The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any Wellesley grads on COTH?

Title says it all!

Default 1-9-8-5 Wellesley, Rah!

If you are a student or alum, this will be familiar (though each class inserts their own year). Anyway, yes. Class of '85, now looking forward to 25th reunion. Twenty-five years! When did that happen????

If you're considering going there, I'm happy to tell you what it was like, in my experience, in the 80s (I loved it). Nowadays, I'd never get in.

Hi Sharon!

I'm a 1980 alum... can't make it out to reunion, though.

Have you seen the new Student Center? I confess I miss Schneider! And I don't think I'd get in nowadays either!!!

Default Student center sucks.

The "new" student center is ugly, confusing, full of wasted space and bottlenecks, and the whole thing smells like old food. I miss Schneider too.

Sorry you can't make Reunion; I was hesitant because I've been pretty much a SAHM for the past few years so I feel like I have nothing particularly fascinating to discuss (though I do I feel like my horse saves me from being totally dull and predictable and mediocre), it's the same weekend as a kid's birthday (but he's turning 6; he won't care if his party is a week later), and hubby (who is _not_ invited) is resentful, but as my freshman year roommate yelled at me, "What do you mean you're not going? Remember how much fun we all had when we were there!" So I decided to go.

If I can possibly talk to you into attending, let me know. I think I went to the 10th or 15th, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed seeing semi-familiar people again, and meeting people I hadn't known in school, and remembering why I like my Swellesley friends and acquaintances so much, and just bonding with the campus. I find that visiting the campus can be good for my sense of self or regrouping or resilience or whatever you want to call it, though come to think of it I haven't been in a few years.

What is scary, though, is that my mom is also a Wellesley alum (that's probably how I got in), and I remember going with her to her 25th reunion! Ackk! :-)

I am. Class of '81. I LOVED my teachers and classes, but had a couple of experiences outside of the academic which created a negative feeling. Then my 5th Reunion was one of the worst experiences of my entire life! I made myself go to the 10th just to survive it, but haven't been to a reunion since.

My daughter applied and got in, but decided not to attend. I actually think she made the right decision for her. Visiting was a sad experience: the new student center is revolting in many ways and is the antithesis of what I love(d) about Wellesley, and my favorite room in the library with all the wooden carving on the walls has been opened up into another large room and lost all it's charm.

So sad. I wish I was excited about my Alma Mater. I hated my HS, too, so maybe it's just me.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

I've been to the new student center several times and played a concert there in the fall (part of a tribute to Owen Jander). I found it so incredibly impersonal and sterile, but in a run-down sort of way even though it's really new. Sad. It's kind of the antithesis of what Schneider was like.

I get back to the Boston area not too infrequently, so I've had many chances to visit the campus. I went to my 5th and 15th reunions but have a concert that conflicts with the upcoming one.

I confess that on a recent visit to the area, I had driven out somewhere in central Mass. to visit a friend and then was on my way back to Watertown where I was staying. I had about an hour to spare and thought I'd stop at the College, walk around and do the whole nostalgia thing. Then, just before I got to Wellesley, I remembered about Dover Saddlery (as in the actual store not just a catalog), promptly forgot about the College and spent the hour blissfully looking at the many horsie items I couldn't afford to buy!

Not me, but my friend went to Wellesley. She graduated in 2004 I believe. She sometimes posts as Governess.

Heavens, no. I went to Bryn Mawr.

Mt. Holyoke, here. ;-)

Default Dover trumps nostalgia, any day

If someone from the College would apologize to me for the student center, I'd visit the campus more and Dover less. :-)