The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cart rack for trailer

A while back there was a thread about this.
    I saw this on the ocala craigslist today:
    http://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/1744903685.html

Thought someone might be interested.

Drivingforum Guest

Default Interesting

I have never seen one of these made before. Not sure I would want my carriage outside like that due to dirt and weather (I am in NH). I have a 16 foot trailer and the carriage is inside up front, horse in back. I get it up there easily myself with ramps. What do other people do?

Linda

I believe that's the co. Cartfall used to build hers. They are very reputable and well known. The price looks reasonable too. People could buy a smaller trailer if the cart didn't have to go inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Yip View Post
    I believe that's the co. Cartfall used to build hers. They are very reputable and well known. The price looks reasonable too. People could buy a smaller trailer if the cart didn't have to go inside.
    Yup that is one exactly like mine. Don;t recognize the trailer its on, but I would imagine it is one of the folks with the Central Florida Buggy Club.

Linda (aka Driving Forum) I too have a 16 foot stock trailer, but it is so nice to put the cart on the back and forget about it until we get home. They get some dust, but nothing too bad. A carriage won;t go on it only a 2 wheel cart.

The gentleman who builds them offered to make one for my marathon carriage But that amount of weight would have seriously impacted the weight ratio of my trailer and the way it tows.

These can be put on any trailer easily!!! They come off quite easily leaving only the hinges.

I like the idea of it...but putting a cart with 52" wheels on it doesn't seem like it would work that well. I don't know though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I like the idea of it...but putting a cart with 52" wheels on it doesn't seem like it would work that well. I don't know though.
    I had mine built to carry my 45 inch wooden wheel cart . No problems. My wooden cart is at the maximum width of my trailer. I would hesitate to carry a wider cart than what I have. I know some of the draft carts can get big.

One of the members of this forum had one built to carry a draft cart. But they had a local welder make theirs out of steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartfall View Post
    I had mine built to carry my 45 inch wooden wheel cart . No problems. My wooden cart is at the maximum width of my trailer. I would hesitate to carry a wider cart than what I have. I know some of the draft carts can get big.

One of the members of this forum had one built to carry a draft cart. But they had a local welder make theirs out of steel.
    That would be us. We carry a draft cart with 48" wheels with no problems whatsoever. It is right at the width of our trailer. I can't imagine one a little bit wider than the trailer would be a problem as long as the wheels would fit in the channels ....but don't have one to try.
    The other female in my husband's life has four legs

Quote Originally Posted by horsegeeks View Post
    That would be us. We carry a draft cart with 48" wheels with no problems whatsoever. It is right at the width of our trailer. I can't imagine one a little bit wider than the trailer would be a problem as long as the wheels would fit in the channels ....but don't have one to try.
    No problems with the shafts hitting anything (branches/bridges etc.)? That'd be my only fears...seems an elegant design.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

We drive under some big oak trees occasionally that w have to watch for. But my RV is as tall as my shafts. about 11 feet. My shafts granted are only 76 inches long --plus the wheel raidus plus the foot off of the ground.

My bigger cart is a bit taller, but most bridges are at least 16 feet where we are. My trailer with the cart on can go into my barn door which rolls up to 12 feet.

The guy who created it is truly a metal work artist. He makes those beautiful gates you see on fancy homes, does metal art work for local towns and businesses. They do some awesome stuff. He is even making his own tag along trailer behind a m/c to camp in. Incredible.

Plus he is a really nice guy.

We definitely have to be mindful of low hanging branches and other obstructions but as Cartfall says most all places have adequate height for clearance. Any overpass under 13' are marked as low overhead so we are forewarned. It sure makes it nice that Rita and I can take both carts and horses on our drives.

I guess you'd need to have a front unloading option on your trailer if you were going to do that, in case you had to get the horses out in a hurry!

Given that the back of my trailer is what gets the most filthy from road grime, I'll keep my cart in the bed of the truck, but I know not everyone has that option.

So . . . that begs the question

Do you have to unload the cart before you can open the back of the trailer or will the frame swig wide WITH the cart on it?

If it WILL swing with the cart, then the fear of having to have 2 trailer exits is lessened

Besides, how many times have you actually heard of needing an emergency trailer unload
    We've been playing with horses for well more than 30 years and I can honestly say Ive heard of less than a dozen emergency trailer unloads in all those years - but maybe I travel in the wrong circles???

I have, but I do emergency hauling to a couple of equine hospitals for a living, so I deal with more odd hauling happenings than the average bear most likely. With my own horses, no, but because of what I do and what I've seen, I think I exist in a higher state of "what if?" than a lot of people, lol!

No the cart does not have to be unloaded before the horses can get out. All you have to do is remove the padlock, swing the carrier and cart around and open the door......just a matter of a couple of more seconds than opening the door without the cart. Take a look at pictures 5, 6 and 7 to see the carrier swinging open. http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/u...art%20carrier/ The password is geocoins.

MS horsegeeks would never have allowed me to rig up something preventing her from quickly letting the horses out in an emergency

Quote Originally Posted by Quelah View Post
    I have, but I do emergency hauling to a couple of equine hospitals for a living, so I deal with more odd hauling happenings than the average bear most likely. With my own horses, no, but because of what I do and what I've seen, I think I exist in a higher state of "what if?" than a lot of people, lol!
    Yeah I know what you mean....every third sentence that comes out of Rita's mouth is "What if" something. Oops I may be in trouble when she reads this.

The whole thing swings open. Cart can stay on foreve if you want.