The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions for my poor horse's torn up mouth....

Hey everybody. My poor horse's mouth keeps getting torn up and I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do about it. I've tried several different bits on him and he's still getting rubs on the corners of his mouth. At this point I don't even think it's the actual bit that's rubbing him, but rather the way his skin is folding at the corners. I've tried a big fat loose ring, a skinny loose ring, and a full cheek on the flat. He normally jumps in one of those loop ring gag bits and it tore his mouth up. A friend of mine gave me the stubben golden wings version of the bit to try and he still got rubs. I feel awful because I'm afraid I'm doing something to cause this, but my trainer swears I'm being quiet with my hands. All the bits are the proper size and I've been greasing up the corners with Vaseline every time I ride. Nothing seems to make any difference. Anybody have any suggestions?

I find vaseline can actually be a little sticky. We've had decent luck with putting Prep-H in the corners of their mouths, and I know some folks have tried things like KY to good effect (I know, eww, right?). You might also check to make sure the bit is wide enough for his mouth - if it's on the small side, you can get pinching on the ends.

Default Latex

I would try ~ wrapping that intersection where the bit connects to the side rings with a small/narrow strip of latex - figure 8 pattern to cover that intersection and protect the side of his mouth. Latex - Fennell's at Red Mile track Lexington Ky, sorry can not post link - computer stupid... R.E.FENNELLS
    Last edited by Zu Zu; May. 17, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

IslandPony Guest

Don't use PrepH - it has a steroid in it and will test positive in a drug test....
    I had a gray mare for years and the ONLY thing that worked was putting a dab of Corona in the corners of her mouth prior to putting the bridle on. I tried a gadzillion bits, I did not have rough hands. She was always busy with her head and she pulled like a freight train on xc. I used a gag with 2 sets of reins so I could control her without fighting her. Since she was gray, if her mouth did bleed, it was quite noticeable. So my goal was to find something that worked.
    After years of experimenting, I always went back to using Corona - it never failed me and wouldn't test positive. It was much thicker than vaseline so would stay put.

You might also check the bridle in general-- I rode a horse for a friend (at trainer's request) and was horrified to see a rub-- but after looking, realized that the noseband was a bit to low and causing the skin to pinch between the noseband and the bit-- hard to explain without seeing it but this was the horse's own bridle so I didn't think to look for it- the bridle may have just stretched a bit through use and gotten that way.

Have you tried the rubber bit guards? They might help in combo with vaseline/corona/etc to keep the rings from pinching...I use them with one of my jumping bits and they seem to do the trick. Only issue is that they may not be permitted for actual competition in dressage, but might be a solution for everyday riding at least.

Great suggestions everybody!! I'll definitely try the corona and see if that helps. Checking the bridle fit is another interesting thought. I think it's adjusted correctly, but I do wonder if his flash might be creating a problem. When I think about it, the flash could be forcing the bit higher than it needs to be creating uncomfortable wrinkles and rubbing in the corners. Does that make sense??

It very well could be the flash if you are sure the bit isn't too long or too small. If that is the case use a figure eight instead as it eliminates the nosband part above the bit. I had this problem with a horse I had and it made a world of difference. Also as someone else said Corona (before and after).

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDeclan View Post
    Great suggestions everybody!! I'll definitely try the corona and see if that helps. Checking the bridle fit is another interesting thought. I think it's adjusted correctly, but I do wonder if his flash might be creating a problem. When I think about it, the flash could be forcing the bit higher than it needs to be creating uncomfortable wrinkles and rubbing in the corners. Does that make sense??
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"