The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses Die From Contaminated Hay After Floods

http://www.wkrn.com/global/story.asp?s=12497513

Oh Wow! You think you dodged a bullet by surviving the floods and then Wham! I feel so sorry for those affected.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

How awful for them all So sad
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Heartwrenching. Hopefully their pain will save some other horses. So sad.

How terrible. We need to spread this news, so everyone is aware that this can happen. Jingles to these horses and their owners.

Hi, I talked to the vet treating these horses. While they have botulism, it did not come from any water reaching the hay. In fact, water did not reach the hay. The vet is positive there was another source of infection.

Obviously, if bags of feed or hay got wet, it would mold and you would need to dispose of it. But botulism is not a result.

Years ago I remember a story about a couple of horses dying. There was a dispute about what killed them - the local sewage treatment plant had overflowed untreated wastewater onto their pasture, but their pasture was also heavily overgrown with star thistle (poisonous). Ultimately the star thistle was blamed for the deaths (although of course the owner thought the sewage treatment plant was the real culprit).

I'm curious as to whether the flood created any situation that permitted the botulism organism to thrive in an area where the horses could ingest it, and/or how they ingested it. FD can you keep us posted?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

According to Dr. DeLisle, there should be no lasting effects on pastures even if they were flooded, as far as cutting and baling hay off them. Botulism in hay often come from a dead animal being rolled up in a bale so always check hay before feeding, she says. (Not sure how you'd do that on a big round bale).

Of course, if there is any debris in the field or fences down, etc., you need to get that out of pastures.

If your horse was standing in water or has been in muddy conditions, she suggest treating pre-emptively for thrush and keeping a watch out.