The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Stirrups that help with Joint Pain?!

Finally purchased a butet, and was curious if anyone had advice about sturrips that help with joint pain. My ankles hurt whenever im in 2 point and right after dismounting the outside of my knees kill!

Iv heard great things about Herm Sprenger but I'd really rather not spend 300 dollars for stirrups, so those would be my last resort. Any less expencive brands under $200 that work?

I have the same issues with my ankles and bought the Herm Sprengers. They are great and worth the money. I only paid around $210ish for mine though. I think it's a worthwhile investment, for sure. Dover has some HS comparable stirrups for much cheaper, but I didn't like those as much because they are white where the HS are black: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=502218535

Just personal taste. I have also found that the cheapo ACE ankle braces from CVS help with ankle pain. I use them more for running than riding, but could help.

I bought the Sprengers years ago and love them. They totally got rid of the pain in my knees and hips. I think they go for around $200 now, but they were worth every cent. Sometimes you can find them on eBay.

Default What about strengthening exercises?

NOT simply stretching.
    IME, lack of strength often coupled with at least one other physical problem (Ie bad hip) leads to ankle pain.

Other things to consider is change in horse size, altered or new technique....

Regards,
    Medical Mike
    equestrian medical researcher
    www.equicision.com

I'd definitely try the jointed ones before you buy them, if you can - I never had any sort of joint pain from riding, until I rode in my trainer's saddle w/ the jointed stirrups. My ankles and knees hurt SO much afterward I could barely walk!

Thumbs up MDC Ultimates

MDC Ultimates are jointed and have a knob at the top of the iron, which has three click turns. One of those clicks will hold the stirrup in the position best suited for your knees (so you are not fighting the stirrup leathers, which naturally positions the stirrup iron flat against the horse's side).

I forgot to turn one of them during a cross country jumping school and wondered why that knee was so sore? When I got off of my horse, I noticed that I had not clicked the top of that iron into my comfort position. Whenever I forget to make the click turn, that knee will be sore.

I really like these stirrups.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

The Compositi Reflex stirrup irons have a pivot sort of base that may be of help.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

sprengers, of course but I also find that my Pro Jump sure grip Wide stirrup "pads" help as much or more. They are a bit hard to find and very expensive for stirrup pads ($40ish) but that is a cheaper start than sprengers. The extra width on the foot pad helps a lot.

http://projump.com/ExtraPads.htm
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I have the Sprengers and Pro jump pads... and my knees really appreciate it!

Now one rider I know has weak ankles so she can't use these because they kill her ankles... so I don't know if they'd help you or not. Hopefully you can find some to borrow and try...

MDC Ultimates . Have them and love them . They flex but not a lot like some other brands - they never feel unstable at all.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

MDC Ultimates look great!! Should I go with those or just spend the extra 20 bucks and get the Sprengers?

Another vote for MDC Ultimates!

I had knee surgery in February and what was thought to be a torn meniscus was instead pretty significant arthritis. I had the original herm sprengers and upgraded to the MDC Ultimates (in black!). So far they have been great!

Good luck!

Here's the thread I posted when I was looking for feedback on stirrups:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...rups+arthritis

I haven't tried the MDCs, but one of the most comfortable lessons I've ever had was when I rode in my trainer's HS Bow Balance stirrups. They're the first thing I'm buying when I have an extra $200 sitting around.

The Royal Riders flexible stirrups are great for joint pain. I have just recently started riding with stirrups again after breaking my
    ankle 3 months ago and they have helped a ton with the pain. I tried both the Sprengers and the Royal Riders and found the wider footbed combined with the flexibilty was much better than the normal footbed. The Royal Riders flexible stirrups are expensive ($180) but well worth it in my opinion

Default Another MDC Vote!

Buy the MDCs. Not only are they jointed but you can choose what degree angle you want. I ride with one at 45 degrees and the other at 90 because that is what is most comfortable for my body.

Quote Originally Posted by oxeventer36xo View Post
    MDC Ultimates look great!! Should I go with those or just spend the extra 20 bucks and get the Sprengers?
    Get the MDC Ultimates !!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I just got a pair of the $200 Sprengers and LOVE them - I should have bought them years ago, no pain or numbness and my legs don't fee like they're going to break when I hop off at the end of a ride. Worth every cent.

Quote Originally Posted by HJALO View Post
    Dover has some HS comparable stirrups for much cheaper, but I didn't like those as much because they are white where the HS are black: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=502218535

I actually have the cheaper ones myself and I think they work pretty well. I would love a pair of the herm sprenger ones myself, but they are too expensive for me at the moment and the cheaper ones only run for about $45 dollars and they were a gift from my trainer Anyway, i really hadn't noticed how much the jointed stirrups actually work until I started riding at the college this semester. All their stirrups on their saddles were just plain old stirrup irons that did not flex, and my ankles were always killing me through those rides. However, I never have any kind of discomfort in the dover jointed stirrups. The only downside I do see to them is just what HJALO said- they are not as snazzy because of their colour, but I find them to be very effective
    Last edited by winegum; May. 21, 2010 at 01:45 PM.

Love my MDC Ultimates!! I have whacky knee conformation, and now with some back issues they are invaluable to being comfortable while in 2 point and jumping. I definitely notice when I haven't turned the iron one click, but even without doing that it still makes a difference compared to regular irons.

Got mine during one of VTO's sales, so they were much more manageable price wise.

I also have the "cheap" ones - can't recall the brand, but under $50 and they look fine and have made me much more comfortable. I don't which ones someone mentioned that are "ugly" - these look like regular shiney stirrups with a jointed foot. I have used them for going on 2 years of foxhunting, so they do make a difference and NO need to spend that much money to get the same effect ?