The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best fly mask for staying ON

My gelding is famous for playing the "bite face game" with his buddies. He's done this with every buddy at every barn he's ever been at. They don't cause any damage to eachother, but unfortunately this makes it very difficult to keep a fly mask on him.

I'm thinking I need one of the ones with the double velcro to help it stay put. Any suggestions for brands/etc? He is on pasture board so I really want to at least keep the bugs out of his face. I don't see a fly sheet lasting - he's rough enough on heavy duty turnout blankets, and I just can't see a fly sheet holding up.

But if you have suggestions on those, I've been considering trying one. Just hate to spend so much and have it get destroyed on the first day.

The SuperMask by Farnam has double velco closure, and runs $16-18, give or take a little. IME they hold up pretty well--my old gelding was hard on flymasks, and these held up well and are inexpensive. At the end of the season it just needed some mending, and was good to go for the next summer!

The Kensington Fly Mask is carried by SmartPak, also has double velcro closure. A pony at my farm had this mask, and it held up one summer before being replaced. A little more expensive, but also good.

Hope this helps!

SuperMask all the way. No ears. The Kensington rubs the forelock too much IME, and the elastic makes them rub under the chin and come off more easily.

When you get a new flymask, pepper it! Make a cream using red pepper and vaseline, put it all over the strap and when another horse goes to bite at it, he won't do it again. It worked wonders with keeping a pony from taking off my horses fly masks. We also use that combo for weanling's tails to keep them from eating each other's tails.

The "Got Flies ?" masks are very good, they not only have overlocking velcro closures they have elastic that allows a secure fit yet is comfortable.

I have yet to find one that stays one! The Cashel Crusader is the easiest to get off , IMO, which is a shame since I like its construction the best.

Quote Originally Posted by spotted draft x filly View Post
    When you get a new flymask, pepper it! Make a cream using red pepper and vaseline, put it all over the strap and when another horse goes to bite at it, he won't do it again. It worked wonders with keeping a pony from taking off my horses fly masks. We also use that combo for weanling's tails to keep them from eating each other's tails.
    I would worry about the potential of it getting in the eyes?

I love the Kensingtons. They do stay put really well but they seem to be much warmer that the lighter soft mesh masks. I bought the Absorbine masks last year and the horses loved them but they didn't hold up that well. I bought some from Dover this spring for like $7 each and so far they have held up great and the horses manage to keep them on.

Here is Princess Firefly modeling Paco's.
    Last edited by equineartworks; May. 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Bucus...
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

[QUOTE=equineartworks;4870662]I would worry about the potential of it getting in the eyes?

You don't put it all over the mask. You put it on the straps at the bottom of the mask. Trusut me it does work and after 1 or 2 times that the horse tries it and gets a mouthful they won't do it again. That pony has learned not to bite at my horse's masks. I also put it on the straps of my mare's muzzle since the pony grabs at that too.

How often do you re-apply the pepper mix to keep it "working?"

I only did it twice. The last time I peppered anything was a month ago and my horses still have their masks on. It will wash off with the rain, so if your horses are still pulling at each other's masks put some more on. Good luck!

I like the Kensington masks with the double velcro closure.

EAW---that is the CUTEST PICTURE EVER!!!!!!

I really like the Kensington fly mask. My horse loves to hang his head over the fence separating him from the weanlings and let them pull his fly mask off. When I got a Kensington I finally stopped losing fly masks! It's a bit pricier than some others, but it's worth it since I'm not always replacing it. They're durable, attractive, and I like that the eye darts are large so the mesh isn't too close to the eyes.

Definitely the Supermasks without ears.

I have a Cashel long nose mask, that I use for riding. But it never stays on in the pasture.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!