The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default swelling above front ankles... windpuffs?

They look like windpuffs, but I never heard of them on front ankles before. (On both ankles.) The slightly puffy roundish spots are soft, not sore, not hot, and we can see no difference in his gaits. They are in the same place a wind puff would be behind.

Background -9YO Draft X, working TL dressage, some cantering but not too much (we are working to improve it by working on trot and walk). He works in polos. Arena is sand/rubber. There are some deeper corners, but we stay out of them. Regular farrier work with a great farrier. (Over the last 1.5 years, the farrier has improved Gid's way of going by correcting minor hoof balance issues... nothing drastic.) Warm up with lunge line and lots of walking under saddle. I have owned him almost 3 years, he did jumpers previously.

Any ideas, or suggestions appreciated. I have been avoiding SMB or neoprene boots because its so darn hot here in FL.

Loretta

you can definitely have windpuffs on the front.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Agree, windpuffs are very common on front legs. (Just ask my OTTB,lol!)

OK, so that's a relief, because common knowledge is that wind puffs are no biggie. But they were obviously caused by something! maybe more work?

Is just Sore no more or bigeloil linament a good idea? (I know to dilute the BO).

L

If they are just windpuffs no liniment will make them go away permanently. They'll just come back again. I ignore my guy's. They get a bit bigger in summer (hot weather + stomping at flies). In the winter they are generally small. Just always make sure they are either the same or smaller after exercise. Bigger or hot after exercise can indicate a tendon issue. My TBs shrink after I have ridden him. For what it's worth some people say the Back on Track Quick-Wraps have reduced windpuffs for them.

Thanks, DWBlover. I noticed they were smaller after work yesterday; I had wrapped "firmly" with polos (I always use polos, but I wrapped a bit more tightly - yes, taking care, etc etc...)

L

Putting him on polyglycam will reduce windpuffs also, usually after about 4 days you will see a difference.