought he needed to go outside so I let him out. Later on when I had deemed the mutton un-eatable I thought to offer it to the dog... he went bananas, wouldn't go anywhere near it, showed his perlies & growled at it. I have never seen anything like it. The mutton went in the garbage, never bought it again and he never acted like that with any other food. How strange

Could have something to do with taste preferrence. I personally am not a fan of lamb or mutton, so to me it smells like crap. And being half english, my mother made lamb and mutton often when I was young. I ate at the neighbors on those nights...as well as with liver nights. Blech...the stink in the house! It's not the quality of the lamb that smells to me...it's just the fact that it's lamb. Goat smells like crap cooking too, BTW.
    My dog doesn't mind the smell of lamb cooking, I make it at home around once a month or so. (hubby and daughters love it) The dog is more than happy when he gets some mixed in with his dinner. So far just the toaster scares the hell out of him.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte