The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to Sell Saddle

I desperately need to sell my new Stubben jumping saddle (realized it didn't fit my horse AFTER it was too late to return it - has just 10 rides on it). I tried to sell it on ebay, but no luck. Can someone recommend a good place to sell it on consignment? Tried to sell it locally, with no luck.
    Elisha

tacktrader.com

Do you have a local Stubben rep ? Out of all the companies I've worked with, Stubben are one of the most customer-friendly and easy to work with. If you have a local rep, they are usually very approachable. If you don't have your own, give Beth Rebels a call (PM me if you can't find her), I"m sure she'll give you her best advice.

When you're selling on ebay, you do have to bite the bullet and set it at a low or no reserve. You will get a fair price, in general, in the end, but it's nerve-wracking. If you set a reasonable reserve price, i.e. one that you wouldn't mind selling it at, then you give buyers none of that excitement of a potential bargain, and you just won't catch their attention.

I find, in general, that if you list it right on ebay, it will sell, and for a fair price. This might not be the ideal price you had in mind, and that can be a hard realisation. When you sell it through your local tack store or rep, you're going to pay 20% or a few hundred $$s for their time and effort. (And, I have to say, having talked to many .... they are not going to get rich on that because carrying saddles around and finding clients to fit them on is long, slow work.)

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I agree about Stubben's customer service being great.

I had a new Stubben Roxane S that didn't fit my horse. The tree was the right size, but the fit was wrong. They offered to restuff it for me and told me to ride with a cotton sheet underneath the pad. I sent the saddle and the sheet to them, they restuffed it, and it fit my horse beautifully after that. No charge, except for the shipping to them.

I came to believe that new Stubbens are not originally stuffed to fit the normal TB back.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I'm sort of in the same situation as the OP. I have a saddle that I'm trying to sell but it is literally new with the tags on it. I can't return it and would just like to just get my money back. I got a super deal on it - someone should be happy to have this saddle at this price! No luck locally and no luck on eBay.

What I don't understand is that on eBay there was the exact same saddle that had been used (and I do mean used!!!) that was bid up to $300 less than what my price was.

I have only sold one saddle on ebay, and I had to relist twice before it sold. I came off my price some from the original to the relist, but not much. I think the last time I chose the make an offer option, and tho I got some stupid offers, I finally got a good one. I think with saddles, people watch and watch and hope you will come off your price...or they are hem and hawing about if it's gonna fit, (can I find one locally to TRY), how much can they spend, etc. I know when I bought one on ebay I had a lot of angst about it, as my horse had been SO hard to fit. The saddle I bought I watched through a couple relists...I sold it the same way! Cuz it fit him, but I couldn't stand it!

Check out Rick's Heritage Saddlery online. They are in PA/NJ but are considered a great consigner in a very horsey part of the country. I have sold 2 saddles through them and they sold quickly. They do charge a commission, though.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Thanks so much! We don't have a local Stubben rep, but I'll contact them anyway. I really only want half of what I bought it for new because I understand the market is so bad now and I just need the money to pay some bills (my old mare came back to me so now I'm paying board on two horses)......we all know what that is like
    Elisha

Quote Originally Posted by SLNELSON25 View Post
    I think with saddles, people watch and watch and hope you will come off your price...or they are hem and hawing about if it's gonna fit, (can I find one locally to TRY), how much can they spend, etc. I know when I bought one on ebay I had a lot of angst about it, as my horse had been SO hard to fit. The saddle I bought I watched through a couple relists...I sold it the same way! Cuz it fit him, but I couldn't stand it!
    Do you think it would help if I offered a return policy (minus ebay fees) if the saddle doesn't fit?
    Elisha