The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default We know how long you dated now... when did you know s/he was a 'keeper'?

I thought this deserved it's own thread. It's so fun to hear what put certain people over. Mine is long, but worth sharing...

I was pretty sure my hubby was going to be the guy- I'd never wanted to get married but from the day we met, he had quite a hold on me. Fast forward through several years of casual friendship; we started dating, it felt as right as I'd expected it would, and I figured eventually we would do the deed. No rush.

That is until....

4th of July several years ago, we were down at the lake house. A friend had come up on his boat to hang out for a bit. We spent a couple of hours on the dock, had a couple of beers, launched a couple of firecrackers, good time had by all. We watched the fire works, sent friend on his merry way and called it a night. When we walked back into the cottage, I called my dog.

Now, I need to explain- my dog was The Dog. She was 13 at the time, and had been with me for most of both of our lives. I tell people all the time that she was my soul mate; Rob is great and all, but that dog owned my soul. She was very, very important.

So I called my dog, who had been locked up all cozy with her blanket and ear plugs because she was not a fan of fireworks. And she didn't come. It didn't take long to discover that she had somehow managed to pry the back door open and tear through the screen door. We had no idea how long she had been gone. She was obviously terrified, she was old and infirm, and the cottage is located at the bottom of a long, steep hill, at the top of which is a major country route with no lights and minimal speed enforcement. I was quite sure she was dead.

We went tearing into the night, hollering our fool heads off. The neighbors up the beach said that they had seen her about an hour ago- a long hour, during which there had been more fireworks- and that she had run from them, up the hill and towards the road. I broke down, just completely beside myself, guilt ridden and inconsolable. We headed up the hill towards the road, not certain if we wanted to find her there or not. She wasn't in the road immediately above the cottage. If she'd gone up the road, she'd surely been hit; if she'd gone off the road, she very well might have been in the lake, or at the bottom of a ravine.

I had put a glow stick on her collar earlier in the night to keep track of her before the fireworks started. Coming back down the hill I caught a glimpse of a blue light, and be still my heart, there she was- trapped on a ridge leading back down from the road. She had very sensibly stopped moving when she hit that ridge- one more step and she would have fallen off the edge and down the hill. I climbed up to her and she followed me down the safest path I could find like a freaking donkey, sure footed and careful and just THRILLED to see me, but at the bottom of the ridge her old lady legs gave out, and she laid down, unable to go any further.

My now husband sat by her for a moment and held her head while she panted and I cried, and then he picked up her 110 lb. self and carried her, in the dark, all of the way back down that ridiculous long road and steep hill, into the cottage and laid her on her blanket as gently as could be. He could have gone back for a car, or carried her just to the door of the cottage, or any number of more sensible things, but he didn't.

So I decided I should marry him immediately. And I did. And the dog lived another happy, lovely year.

Your turn!
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

What a wonderful story, Rubyfree. It sounds like you really did get a keeper.

That's a GREAT story!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Hmm... I knew he was special right away. We met over two years ago when I was renting a barn off his dad. I was with someone, he was. But there was something about him, he just gave me such butterflies.

Last August I was going to get my hair done in the mall by a friend. He happens to manage a store there. We ran into each other again, and I asked how his girlfriend was. He said they weren't together anymore, and I practically yelled "WE SHOULD GO FOR DRINKS". Luckily, he wasn't turned off by my volume issue, and out for dinner we went. It was a day or two before I was going on vacation to meet my family.

We came back to his place and watched movies and I wound up staying over (I behaved!) and then we didn't see each other for close to ten days. Well, I came back and... we've spent a total of one night apart since then. I knew the moment he hugged me that this felt different, it just felt like everything was right in the world. I have to honestly say I knew right away. There have been moments that really highlighted it but... I always knew.

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    (snip)
    Last August I was going to get my hair done in the mall by a friend. He happens to manage a store there. We ran into each other again, and I asked how his girlfriend was. He said they weren't together anymore, and I practically yelled "WE SHOULD GO FOR DRINKS". Luckily, he wasn't turned off by my volume issue, and out for dinner we went.
    It's super fun when your internal controls go all solar-flare-wacky in front of people you want to impress.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

when I realized that he loved me no matter how dirty, sweaty, stinky I was after doing stalls, when I wanted to be with him ( and his 2 girls ) as much as possible. Course it helps that he is a farmer -- who supplied some of the hay that my barn used!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post

Your turn!
    I knew the moment I saw him.

