The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Changing a hunter girl to a jumper girl?

My "new" boy is a jumper. Period. Turns on a dime, quick, brave, honest to a fault. Gets a little, uh, intense at times. I love him. We click really well. However, I'm coming off a lower level hunter. We played in puddle jumpers a little but I wouldn't have called myself a jumper rider. I do enjoy the more technical courses and challenging questions.

For those of you who have switched over, how long does it take for the jumper rider mentality on course to become ingrained? I have "felt" sparks of it (like last night) but want to have it be more second nature.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Practice! A good fun exercise to try in a lesson is to set a course and put big numbers or colored paper on the jumps. Have your trainer just call out random sequences of fences while you figure out the best path on the fly. There is another clinic type exercise that uses a box of jumps and the same concept but I'm not sure I can fully explain that in text.