it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Thumbs up Pinot Evil: the update on red whines...

SERIOUSLY, that is the name of it!!!

Thanks to the last OT, I tried a few other kinds of red, and also a few brands recommended...

One morning while food shopping after my 14 hr shift, I saw this wine on the shelf, decent price, medium range... And I just HAD to try it because of the name.

And lo and behold... I liked it. Er, well, I didn't hate it. Drank the requisite small glass with supper for another week or so... and then suddenly, something shifted...

I went on a trip, stocked up on cheap stuff at the NH State liquor store (yeah, some of you know what I'm talkin' about... has it's own exit off the toll highway... used to be part of the travel plan when you'd make a pilgrimage to State Line... ) Anyway, got a couple of Pinots & Merlots to try, and a bottle of my beloved Port...

And the Port was WAY too sweet, and the Pinots--suddenly were lovely. So I guess it IS an aquired taste.

Now, I'm not giving up my Moscato... but, I will be super interested to see if the cholesterol levels budge at all. I can safely say I haven't had a dawn effect glucose rise ONCE since using it either.

Mmmmm.... pretty darn good Rx if I do say so myself!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I bought a box of that stuff not long ago for the very same reason. Loved the name - was just "meh" about the wine, though.

I love the Fish Eye Pinot Grigio boxed wine. Anything Bota Box (reds) or Black Box are great buys. I only buy bottles to take to friends' houses when we go there for dinner. I'm too cheap to buy bottles for my own drinking pleasure.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

because I am young Canuck, and nieve about such things, can you make wine in the states? Like, go to a store, pick what you want, and make 30 bottles?
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Hmm I love the Barefoot Moscato wine...
    It's my favorite "cheap" wine and I love a glass after work.

I haven't found many reds that I like. I used to love a wine called "Pink Truck" but I can't find it where I am living now.
    We have a wine called "14 Hands" and it has the prettiest label complete with horses.

http://www.14hands.com/

but I've never tried it. My sister bought a bottle and painstakingly peeled the label off to save it for me.
    Last edited by LovelyBay; May. 18, 2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling

I thought this thread was going to be about redheaded women kvetching.

Do you really drink "whine"? Or do you whine while you drink wine?
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

My husband's a wine expert for a local wine store... while I'm teaching and grading and slaving away, he gets to lead wine classes and go to tastings. Next week they're flying him to DC for a day to taste and then in June he gets to go to Bordeaux for a week. Clearly I chose the wrong career...

So he's made me a wine snob. With reds I tend to like Spanish--tempranillo/Riojas especially. I also like a good full-bodied zin. Whites, I tend to like oaky Chards.

Back before I met him, I was content with my $4 jug of Lake Niagara white... now I like $100 icewines. Sigh.

I whined about wine, hence the title.

MMMMmmmm Barefoot is, sadly, my favorite Moscato. Well, except for the one that is like $20 for ONE glassful... THAT is the BEST.

I am sure the Pinot Evil is NOT for wine lovers. It's rather mild compared to some of the other Pinot Noirs I tried--which is probably why I like it.

Surprizingly, of all the merlots, a cheapy one did the job for me too. I've been eyeballing the boxed Merlots, but want to be able to try a bottle of it first, and cannot find the same brands to try.

They JUST started carrying boxed Pinot Evil though. I was on my scooter (moped) when I saw that, and wasn't *quite* prepared to strap the box on the back of the seat...

Smoking Loon Cab is my glass of $6/bottle heaven.

I don't actually like the 14H varieties...I tried all of their reds.

I dream about Spanish, Portugese and Argentinian reds sometimes. If it's white, it'd better be champagne.

Also greats (in my book): Menage a Trois red, Coppola Claret, most Penfold's, and (hate to admit it) Yellow Tail Cab.

And you go, girl - get that cholesterol down the fun way!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    With reds I tend to like Spanish--tempranillo/Riojas especially. I also like a good full-bodied zin. Whites, I tend to like oaky Chards.
    Me, too - except for the Chards...I prefer pinots for white wine. LOVE Zinfandels. I'm jealous of your hubby's job, too. Lucky me -my in-laws just planted a vineyard on our farm this spring. Home-grown wine in a few years! What more could a girl want - horses and wine!
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

So he's made me a wine snob. With reds I tend to like Spanish--tempranillo/Riojas especially. I also like a good full-bodied zin. Whites, I tend to like oaky Chards.
    Well, given your in house advisor you don't need help from me...but do you like Malbec? If so...try Secreto Malbec. Mmmm.....
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I am a big California and Oregon pinot noir fan. My recommended relatively low cost bottles:

Mondavi

Angeline

Erath

Cakebread
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

Not a wine snob at all, here, but my favourite so far is my father's homemade Pinot Noir. YUMMMMM! If it's a white, it should be a chardonnay, very well chilled.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

makes me wonder if Pinot Evil gives an evil hangover resulting in whining about the consumption of Pinot Evil?
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Well, given your in house advisor you don't need help from me...but do you like Malbec? If so...try Secreto Malbec. Mmmm.....
    I do sometimes like Malbec... will look for that one!

Tonight I'm drinking Lost Angel Mischief '06--it's a cab sauv/petit syrah/sangiovese blend from California, very good cheap red. (:

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

I've been eyeballing the boxed Merlots, but want to be able to try a bottle of it first, and cannot find the same brands to try.

They JUST started carrying boxed Pinot Evil though. I was on my scooter (moped) when I saw that, and wasn't *quite* prepared to strap the box on the back of the seat...
    CHICKEN!!!

I am down to the last couple glasses of my first box wine. They are actually decent. Nothing really to write home about, neither good or bad. Pleasant little wine!

I grew up in Wine country. My Mom is surrounded by wine makers...heck you can bring people a bottle of wine as present and not catch a weird look!

The verdict is: drink what you like.

And if you open a bottle/box you are not fond of, you can always cook with it! Sure, you should use what you want to drink, but you can get away with it in the stew an pasta sauce!

reminds me to get me a glass - and replenish my stock....

Cheap "Sweet Red" tonight. They were out of my Moscato--which I was going to spring for since I rode a 4th level schoolmaster tonight--AND GOT PAID FOR IT... ('s ok. *I* almost hate me. )

I'm finding I don't like sweet as much as I thought--though this is nice, chilled, with tortellini & chook broth.

now I like $100 icewines. Sigh.
    Me too! I love the ice wines!
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by jackalini View Post
    Smoking Loon Cab is my glass of $6/bottle heaven.

I don't actually like the 14H varieties...I tried all of their reds.

I dream about Spanish, Portugese and Argentinian reds sometimes. If it's white, it'd better be champagne.

Also greats (in my book): Menage a Trois red, Coppola Claret, most Penfold's, and (hate to admit it) Yellow Tail Cab.

And you go, girl - get that cholesterol down the fun way!
    I also like the Smoking Loon and the Menage a Trois, good stuff. I also am quite fond of an Old Vine Zin. My very favorite these days, however, is Apothic Red. http://www.apothic.com/

From your list of faves, I can tell you'd love it too. It's about $8-$10 per bottle.
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.