The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn bird i.d.?

Okay, disregard the funny photo (although it cracks me up) but can someone tell me the type of birds these are?
    The little buggers keep relocating their feathery butts back into my barn despite me relocating them out of it via leafblower repeatedly. They're stubborn serial crappers and really starting to annoy me. And two males keep annoying my barn swallows, whom I like. (they eat bugs and only crap in one spot)
    Soooo...what are these things?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

er... the invisible kind?

Magikal =)
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Your barn swallows must be very sensitive if even invisible birds annoy them... ;-)

I am *such* a moron.

Okay...let me see if I can get the birds to become visible:
    http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...irds-argue.jpg

PLease disregard that I'm not even bright enough to attach photos of the birds...I have hopes of being smart enough to relocate the freaking things.
    (a girl can hope, right?)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

look like sparrows to me
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

They are probably sparrows and surely are related to the ones I have in my arena that I keep knocking down their nests and they keep rebuilding. I've even turned the hose on the parts of the nest I can't get knocked out and the little b@$+@rds keep rebuilding. GGRRR
    Sue

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid.
    I thought you already knew.

The bird on the left is a fu*&!(@## House Sparrow.

Invasive species. They are partially responsible for the decline in our native bluebird populations.

Not. A. Fan.

I thought the picture was English Sparrows but those are
    seed eaters rather than bug eaters I believe. I have them
    in my indoor arena, sadly. I am having some luck getting
    them to stop building nests by removing the nests daily.
    They have given up on the west end of the building and
    are slowing on the east end. Now if I could just get the
    pigeons out of the old dairy barn...
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

They look like sparrows. We had a big problem with them here a few years ago when they got into the bluebird boxes and pushed the eggs/families out. Nasty little creatures.

They look like English/house sparrows. Good luck discouraging them, they're tough little bastards. They chase squirrels away from my bird feeder Since they're widely regarded as pests, there are lots of people looking to kill, er, discourage them, so just google the name and you'll find plenty of ideas for getting rid of them. Since they're an introduced species, they generally aren't protected by law.

I used to trap those suckers in a sparrow trap otherwise they disturbed my purple martin colony. And purple martins and other swallows eat insects prodigiously.. get rid of them -the sparrows, I mean
    Last edited by mtk9122; May. 17, 2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: clarification

English sparrows. Nuisance birds. My sister traps them and dispatches them. Worse than mice, because they displace songbirds, and, as you've observed, useful birds like barn swallows.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

they themselves are useful in that they do eat a lot of bugs especially spiders and things that like to hide in the rafters. They build really messy nests of straw and hair and such often in inconvenient places. They will also sit their nest inside an old barn swallow foundation and once the sparrows move in to a barn, the swallows often won't stay!
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Thanks guys...I think these might be seed eaters though. Or maybe omnivores? They're here all freaking winter too. However in winter the males don't come in the barn, only the females stay in the barn. The females chase the males out in winter. Only in spring do the males move in, they build new nests of hay...some in parts of the eaves I can't get too easily. The rest I knock down.
    Last year was the first year I didn't have swallows in my barn. Same pair come back to nest here every spring...Fred & Ginger...and the male sparrows chased them out. This year it's a new pair of swallows, they're staying so far but the 2 male sparrows just bother them relentlessly. He lands near them and just chirps unending and clicking his beak on a beam. I shut one up this morning by hurling a brush at it..made contact but it survived fine. I'm trying to get rid of the sparrows and not scare off the new swallows at the same time. I did take out a female one by accident...she had landed on the roof vent fans when the fans turned themselves on. Blech, a mess. I hadn't put the screens over the fans back up yet.
    So far my swallows are staying...they finished the new nest 4 days ago despite 2 weeks of being harassed. Now the female sits in it once in a while getting ready to lay, the male stays nearby. I wish the male swallow would chase off the sparrow, he's like a fighter plane compared to a wind-up toy plane of the sparrow. Just wish the swallows were a tad more aggressive.
    They're really pissing me off and I'm just waiting for the next weasel I get in for rehab...I'm setting it loose in the eaves to get rid of those nests and birds. It can't reach the swallow nest. These birds are really on my last nerve...they crap everywhere and my beams are getting crusty. And I'm seriously anal retentive about a clean barn. They bother my swallows and even blasting their tails out of the barn on a regular basis with the leafblower isn't working. BB gun or frozen paintballs next if I can't get my hands on a weasel. I hate killing stuff if unnecessary, but if these are invasive anyways they're going.

Now howzabout some more tips on getting rid of them folks? I'm pretty accurate but lower powered firearms inside a barn aren't the best for accuracy and I'm not shooting up my barn's interior. I'd slingshot them, but I stink at slingshots.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I wage a never-ending war with the house sparrows in our barn... I absolutely hate them.

We have a Deluxe Repeating Sparrow Trap that works reasonably well at trapping them.

A great resource for the management of HOSP here - http://www.sialis.org/hosp.htm
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

Everything you want to know about House Sparrows.

http://www.sialis.org/hosphistory.htm

And if those methods don't work, try these.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/..._journeys/4092

http://www.theoldfoodie.com/2006/07/...-sparrows.html

I used to have a problem with them until I got the BEST barn cat EVER!! Now, not a sparrow in site.....

If they're English sparrows (not truly sparrows, but a type of finch, if I recall aright), they are a right PITA. Imported by some nostalgic relocated Englishperson, I heard. Thanksalot, right up there with your imported multiflora and barberries. And pigeons, oh yes them too.

My dear old instructors were cursed with them in their barn & arena, until they started a campaign of tearing down the nests as SOON as they saw them -- if you wait too long & discover there are nestlings in the one you just tore down, you then have to harden your heart and do away with the nestlings. One of my poor instructors had to do that one time when I was helping her. (She took it to the nearby brook and... ) After consistently tearing down the nests, they significantly reduced the population, enough so the barn swallows were able to nest in their buildings. (They're messy, but they DO eat bugs & are not as nastily territorial as the English sparrows.)

What the others have said.

I just have to say, I laughed out loud at the thought of turning a weasel loose in the rafters of the barn
    -Jessica