Yes, it's corny and please stop laughing and singing Some Enchanted Evening, people!

For me, it was the day he left to run the Chicago Marathon. I all of sudden realized that I was really bummed I wasn't going to be there to cheer him on. And the day he got back? Well, I made sure he knew I was all in.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I met my love over ten years ago online, he is from Australia and was single at the time and we were just friends. In fact at the time I was dating only women, but we stayed friends through his marriage, having a child and divorce, all the while both supporting each other through hard times and laughing through the good. He finally came to visit me two years ago, he planned to use my place as home base while he traveled up and down the West coast taking photographs (his passion). I did NOT plan on getting together with him, but I didn't last a week (I know I'm such a ho, although I'd been living like a nun for at least two years hehe).

I kept telling myself well just have fun, but right before he came here I had a pretty severe medical condition start out of no where. I had life threatening menstrual bleeds and spent most of my time anemic and feeling tired. He didn't bat an eyelash, he kept me company at the hospital when I had to be there for transfusions, went with me to medical appointments, and even drove me to school. I was in my last year of college and trying to function on a 7.9 blood count.

He had always encouraged me through school but the way he stayed with me, but didn't make me feel like an invalid, I just fell in love with him completely. I should also mention I'm in a wheelchair so during the times when I wasn't having "issues' we'd do our best to go off for adventures, went to a lot of National Parks, fishing. The places my chair couldn't go, he'd leave me for a bit with a good book (very happy) and go off and take pictures of the places I couldn't get to and come back and show me...

He got to see me graduate but his visa ran out and he had go home shortly afterward. We got engaged shortly after and haven't seen each other in nearly two years, but he has his last appointment for his Fiance visa this coming week and if all goes well he'll be here in late June or early July. He is truly the love of my life and I cannot wait to get him back. We plan on marrying in early August and spending the rest of our lives together...honestly tho I think I knew the second my friends and I got him at the train station. Just something about the way we hugged and met after ten years of friendship it was like well where have you been?

Rubyfree-what an awesome story! You definitely got a winner! My boyfriend and I have been dating for 3 1/2 years. Here's our story (sorry, it's longish):

We met through my roommate (a mutual friend)-she was having a bad time with a guy so he sent her chocolates as a "hope you feel better soon". So he became my Favorite Person I'd Never Met. At the time Roomie, BF, and I all worked office jobs and were bored out of our minds so we'd send each other messages all day on Facebook so we got to learn fun facts such as he loved Boxers and I just happened to have one (among other things). Roomie convinced BF to come visit us for Mardi Gras and go to a formal, fancy schmancy Mardi Gras ball as my blind date. So he came for the weekend and we had a blast! When he left (he lives in NC, I live in LA) he gave me a HUGE hug, but he didn't crush me. I had an ex that used to love to give me big bear hugs and crush my ribs and I hated it so that was something small that really stuck with me. He left the weekend thinking "well she's cool and that was fun, but we're far away" I left the weekend kind of smitten

We kept in touch and I ended up going to his house for one weekend of my spring break about a month and a half later and it was like I'd know him all my life-we were totally comfortable around each other. Plus he earned MAJOR sweep me off my feet points by planning the entire weekend, telling my Roomie, and having her pack for me. I had no idea what was coming, just what I had to wear. (The weekend consisted of a day at the zoo on Sat followed by a nice brunch on Sunday). I loved that!

At the end of that semester he called me and said he wanted to fly me up to see him (I was going to spend the summer in Wyoming), but I couldn't miss my last class because it was a small one and the teacher knew us all and attendance was expected. He sounded so sad on the phone that I decided to wake up super early (14 hour drive), email in "sick" to my teacher, and get there before he got home so I was waiting outside his door when he got home from work. (Side note: I'm a type-A, responsible, look, weigh your options, look again, then leap kind of person. I do not do spontaneous surprise trips-especially not 14 hour ones!)

