The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would you recommend a TB?

I have this friend of mine who is interested in buying a horse. She has been learning to ride, and I have been teaching her all about horses.

She is not interested in showing, just a horse that she can spend time with and ride. I think right now she wants to do some trail riding, but may want to do dressage in the future. But right now she is not ready to leave the ring. I have been teaching her 1-2 times a week and I think mostly she wants to rescue. Not rescue as in taking an beaten down horse on his way to the kill house, she is not experienced enough for that. but through Painted Spirit Ranch, in So. Ca.
    They take in horses from people who can no longer afford them and find good homes for them. and she wants to take one.

We found this TB gelding 12 yo. He is new there so there is not much info on him yet, we want to go look at him. They said he is family safe and calm. But I know you cannot always believe those.

I guess what Im trying to ask, is IF this horse is good, and family safe, and I ride him and she rides him, do you think it would be good? The reason Im asking is because my mom said that she thinks a first time horse buyer/ inexperienced rider should EVER buy a TB as the first horse.

I know that some track memories can come back, but would you just cross all TBs off the list?

I am a big TB lover! and I think that there quite a few out there who actually have brains, and would be great trail horses even though they are OTTBs.

WWYD??????

If you go to http://paintedspiritranch.smugmug.com/ and under "horses" look at Golaith, you can see him.

There's so many exceptions to the "breed rules" that really I don't even bother making assumptions on the personality of a horse based on its breed anymore.

A lot of folks will tell you that Quarter Horses are the quiet, dependable, beginner-friendly type of horse. My QH mare is a nutball who will gleefully throw any beginner or intermediate rider, and even gives seasoned riders a run for their money.

On the other hand, my mum owns a "hot, crazy" Arab. ANYONE can ride him. A monkey could ride him. He's safe, dependable, and will actually specifically behave even BETTER when there's a newbie on his back. He takes care of beginner riders.

Breed stereotypes basically never hold true, so find a horse who is a good match for your friend, regardless of breed. If this TB is quiet and safe when you go see him, then who cares if he's a TB?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    There's so many exceptions to the "breed rules" that really I don't even bother making assumptions on the personality of a horse based on its breed anymore.

A lot of folks will tell you that Quarter Horses are the quiet, dependable, beginner-friendly type of horse. My QH mare is a nutball who will gleefully throw any beginner or intermediate rider, and even gives seasoned riders a run for their money.

On the other hand, my mum owns a "hot, crazy" Arab. ANYONE can ride him. A monkey could ride him. He's safe, dependable, and will actually specifically behave even BETTER when there's a newbie on his back. He takes care of beginner riders.

Breed stereotypes basically never hold true, so find a horse who is a good match for your friend, regardless of breed. If this TB is quiet and safe when you go see him, then who cares if he's a TB?

This. Makes me crazy when any breed is labeled. You will ALWAYS find exceptions. Always.
    -Jessica

Oh my God, yes. Absolutely.

Go by the horse, not by the breed.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Thanks Guys! I too have heard that QH are good calm trail horses, but I have known quite a few VERY UNTRUSTWORTHY ones! And I have also seen amazing TBs, And Arabs! (actually this lady started on an arab! and now she rides a NSH)

I might go look at him tomorrow. will let you know how it goes.

I have an OTTB and he is a dream. He is calm, and takes care of his rider when needed. He goes when I say go, and stops when I ask. When I first got him he did get hot if he heard other horses running especially if there was an announcer. Like he remembered when he used to run. But he never like took off or anything. Just wanted to keep moving. So I walked him around and he was fine, as long as he was in motion.

I started off with a TB at age 52, and added a second at age 53. Both are very forgiving, easy to ride, rarely make a mistake and have saved my bacon many times. My 26 year old mare will carefully cart a child, handicapped adult or adult beginner around but will be a little hotter if you know what you're doing.

With TBs I find it's usually more about the rider's attitude than their skill. A rider who is tense and nervous = a TB that's tense and nervous Calm rider? Calm horse.

(most of the time, of course!)

