The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone have or suspect a Gluten Intolerance?

Anyone have or suspect a Gluten Intolerance? How were you able to verify this diagnosis? I know there is a blood test for Celiac disease but excluding this blood test is there any way to confirm gluten intolerance? Do you just eat gluten and look for a reaction shortly after? I've heard most doctors say that gluten intolerance doesn't exist, you either have celiac disease or you don't. Anyone with a negative blood test and problems associated with gluten either needs a more sensitive blood test or has got something else going on other than digesting gluten. What say you COTHers?

Bumping this up because I think I may have some level of intolerance to gluten. I have a friend who got a blood test that actually showed tolerance levels. She doesnt have celiac but when she does slip up and eat something with gluten in it she has some issues. What symptoms are you having??
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/what-celiac-disease.php

This site may be able to give you some info. I don't have the condition, but I know some people that do.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

I say your Dr. is a &%$# for being dismissive.
    I'm allergic to wheat, and since gluten is the component of grain that contains protein (the only nutrient you can be allergic to), yes i am "gluten intolerant"
    If i have more than 1 serving of wheat a day i feel like garbage. mostly back pain, muscle tension and headaches. It wasnt until i only ate meat, fruits and veggies for 3 weeks that i realized i was allergic.

My mother has fibromyalgia and cannot eat any grains, beans or nuts. if she does she can't get out of bed in the morning.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I thought my father, who's a retired doctor, told me that besides the blood test you can do a biopsy to confirm. Cannot swear to the accuracy of this, though.

One of my boarders was diagnosed by her doctor with celiac disease. She got worse and worse and finally got a better doctor and some diagnostic tests only to find it wasn't celiac disease, but stage 4 colon cancer. She's 48. I'd insist on confirming tests if eliminating gluten doesn't make you feel much better.

My step father has been tested for Celiac's and doesn't have it but if he has too much gluten he just feels crappy. I think stomach mostly and low energy. He just avoids it for the most part.

I also takes a pill that helps make him more tolerant. I don't know if it is an herbal pill or a prescription pill. He sees a naturopathic doctor.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Over the years I've learned that doctors don't know as much as they would like us to believe!

For decades my husband suffered with what was diagnosed as ulcers, or another time, irritable bowel syndrome. Riding home from work one day he heard a blurb on PBS about celiac's disease and told me he thought he had it--symptoms fit his to a T. He's also had what I think the doctors would term "restless leg" syndrome.

For months we tried to avoid wheat products, using rice pasta (did you know there was rice bran in rice pasta?) and his symptoms abated. He has gone back to eating wheat, rye, triticale products but not in the amounts he had done previously. Says he feels much, much better so that's where we are for now.

I have to say that I did not enjoy the rice pasta in the least! You can also get pasta made out of corn though but I've never tried it.

Do a Google search for "gluten intolerance" and there is a wealth of information out there. And there are many websites with gluten free recipes....

Elisabeth Hasselback from The View wrote a book about gluten intolerance recently.
    "Marriage is like a deck of cards--it starts with two hearts and a diamond and after a while you wish you had a club and a spade." ~seen on an anniversary card~

I have Celiac Disease. The best way I know to get tested and a very accurate test is with www.enterolab.com Lots of information on there and I highly recommend getting tested. I totally had to bypass my doctor who refused to have me tested. He said I wasn't "sick enough." I ONLY had bad IBS and all he wanted to do was hand out pills for my symptoms. I paid for the test myself and it was some of the best money I ever spent...changed my life.

I also have a lot of info on where to get food and stuff...happy to share my sources with anyone.

I recently was tested (twice) for Celiac Disease after severe acid reflux problems caused me to lose about 10 pounds in a week. They ran a blood test (came back negative), then a biopsy. It was also "negative" but I did show some antibodies for gluten intolerance, they were just within "normal" range and did not qualify to be celiac disease. Even so, I try to avoid eating a ton of products with gluten. But I still eat pizza and pasta every now and then.
    Karen
    " Go to the big shows. Watch the great riders and dare to think ... That could be me."

My mom was having a lot of stomach and intestinal problems and was pretty much sick in bed every weekend. I made her get a colonoscopy, which was fine and her Dr didn't seem too interested beyond that. After visiting a friend who was diagnosed celiac, I suggested going gluten free to my mom. She tried it and has kept it up and is feeling a lot better. Mentioned it to her Dr, who said if it is helping, keep up the gluten free diet.

We think corn pasta is the best gluten free pasta, followed by quinoa. Rice pasta is yucky.

I was having digestive problems, I tested negative for Celiac disease but decided to go off gluten anyways just to try it out. I've been following a gluten free diet for several months and I've been thrilled that I've had no more problems. I've met a few people who say they don't have Celiac disease, have gluten intolerance based on the fact that they felt better when they stopped eating it. I'm ok with giving up gluten to feel better but there is this thought in the back of my mind that it could be something else and I'll never know if its not more thoroughly investigated.

Plus eating a gluten free diet is quite a lifestyle choice. I went to a dietitian to ask what kind of vitamins I should be taking to supplement my gluten free diet and he was pretty dismissive, pretty much like if I don't have Celiac disease I should just eat gluten and stop robbing my body of essential nutrients! Ya, that was pretty upsetting and unhelpful.

Just went through this with my doctor. There are three different kinds of antibodies (IgE, IgG, IgA) - I can't remember which is which, but MD's only test for IgE (or is it IgG?). These cause the severe, immediate reaction. For those of us with intolerance, you can either do the elimination diet, or go to a naturopath and get the blood test that includes the other antibodies. Incidentally, somehow MDs have decided the test for the other type of antibody is useful for diagnosing celiac - but not other intolerances?? Didn't understand that logic.

Since getting the results from the ND, I have changed my diet and am feeling much more functional!

The first step to diagnosing Celiac disease is doing a blood test, but many with Celiac come up negative for it this way. Another way one can be diagnosed is by getting a shot of "wheat" and see if there is an allergic reaction of any kind. Sometimes people are scoped to see what the condition of their digestive tract is. But the "golden standard" for checking to see if you have Celiac is a biopsy of the intestine just below your stomach. Essentially Celiac disease is when a person cannot digest wheat or wheat products/by-products, thus they are unable to absorb any nutrients from them. Simply put it is an allergy to wheat or like the OP stated an intolerance.
    Unfortunately people that have Celiac cannot eat very many foods because so many contain some sort of wheat. Whey is a form a wheat and is found in almost all yogurt and cheeses, and may other foods. Many processed foods also contain wheat, or may have come in contact with it while be produced in the factory.

Thanks Daydream Believer I will check out what tests I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I have Celiac Disease. The best way I know to get tested and a very accurate test is with www.enterolab.com Lots of information on there and I highly recommend getting tested. I totally had to bypass my doctor who refused to have me tested. He said I wasn't "sick enough." I ONLY had bad IBS and all he wanted to do was hand out pills for my symptoms. I paid for the test myself and it was some of the best money I ever spent...changed my life.

I also have a lot of info on where to get food and stuff...happy to share my sources with anyone.

I have Celiacs and am allergic to wheat.

When I don't eat Gluten I feel WONDERFUL. I eat Gluten and have the following side effects in the following order:

1. Run for the potty. 2. Throw up half the night. 3. Wake up feeling like I partied to hard the ngiht before and have a massive migraine. 4. IF I continue to eat Gluten my face gets lots of red marks.

I still make mistakes..it is hard dropping Gluten. Gluten is EVERYthing.

I eat off the Gluten Free menu, and still yet seomtimes there is cross-containmenation and I get ill.

What clued me in is the weight gain. I didn't lose any weight at all..
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Resurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one...several months ago I went to the doctor complaining of stomach cramps, feeling low all the time, headaches, edema in my feet/lower legs and loose, frequent bowel. She barely spent any time in front of me, pressed on my stomach and asked if it felt sore when she did that (yes, now let go!) and told me to go buy omeprazole because I have a stomach ulcer. That's right, no problng questions, no tests, just 2 minutes of face time and see ya, I'm off to the next patient.

The omeprazole didn't do anything for me and the symptoms got worse. Finally did a google search and everything pointed to gluten intolerance. Instead of going back to the doc to get testing done I eliminated gluten from my diet and waited to see what happened. Well, after a few days I started to feel MUCH better and by the end of two weeks I felt great! The edema in my feet went away, headaches went away, constant trips to the bathroom ceased...life is good again!

Its true that gluten is in EVERYTHING. The hardest part of living gluten-free is no more Whataburger or Five Guys. Sure do miss those. Hubby and I enjoy cooking so we do our best to recreate stuff we liked to enjoy at restaurants. We did have a successful outing to a restaurant yesterday with my mom for Thanksgiving dinner. The waiter was familiar with Celiac and confirmed with the chef what was safe for me to choose from off the menu.

There is a gluten-free brownie mix we get from the grocery store. It is Pamela's brand and is delightful!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Family members are extremely sensitive to gluten. No official diagnosis because of various issues with doctors (similar to cocopuff). They went on an elimination diet for a while and now pretty much follow the specific carbohydrate diet (although some cheating is allowed because they have healed so much). They're healthy and happy. This diet allowed one of them (early 30s woman) to go from limping due to hip pain, chronic fatigue, social anxiety issues, mood swings and being 40 pounds overweight to fit, happy, healthy, active (now training for a 1/2 marathon in the spring). It's been a long road, but SO many positive changes in her and the others that it's amazing. It's NOT easy... especially since our culture is SO social = food based, but sticking to it is essential til you get your issues sorted out.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Co-workers wife had blood in her stool, bad stomach aches, legs swelled up to where she couldnt walk, tiny pinprick red spots on her body. Turned out it was Celiac disease. She was unable to absorb vitamin K due to it (K helps clotting). He told me the Drs had never seen a presentation like that before. Now that she is gluten free she is gaining needed weight again, but it was pretty scary until they diagnosed her correctly.

Cocopuff, do not give up your 5 guys!!!

The only thing with gluten at their restaurant is the bun. Order it "protein style" and you'll get it with lettuce wrapped around for a bun (at Red Robin, too). I actually find I like it much better this way, and still get to enjoy a juicy burger!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
    I've heard most doctors say that gluten intolerance doesn't exist, you either have celiac disease or you don't.
    Well that's crap.
    I have been tested for allergies to wheat and celiac disease. Negative to both.
    But if I eat gluten all my joints swell painfully and become hot. Looks like rheumatoid arthritis and at one point, I was told by a doctor that although I tested negative for rheumatoid factor, within 6 months I wouldn't! This went on for months and I was taking 8 grams a day of aspirin to control the pain and was exhausted as well. It was recommended that I get a handicapped license. Started in my late 30s after exposure to a parvo virus.
    The doctors were stumped.
    I went on a research cruise to the sargasso sea . We got caught in a hurricane. The galley closed (no food) and we pretty much were stuck in our bunks lest we get bruised from bouncing off the walls. My pain stopped. So when I got back I did an allergy elimination diet. The changes happen pretty quickly...within days. The doctor just shrugged and said, yeah some people have food sensitivities. My daughter had the same problem was she was about 11. I let the doctors do all their tests fore 6 weeks and she had no relief. we put her on a gluten free diet and she was pain free within a few days. Her doctor refused to believe that diet had anything to do with her pain. What as asshat. At 22 is still gluten free.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x