So we kept talking, decided we'd give it a shot, and I went to have Thanksgiving with his family that November. We'd seen each other 6ish times at that point and driving down to his sister's house the day after Thanksgiving to hang out with his family some more, it just hit me. I'm going to marry him. There was no great act, no sudden change, I just knew. 1 more year until I get my Master's and we can get married and it can't get here soon enough! (I took a year off between undergrad and grad school and lived in the same state, but the only grad school I got in was back in LA so we're back to long distance)
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

When my bf (who is anal-neat freak through and through) who forbid me from even washing my horsey clothing in the brand new, sterilized, top-of-the-line washing maching ended up washing a couple of my saddle pads I was planning on washing in the sink.

I came home and saw them sitting on the stairs CLEAN and was in fear of my life, like someone had come home, murdered my bf and then conveniently done my horse laundry.

When I went in to ask him about it....he just sort of said "Well, they looked dirty. I know you like your horse stuff clean, so I washed them for you."

Wow.... totally blew my mind.

We're married now. I'm still not allowed to do horse laundry, but I do it while he's out of town, and he overlooks the hairs left in the dryer.
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Ruby, it was priceless. The date was even worse... when I get nervous, I talk a LOT and extremely fast. And I was shaking. Normally? First dates are something I'm great at (I'm in sales, so I'm good at selling myself! LOL). But not with him... Thank God he didn't think I was a total lunatic and saw through it.

And what I really loved the most about him at first? He knew where we were going (long term) from the beginning. I love that he knows what he wants... and it's me. Probably a month or two in he said he was going to fence in his side field, I asked "For What?" (he's like anti-farmer, and he hates his dad's cows) he replied "Oh, maybe cows" I said "You hate cows" and he turned to me and said "Or... Horses."

Totally his offer, but I realized he really wanted me and the horses around. He's the stability I have never had in my life, and I absolutely love that I can depend on him and trust him completely.

We're not married yet, but plan on it in a couple years, but....

When his way of flirting with me & trying to spend more time with me was showing up at the barn I worked at with home-made cookies, and offered to help me clean stalls/sweep/turnout horses.

When he was fine with the fact that he was below my beloved horse Vinnie on my priority list.

When he said I looked good in Carhartt overalls and muck boots.....and the fact I'm usually covered in dirt, hay, and wearing no make-up doesn't faze him at all.

<3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I knew the moment I saw him.

Yes, it's corny and please stop laughing and singing Some Enchanted Evening, people!
    And weren't you really young?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I knew in college when my now husband cleaned me up after a bout of the intestinal flu. It takes quite a bit of fortitude to clean up your girlfriend after she has thrown up and had diarhea at the same time.

If that isn't love, I don't know what is.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I knew he was the one the day he had to shot my horse.

There is much more to the story. We starting dating Jan 2, 2009, We had been talking on line for a month and he was in FL for christmas I picked him up from the airport. A month later he had to go away for 6 weeks for work. Again I picked him up from the airport (we have to note that the airport was 10 mins from my house and over hour from his) He spent the night at my farm. We got up late.

The horses had been playing outside (out 24/7 free choise hay). I had my shower and looked out the window. That is when I saw my life horse standing, there just was something not right. So I go running out of the house to see what is wrong with him.

My BF was watching me from the window of my bedroom. He knew that something was very wrong by the way I was acting.

I came back to the house crying. His leg was broken and I had to call the vet or my ex to come put him down. I didn't want him to suffer the wait for the vet or my ex (1/2 hour or better). He went next door and got a gun.

I had gone back out to be with my horse. He came over and set me to the house. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done because I have been there with ever other horse when they where put down. (I am crying now) He did what had to be done so that my horse did not have to wait for the vet to come.

the time of it was so that as I was cloesing the door the shot went off. He then came in and pick up the mess that was me. He called eveyone that need to be called and worked with my exh to have my love Sambro moved and put to rest.

That was when I know that he was the one that would be there for me for the rest of my life. He is the best guy out there and I know that I come first to him everyday.

We where just married on May 8th 2010.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed