The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite awe-inspiring place traveled?

Outside U.S. - Mine was/is Machu Picchu. Amazing and I'd love to go again. I'm not sure I will ever see such a place again.

In the states - Carlsbad Caverns

Ellis Island for me... so much history, so many people travelled through there, it's just huge to me. Some of us students got to go to NY my senior year in school... I had a blast. Being from a small town in the midwest, one of my friends called our trip "Country hicks go to the big city".
    Conned our chaperone into taking a few of us to CBGBs just to see it, they weren't open but one of the employees let us go in and take some pics, look around. That was also pretty awesome.

Haven't been outside of the states yet but will someday!! So many places I want to go, so little money to do it. The bf and I are trying to save up money right now to take a road trip to Maine... I think after months we're up to about $65 all told.... That might get us to Wisconsin and back
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

I think one of the most awesome and breathtaking places I've been was the Shenandoah National Park (Virginia) especially because we were there when a thunderstorm came through, which was SO cool to watch it come then go, and was then followed by a huge rainbow.

I haven't traveled much though, but this definitely tops my list so far.

Sedona, AZ. It's sort of like seeing how earth was made.

The Beaches of Normandy, France. And the nearby Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial in Colleville-sur-Mer.

In the US - that's hard - the Redwoods! I could list 100 places, but standing next to those trees is mind boggling. A living creature THAT BIG!

In the world? Venice would be my favorite city, and the County Antrim coast in Ireland would be my favorite location.

Luzern Switzerland. Went there this past Christmas. Absolutely breathtaking. Took a tram up to the top of Mount Pilatus and it was just swiss alps for as far as the eye can see. So stunning.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Big Sur, California ... standing on top of those cliffs and looking down to the ocean at sunset was incredible.

Shenandoah is another really lovely place.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Semuc Champey, Guatemala.

Almost made me believe in god What gorgeous scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaideux View Post
    The Beaches of Normandy, France. And the nearby Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial in Colleville-sur-Mer.
    I did the Canadian version though Vimy ridge and Juno beach

Traveling through France and Belgium stopping at mostly WW1 cemeteries and memorials. To see the sheer scale of lives lost blew my mind completely and still does.

In terms of impact that trip has outweighed all other trips I have taken around the world. I recommend it everyone.

The village of Eze was stunning (French Riviera)... Bora Bora was pretty awesome... the view from the Effiel Tower over Paris... the mountains outside of Spruce Meadows....

Lots of places. Hard to pick just one good one.
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by WorthTheWait95 View Post
    Interlaken, Switzerland and all of the amazing hiking nearby. I've never been anywhere as beautiful. I've been there once a year for the last three years and hope and to keep that tradition going. Gorgeous and some of the best hiking and swimming anywhere.
    Very beautiful, I camped on the beach in Interlaken (70 euros a night to pitch out tent ) and whole heartily agree about the hiking. I especially like the fact that you can take the trams\lifts to the top of the hills so you can start your hike up high and work your way down. And so fun to run into herds of cows with their bells on!!

This thread is making me all nostalgic for travel. I haven't been anywhere for a couple years

Quote Originally Posted by WW_Queen View Post
    The village of Eze was stunning (French Riviera)... Bora Bora was pretty awesome... the view from the Effiel Tower over Paris... the mountains outside of Spruce Meadows....

Lots of places. Hard to pick just one good one.
    Loved Eze! and Monte Carlo. Paris! I also loved Strasbourg and would like to go back.

Need to step away from the travel thread...

My favorite in the US - Bryce Canyon!! So cool. Some of the darkest skies in NA for star gazing and such cool geological features.

Mauritius made a mark on me. I love the people there and wish I could've done more for them in my 2 years.

I will always hold the country in high regard.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Rwanda. The people, the country, and the devastating past make it heartbreakingly beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Very beautiful, I camped on the beach in Interlaken (70 euros a night to pitch out tent ) and whole heartily agree about the hiking. I especially like the fact that you can take the trams\lifts to the top of the hills so you can start your hike up high and work your way down. And so fun to run into herds of cows with their bells on!!

This thread is making me all nostalgic for travel. I haven't been anywhere for a couple years
    Agreed...and where did my post go? At least you qouted it because it apparently went poof!

The Galapagos Islands.
    CRAYOLA POSSE - Olive Green
    Champions aren't born. They are built little by little, day by day, with patience and love for the art. -Nick Skelton

Ohhh I'd love to see Machu Picchu. The documentary on it is amazing.

My vote, the southern lake region of Chile, Ancud and the boat trip thru the Andes to the Argentine side.

USA - I concur -- Big Sur!! The Sycamore Canyon beach there, the old highway that winds back where it looks like dinosaurs roam. And the total extreme between the beautiful calm Mediterranean flavor of Carmel to the primitive rawness of the Sur.

And Cape Cod, Provincetown.

Maybe the Badlands too, upper Idaho, the top of Aspen Mountain, Vail after a fresh snow
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Outside the US...the Burren overlooking Galway Bay, Ireland

In the US, Sedona and the Grand Canyon
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Outside US: Northern Ireland, on a nice empty cliff near the Giant's Causeway... sprawling alone in the tall sweet grass and having the ocean crashing beneath me. Absolutely amazing.

In US: The road between Terlingua and Lajitas, TX. Middle of the desert near Big Bend, nobody around but javelinas and cacti, driving along in a '72 Dodge pickup singing along to Robert Earl Keen.

Those may be among my two favourite memories ever.