The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weird Baby Tooth - Suggestions???

I've never raised a youngster so am complete newbie here. My filly (slight parrot mouth & born on my birthday 5 years ago so be kind here!) has a weird baby tooth situation. I've tried attaching a photo but posting rules at bottom strangely won't allow me to do so so I'll do my best with written description.

The tooth is bottom front left and the adult tooth is forcing the cap out but the cap is going forward out her gum rather than up. The cap is still tight. She is not bothered by it but I am because I'm concerned this situation might cause misplacement of the adult teeth. Or maybe it'll never come out or come out with a huge gaping hole and will become infected. My imagination runs rampant.

When her teeth were floated in February, the vet mentioned that the baby tooth appeared to be coming forward rather than up and I should watch it but not be alarmed however "she might need help with it." But when the same vet practice came out for previous floating and extracted her wolf teeth, they botched up the wteeth pulling (didn't have proper tools) so I don't have much confidence in their doing this extraction (if necessary).

I have another vet I could call -- or is having an equine dentist better? Do you think I could email them the photo and they could tell from the photo if we're in a "wait & see situation" of if immediate extraction is necessary. Obviously, I'm trying to avoid the cost of a farm call. Geez, I hate this lousy economy -- And -- does anyone have any idea what the cost would be?

Or do I just wait to see what happens with this tooth? If it's pulled, is the procedure done in the stall with horse standing? Are there stitches? Would I also need a vet present to handle the sedation & stitches or does the equine dentist handle everything? Or, does anybody know of an equine dentist who is also a vet in the NoVirginia area?

Alot of questions. I appreciate any and all COTHers offering their experiences, suggestions, advice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by twhs View Post
    Or do I just wait to see what happens with this tooth? .
    Yes, patience is usually rewarded.
    If it's pulled, is the procedure done in the stall with horse standing? .
    Yes, usually it requires a quick tug with forceps and the cap is out and the mouth heals quickly.
    Are there stitches? .
    No
    Would I also need a vet present to handle the sedation & stitches or does the equine dentist handle everything? .
    That's a tougher question because it depends on the laws of your state and whether you care to follow them, the barn where you board and their approach to dentistry and who is available to work inside your horse's mouth in your area.