The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Topic for the Ladies- Birth Control

So this is perhaps a delicate question, but I'm looking for advice.

I'm currently on a low hormone birth control called Mononessa. I had been on Ogestrel (sp?) but I lost my health insurance and it was costing me approx. $30 a month and the Mononessa costs $9 a month.

I think it's not working for me. I've had some breakthrough bleeding and if I'm even 12 hours late taking it, I start bleeding. I got my period last night, and I've spend all morning on the bathroom floor with horrible nausea and cramps. I thinking that perhaps I need something with higher hormone levels?

I'll be going back to the Dr. as soon as I can get some funds together. I'd love some ideas of something that I can try that might work a little (or a lot!) better for me.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I love Yaz, but even with insurance until I reach my deductible it runs me about $70 a month. Ouch.

I've used Kariva (generic for Mircette) for several years now, and have not experienced any sort of side affects at all in all those years. I've been really happy with it.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I got Implanon (it's about the size of a matchstick and gets implanted into your inner upper arm, lasts for 3 years). I really like it. I do spot pretty regularly, but it's not even so bad as to need a liner. It's only been 1.5 months though, so I may even out with a little time.

My insurance covered the whole thing- office visit, proceedure, and device. It's perfect for someone like me who fails at taking the pill, changing a ring, or changing a patch. I either forget to take it off in time, or forget to renew the prescription in time, or in some other way sabotage the effectiveness.

I also love Yaz, and luckily I can get it mail order through my insurance for $30 for three months. I tried Yazmin before Yaz but it wasn't strong enough for my crazy hormones.

If you're in the US you could try to go to a planned parenthood. They have that sliding scale system and all.

When I was on the pill I took yasmin, which was okay and ortho tri-cyclin lo, which I liked very much. But, everyone is different so the low-hormone methods that were good for me don't seem to be good for you too.

Just put a call in to the Dr. and tell them what's going on. They will change my prescription and call in the new one if needed. Saves time and money to do it this way.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Yep-- find yourself a PP.

12 hours late is WAY too late for a pill. You really need to be taking them pretty much on the same hour each day. They are not effective if taken haphazardly, so that really may be your problem. Try to keep a regular schedule for a month and see if things get better. If not, off to a PP and discuss a different option.

Oh I should as that I've tried about 10 different BC and it just took time to find one that worked for me. Most of them would make me a raging B***h.

I can't even remember the names of all of them.

I second the idea of planned parenthood or a similar type organization. When I was in college I could get it free through my student health center on campus.

I started taking BCP to regulate my cycle and like you mentioned I start bleeding as soon as I miss a pill. I've been through roughly six different formulations and types in eight years. Best advice I have is to work with your doctor, I've had the best luck working with female nurse practitioners in an OB/GYN practice. Mine says I probably need to just switch BCPs annually so my body won't override the hormones in the BCP.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kat View Post
    If you're in the US you could try to go to a planned parenthood. They have that sliding scale system and all.

When I was on the pill I took yasmin, which was okay and ortho tri-cyclin lo, which I liked very much. But, everyone is different so the low-hormone methods that were good for me don't seem to be good for you too.
    I do go to PP. As it is, even there visits run $70. I'm really interested in the new IUD Mirena (sp?) but I have a feeling there is NO way I can afford it.

I'd like to try to keep my costs in the $20 or less range. Unfortunately it's a necessary evil in my budget, but a HELL of a lot cheaper than a kid (or an abortion).
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I've been on generic Ortho Tri Cyclen for about 8 years now and love it. I've never had a problem and it is pretty cheap (with insurance)- I think like $8.

I am on the generic Othro-tri-cyclin, called sprintex it is 9 bucks a month at Walmart $25 at CVS. I have been on it for years and no problems.

I used Seasonique for several years and really liked it. You take the pills for 3 months at a time, so you only have 4 periods a year. I remember my dr saying a lot of people have spotting, but I never had anything. I always got the generic version and with insurance, it cost me only $5 every 3 months. Can't beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaideux View Post
    I got Implanon (it's about the size of a matchstick and gets implanted into your inner upper arm, lasts for 3 years). I really like it. I do spot pretty regularly, but it's not even so bad as to need a liner. It's only been 1.5 months though, so I may even out with a little time.

My insurance covered the whole thing- office visit, proceedure, and device. It's perfect for someone like me who fails at taking the pill, changing a ring, or changing a patch. I either forget to take it off in time, or forget to renew the prescription in time, or in some other way sabotage the effectiveness.
    Does it make you gain like the other ones do (i.e. I know when I'm on the pill because suddenly my pants don't fit). What if you want to get pregnant in a couple years? I know these are gyno questions, but just curious.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Mmm, I haven't noticed weight gain, but I'm fluffy to start on a pretty sturdy/tall frame so a few pounds here and there don't really jump out on me... but the scale hasn't cried yet, so I think I'm the same?

And if you want to have kids before the 3 years are up, you get it taken out. It's a minor proceedure and they have to cut the skin, etc, but once it's out you able to try like... that same day. Maybe the next day. For sure not long at all. The literature says that there can be complications getting it out, in the sense that if it shifts they might have to do an ultrasound to find it (it is supposed to stay just below the skin, totally feel able with light/medium touch), or there may be scar tissue (which is a risk with all skin slicing). It's not common, though, and the literature has to tell you every. single. thing. that happened during the trials even if it only happened to one person.

It literally took 20 seconds to put in after a few minutes of prep (sterilizing, numbing, etc). I figure I can deal with it if it takes more than a few minutes to get it back out. The insurance of NO kids for 3 years will be worth whatever hassle getting it out is.

Didn't read all the replies... but I finally came off birth control after being on it for 7 years with no break... I was falling apart. No problems with it for 6 years but the last year... I had break through bleeding ALL the time (was on 5 different types of bc in the last 15 months and nothing changed it), felt tired all the time, sick to my stomach and had acne show up out of no where and not go away!

Well, after tons of tests... (regular doc and alternative medicine), it shows up that my adrenals are pretty much shot to hell because of it... that plus I have a yeast problem- Candida actually (and B.C. is one of the causes of it).

I've been "detoxing" for the candida and on that diet... off b.c. for 3 months now and I feel MUCH better!!! Per the doctor... "kido, you are going to have to find another way to not have kidos..."... mind you I'm 23 but he said NO way I'm going back on that stuff... it literally fried me...

Good luck!!! I'm single right now, so not worried about the whole pregnant thing... and I'll have to find something else whenever I go back in a serious relationship... but that's not around the corner... so for now, i'm taking care of myself
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

when I was on BC, I really liked the Nuva Ring. If you're taking your pill 12 hours late, it might be worth looking into. Nuva Ring is low dose as well, although it doesn't work for everyone.

Try Loestrin24Fe. I've been on it for almost four years now with no weight gain, no mood swings, and best yet: virtually no periods at all.

If I haven't met my insurance deductible, it costs me around $70, BUT my ob/gyn gave me a discount card where, insurance or not, I never pay more than $24 for it. Call your ob/gyn and see if this is an option for you.

I also just went off B.C.P after being on it for nearly a decade. It was depleting my body of much needed vitamins, but I was on it to regulate my period.

My naturalpathic doctor put me on this stuff called "Fem Tonic". It's a liquid herb stuff I take morning and night. It is supposed to help cleanse my body of what the pill put in it and re-align my system. Hopefully my killer time of the month side effects don't come back. I shall see soon! Yikes.

B.C.P does serious damage to women's bodies. If you don't need it for birth control, there are better and healthier ways to regulate.