There are always exceptions to every rule, but of the horses I've met throught the CANTER work, MOST are great on trails and that's how we get them re-started. And right now we have several who are super quiet and would be fine for a buyer like this. One was recently test ridden by a novice, and any time he sensed something not quite right he'd just slow down or stop. He's pretty lazy and I have yet to see him even spook

Another we had who was very similar in temperament also was test ridden by a novice, and he just packed him around like he'd been doing it his whole life - and he's not even really 4 yet

We have a couple others I would only recommend for really experienced people - but like anything else it's more about the individuals than the breed
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

OMG, I looooove him; thank god I am far away from California or I'd be looking for a truck and trailer....

I agree — look at the horse, not his papers. I am currently taking lessons on a six-year-old TB and he is the coolest schoolie in the string. Tractors, runway ponies, wild ducks, wind, rain, the ice cream truck — nothing excites him. (Maybe that's why he not at the track!)
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

I won't deny being biased but as the owner of 7 TBs I would recommend them to just about anyone. I have a 22 year old that we adopted from a rescue when he was 16. My daughter and I both learned how to event on him. She took him to pony club camp, she won the walk-trot year end championship, she won the MD region pony club dressage rally etc. Heck I even win on him most of the time but the point is I trust him with my body as well as my child. Praise doesn't come any higher than that. That said, an OTTB straight off the track or even slightly removed from the track is a no in your case. But a been there, done that teenager is exactly what the doctor ordered.

we are scheduled to go look at him tomorrow evening.
    I talked to my friend about a PPE, I need to contact my vet and see how much they are. PSR says they only have sound horses there, but I think he should still have a vet check, right? (after we have seen him and if we like him)

Also, can you give me some ideas of what to look for? I know some but I want to make sure that Im not missing anything.

Obviously make sure that there are not any lamenesses, signs of teeth, or back issues, skin problems etc.

Any help would be great!

You've got to go by Goliath himself.

I would not discount him just because he's a TB.

You do have a valid concern in that he hasn't been with Painted Spirit Ranch very long. How much have they tested him? How well do they really know him? This is what I would focus on during the visit.

He reminds me of my Manny, who is very kind and reliable.

On a completely unrelated note, I took a look at some of the other horses listed and, uh, what's going on in that first picture of Geranamo? It speaks well of Painted Spirit that they are honest in admitting Geranamo's issues.

He is CUTE.

I wouldn't judge him because he is a TB. I have known some TB's that are saner than my Appendix.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Just chiming in the choir for the 'it depends on the horse'

We sold one one time, even gelded late he was never anything but calm, life insurance on the trail

His half brother not so much. Pretty much loonytoons...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

the best horses I've ridden have been TB's! The crazy ones at my barn right now are WB's...Let us know how it goes!

Well, it can't hurt to try him.

I can only go by the TBs I've actually met and ridden. I don't think any of them would make a good first horse for an adult beginner who's not ready to leave the ring yet.

I'm sure there's an exception somewhere. But I sure as heck haven't made its acquaintance yet.

Another rescue in the area is...

http://ghorses.webs.com/horsesforadoption.htm

if Goliath doesn't work out.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    Oh my God, yes. Absolutely.

Go by the horse, not by the breed.
    Ditto. I'd buy a TB any day, would always seriously consider an Arab, am resisting the siren song of the gaited breeds, and you'd have to pay ME to take a QH. Biggest brats I ever rode were AQHA registered, sweetest most dead-broke schoolie I've ever been on was a TB.

One more rescue source:

http://redbucketrescue.org/

They are in Huntington Beach. They aren't all OTTBs either.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I have an OTTB that is the quietest, sanest, most bomb proof horse I've ever known. You can put little kids, scared to death adults, anyone who has never ridden, on this horse and he will carefully and safely tote them around on a trail ride. My swedish warmblood (you know, the one that is supposed to be the lazy "dumblood") would never be suitable for an inexperienced rider. As has been said many times go by the horse, not the breed. And yes, I would absolutely do a PPE. Hope you love him!