Standard OT "Music: What should we be listening to" thread
I always seem to get some great new music from OT days....so this time I'll start the thread. What music should we all be listening to?" Maybe state your favorite/typical genre so if it's in our complete "yuck" category...we can skip right over it. I'll start the ball rolling:
Genre: Indie/Alternative/Alt. Pop
1. Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers - a tad on the country side (think Wilco) but with melodies that will make you smile and lyrics that will touch your heart. Nice guys to boot.
2. Frightened Rabbit - I'm seeing them on Thursday...can't wait!
3. The National - Check out Boxer (Apartment Story, Slow Show and Fake Empire for an introduction.)
Last edited by RugBug; May. 18, 2010 at 04:37 PM.
Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"
1) Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, try "Majik"
2)Carrissa's Wierd, try "Yours Truly, Ugly Valentine"
3) Avett Brothers, try "I and Love and You"
4) Rosie Thomas, try "Wedding Day" and "Two Dollar Shoes"
5) Band Of Horses, "The Funeral"
6) *my favorites* The Cavesingers, try "Dancing on Our Graves" and "Helen"
I listed to mainly punk rock, alternative, and bluegrass.
Haven't heard much new music the last few years...mostly listening to older stuff.
I just got an Uncle Tupelo CD for my birthday, listening to that a lot, (but I think it's a 1994 album so not exactly new).
Against Me, Smashing Pumpkins, Bouncing Souls, the Epoxies, Modest Mouse, the Ramones, and the Jayhawks are on my playlist right now.
Also MC Chris....I recently discovered there is a "nerd core" type of rap......LOL. I have to listen to a lot of rap at work and I HATE most rap.... but this "nerd core" is hilarious.... rapping about Star Wars and computers and being a geek. An example (and I suppose I should at a "Parental Advisory" to it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRhnw...next=1&index=1
Not sure how many people here watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force (it took me forever to get into that stupid cartoon but now I love it) MC Chris is the voice of "MC Pee Pants" the spider....
Also, totally different from the above link, but on NPR's World Cafe I heard a kind of neat song the other day- it's a folk band called "Among the Oak & Ash" and the song was "All the Pretty Little Horses" (which I think is based on an old lullaby). This is their MySpace page, you have to scroll down and pick the song: