The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,296

    Default The political thread

    Someone had to do it.

    I am really against some things and for others. Those are facts. But the other side keeps refusing to address those facts and just keeps going on and on about their opinions without any specifics. It's really annoying. How can we have an informed and civil debate unless we address the facts?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,296

    Default

    See, I mention the facts and they have no response. It's very typical.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 22, 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,035

    Default

    Wheeeeeee!
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar. 20, 2007
    Posts
    535

    Default

    why let the facts get in the way of an opinion? It just confuses people in to thinking



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 4, 2003
    Location
    Sanger, TX, USA
    Posts
    4,977

    Default

    Well, DW, your opening statment is a bit vague....lots of topics to discuss.

    I've got one...the wonderful Health Control bill that had to be passed so we
    could find out what is in it. Seems businesses have to issue IRS Form 1099's
    to all their suppliers that they purchase more than $600 worth of goodies
    each year from. So barn owners get to do more paperwork--1099's to the
    hay guys, the feed folks, the farrier, maybe the vet....should get interesting.
    Probably would apply to whomever you bought a horse from and then resold.

    Sigh--we have about three suppliers for our business. But then there's the office supplies, the Fedex folks......will 16,500 new IRS agents be enough?

    And that's only one of the treats in that bill....



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2009
    Posts
    749

    Default

    Where do you mail the facts once you have the proper address? Sounds like an issue for the post office to handle-you never know where things will end up when they haven't been properly addressed.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 30, 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    Someone had to do it.

    I am really against some things and for others. Those are facts. But the other side keeps refusing to address those facts and just keeps going on and on about their opinions without any specifics. It's really annoying. How can we have an informed and civil debate unless we address the facts?
    I know for a fact that you are wrong! As I have undisputable statistics that say otherwise.
    Specifically I think you misunderstood the initial issue which is understandable as it is a bit vague in nature.

    In the future I believe any controversy can be cleared up by understanding that I am right.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2002
    Location
    Dungeon of the Ivory Tower
    Posts
    20,394

    Default

    They are only facts if reproducible by others. I know this. I'm a scientist.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr. 30, 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    They are only facts if reproducible by others. I know this. I'm a scientist.
    I thought there no such thing as facts or laws, just falsifiable theories/categorical statements.
    I am not a scientist. I am the Skipper – now where did Mary-Anne go?



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,580

    Default

    I think facts are overrated, especially in the political context. They are built to help shape or coerce agreement, often hiding the basis for disagreement.

    This leads to ungodly amounts of time, money and effort spent do create or dismantle the most fussy facts.... and in pursuit of winning an argument that was really about something else.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,075

    Default

    Does Dizzy even have a valid USA birth certificate? Should she start a political thread, is that allowed? Someone should investigate.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    5,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Does Dizzy even have a valid USA birth certificate? Should she start a political thread, is that allowed? Someone should investigate.
    Well, she looks illegal to me...



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2008
    Location
    Greeley, Colorado
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    I hope she doesn't live in AZ
    **Friend of bar.ka**

    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 2004
    Location
    Spinner's End
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoicfish View Post
    I thought there no such thing as facts or laws, just falsifiable theories/categorical statements.
    Philosophy/Social science, and I'm thinking of Max Weber in particular, would tend to agree that 'laws' [as such] are not useful in describing the world around us; science however, would disagree.

    my brain is a bit addled from grad school at the moment...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ~Coth's Resident Deatheater~



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    43,099

    Default

    Aliens for peace:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	29309  



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Does Dizzy even have a valid USA birth certificate? Should she start a political thread, is that allowed? Someone should investigate.
    Now, did you really think I would be that naive? Here 'tis. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7446598_n.jpg



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,075

    Default

    Whew! I'm going to write you in for all offices when I vote today.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr. 30, 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    Now, did you really think I would be that naive? Here 'tis. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7446598_n.jpg
    That's looks Canadian.



    Darkstar - I hope your brain will be ok. It usually wears off after a couple of years of working. Unless you go on to teach at a University - than it is terminal.
    Your right, I was thinking of truths.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2008
    Location
    Greeley, Colorado
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    When I was really like, like before I could understand anything about politics, I told my mom I was going to be a democrat because they have donkeys and donkeys are like horses
    **Friend of bar.ka**

    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep. 18, 2005
    Posts
    2,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    When I was really like, like before I could understand anything about politics, I told my mom I was going to be a democrat because they have donkeys and donkeys are like horses
    Many people pick who to vote for president based on this too...
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.



Similar Threads

  1. POLITICAL THREAD--keep it here
    By vineyridge in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 791
    Last Post: Nov. 6, 2012, 07:33 PM
  2. CAUTION! POLITICAL THREAD!
    By Frank B in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct. 25, 2012, 12:40 PM
  3. For the political threads...
    By CosMonster in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr. 2, 2011, 03:39 PM
  4. Replies: 151
    Last Post: Feb. 5, 2011, 08:07 PM
  5. First political thread this off topic day...
    By dressurpferd01 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan. 14, 2011, 06:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness