The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default World War 2 in England--life on the homefront

OK, the topic has become a recent obsession of mine. I don't know why, but as I'm a writer of historical fiction I don't really need to know why--I'm cranking down on one book, it's time to start something new.

What I'd like to know is: any books on the subject you all can recommend? It's always the questions you don't know to ask that will kill you....

Fiction, but very well done. THE POSTMISTRESS by Sarah Blake.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

More fiction, but written by someone who lived through it: Coming Home, by Rosamunde Pilcher. It's a very easy read, but I find myself going back to it repeatedly.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Herman Wouk and Leon Uris have written some great books on that era. I'll go through my books and look for authors of others I've enjoyed. I love WWII history, and a well-written historical novel is always a fun read.

Not a book, but the 1942 film "Mrs. Miniver" could probably give you some ideas of things to research.

Fiction, but a good read...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

Another vote for Guernsey Potato Peel book. OUTSTANDING. Really vivid and evocative memories of the German occupation of the Channel Islands. Some very difficult scenes.

Not entirely fiction. The author interviewed survivors of the occupation and several of the narratives are word-for-word accounts.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Herman Wouk

Talking I have lots to recommend!

Oh my gosh, I love stuff about this time period, too!

Every time I travel to London, I pick up non-fiction books on wartime England at a variety of locations (cultural and societal histories, but definitely NOT military strategy), including the Imperial War Museum, the Cabinet War Rooms, and Foyle's (what a fab bookstore!). These books that probably never make it to the US because they are so specialized, but you might be able to find them on Amazon.co.uk or Foyle's web site if you're willing to pay shipping from the UK (try this link for Foyle's wartime Britain: (http://www.foyles.co.uk/results.asp?...CID=&x=26&y=14).

My favorites include:

Wartime Britain 1939-1945 (Juliet Gardiner)
    Austerity Britain 1945-1951 (David Hynaston)
    Five Days in London / May 1940 (John Lukacs)
    Evacuees - Evacuation in Wartime Britain 1939-1945 (Mike Brown)
    The Home Front - Civilian Life in World War Two (Peter Cooksley)
    Love Stories of World War II (Larry King)
    The Wartime House - Home Life in Wartime Britain 1939-1945 (Mike Brown and Carol Harris)
    Bombers and Mash - The Domestic Front 1939-1945 (Raynes Minns)
    Post-War Kitchen - Nostalgic Food and Facts from 1945-1954 (Marguerite Patten)
    Got Any Gum Chum? GIs inWartime Britain 1942-1945 (Helen D. Millgate)

A good book on the US for the same WWII time frame is:
    Our Mother's War - American Women at Home and At The Front During World War II (Emily Yellin)

So many books, so little time!

IdahoBetty--

I've read about half your list already; now I'll go shopping for the other half! Thanks! (I have no problem whatsoever with ordering from amazon.uk). I've read the Guernsey book and Herman Wouk; mostly, I'm more interested in stuff actually published near or during the war--The Wartime Stories of Mollie Painter-Craven, like that.

There's the Flambards series by K.M. Peyton, which is WWI rather than WWII I think, but it is horsey also. (:

Flambards is the bomb. I have copies of the whole series.

Goodnight Mr. Tom (introduced to me by my late mum, who was a London Evacuee) and "No Time to say Goodbye", a collection of stories about and from Children of the British home front.
    Eternal Earth-Bound Pets Independent Contractor.

All I want is to know WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHICKEN???

Default Good story

I Love love love WWII and as an aside, my father in law was a a co pilot on the Lancaster bombers and a few others as a navigator and machhine gunner.

One time while shooting at a German over France he shot down a German plane. The plane crash landed in a field and Dad and the pilot went down to look. When they landed the German was dead, The Brit pilot took out a pocket knife and cut out the side of the plane which was made of burlap fabric and handed it to my FIL.

It's a rearing tiger orange and brown, I had it framed and it hangs on a wall in our library. It's full of bullet holes not very PC, but too bad.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Sounds like a trip to London is in order. You should at least visit the Cabinet War Rooms and the Imperial War Museum. And perhaps you can time your visit to coincide with Badminton or Burghley.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    I Love love love WWII and as an aside, my father in law was a a co pilot on the Lancaster bombers and a few others as a navigator and machhine gunner.

It's a rearing tiger orange and brown, I had it framed and it hangs on a wall in our library. It's full of bullet holes not very PC, but too bad.

VERY cool!

My father was also a Lanc Pilot, and I have ridden in "Just Jane" in East Kirkby.

Three Bars, wouldn't it be funny of they knew each other . . .

Dad was in 617 squadron, last name Lamb, he got thrown out of OCS twice: once for general rudness and the next for throwing a salt shaker at another officer

I loved my FIL, but not everyone understood him.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

*sighs*

Dad won't say BUGGER ALL about 'it' - 90% of the information, I got from my mum. I have to wait until after he's gone to request his records from the MOD in the UK.

All I know is that he did his initial fight training in High River/Brandon, and flew out of Newark...

Another good site to get new and used books from all over the world is
    http://www.abebooks.com/

I've had very good experiences with it, including the delight of getting a book shipped from Tasmania in just plain brown paper wrapping, instead of the overkill packaging from Amazon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post

One time while shooting at a German over France he shot down a German plane. The plane crash landed in a field and Dad and the pilot went down to look. When they landed the German was dead, The Brit pilot took out a pocket knife and cut out the side of the plane which was made of burlap fabric and handed it to my FIL.

Very cool!! I would hang it up too for all to see if I had something like that. How were they able to do that though? Like how was it safe for them to take the time to land, weren't there other enemy planes around?