The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WEG is on my last nerve

Can I vent for a second?

I signed up to be a volunteer almost two years ago as I thought it would be fun to work this event. In the meantime, I have registered on several systems designed to keep track of volunteers - said registration went "poof!" somewhere. I visited the WEG headquarters in person since I was at the Arabian Sport Horse Nationals last year and thought an inperson would help. Then we get another email to sign up on another system and schedule for phone interviews. Had my phone interview and then got an email that said I *hadn't* had a phone interview. I'm trying to sort that out.

Then, this morning, got an email that my housing accommodations have gone wrong somehow - campgrounds are all messed up.

I realize organizing something of this scale has to be a nightmare but it seems exceptionally crazy to me.

I still want to help - hope I don't get lost in the craziness...

Bless you for wanting to help ~ really sounds past CRAZY to me from each and everyone who talks about the WEG! I am sure it will all come together but in the meantime sounds rough !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I'm right there with you--I've signed up as a volunteer twice now, with no feedback whatsoever. The most annoying part in my case is that system (at least the one I most recently completed) doesn't let you specify which DATES you're available. I'm local and I'll cheerfully do any job--but only on the weekends, as I do have a real job too!

That and the mass email "oh-poo-please-disregard-the-previous-email" messages have me worried.

Default Have you signed up for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by dudders View Post
    I'm right there with you--I've signed up as a volunteer twice now, with no feedback whatsoever. The most annoying part in my case is that system (at least the one I most recently completed) doesn't let you specify which DATES you're available. I'm local and I'll cheerfully do any job--but only on the weekends, as I do have a real job too!

That and the mass email "oh-poo-please-disregard-the-previous-email" messages have me worried.
    Have you signed up for or gotten an email about Shiftboard? If not, better find out about it. That's supposed to be the latest and greatest volunteer thingee. That's also where you sign up for phone interviews - and apparently if you don't have a phone interview, you don't volunteer. Well, even if you *do* have a phone interview... you still might not volunteer, at least in my case.

The email about the campgrounds was in the "oh poo" category as well - big apologies for all the problems (Hunh - I didn't know anything was wrong???) and then workarounds. I am worried that I will show up down there and still not have a place to stay.

Crazy.

Default How very odd

I signed up as soon as the WEG2010 website invited me to, probably two years ago, got tapped for the test event, volunteered at that, and then got my assignment for WEG already confirmed. It really was no trouble at all.

I just had my phone interview on Friday.....however I got confirmation e-mails of my position back in late Feb. early March. Some of the "teams" have their stuff more together than others. My "Sport Equipment and Facility" team and my "barn management" team are the ones I got confirmed on. I had the phone interview for the "general volunteer" team, taking tickets, ushering, etc.....However I also have nowhere to stay as of yet, maybe sleeping in the back of my SUV! (actually a neighboring state park has open camping that is the same distance as the Military School bunks, but for $19 per night!) The camping issues you may be having is becuase they decided to BLACK OUT all the camping at the horse park for the entire event...... I will be there for the three weeks before the event and the first week of it, anyone want to camp with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.BarnBrat View Post
    The camping issues you may be having is becuase they decided to BLACK OUT all the camping at the horse park for the entire event......
    My camping issues were at the expensive RV camps. Something must have gone amiss where I made my reservations because that venue is now closed and all the RV stuff is now going somewhere else. I just hope they honor the reservation as promised because the deposit was pretty dear.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    I signed up as soon as the WEG2010 website invited me to, probably two years ago, got tapped for the test event, volunteered at that, and then got my assignment for WEG already confirmed. It really was no trouble at all.
    Huh.

I signed up when the first invitation went out too. Then got several emails saying I needed to re-register on other systems, which I did, and then... nothing.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    My camping issues were at the expensive RV camps.
    Dang! I don't know what to say, but I will find the name of the State Park I am planning to stay at, they have big RV hookups too for around $35 per night (with a 10 day limit, but you can get around that by switching spots ). This all makes me want to start giving people calls, becuase when are we going to "train"? They keep saying "this summer" well geez I'd like to make some plans!

Default ....more of the same!

Yep. Check to most of the above. I signed up when the "original" volunteer sign up was online; since then I have "signed up" several more times for each IMPROVED (lol) system.

Two years later I have received no further information about Volunteering. At this point I plan to just buy tickets for CC day and enjoy myself.

I'm thinking the volunteers are all going to need a bunch of hugs when this is over...lots of confusion!

Signed up too, several times. Finally gave up. I live south of the HorsePark and plan to stay far away from Lexington for the length of WEG. Will just have to see it on TV. I really believe Lexington may be a parking lot nightmare.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

And did anyone notice in Sunday's Lexington Herald-Leader newspaper that WEG had a big advertisement that they were looking for more volunteers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.BarnBrat View Post
    I just had my phone interview on Friday....... The camping issues you may be having is becuase they decided to BLACK OUT all the camping at the horse park for the entire event......
    That's because that's where the grooms will be staying (that from a KY Horse park employee last winter when we visited and I asked about the campgrounds).
    Sandy in Fla.

Default I signed up four years ago

The week that the venue was announced, and as soon as there was a website. (In fact, I immediately contacted a local event organizer who is lightly connected with WEG.)Then signed up every time there was an opportunity to on line for the past two years. I've answered questionnaires, got an indication of what my work was likely to be, then got an email that said if I hadn't had a phone interview by the end of March, I had not been selected. As you might imagine, I did not get a phone interview.

Tickets are way too expensive for me to buy as much as I wanted to see, which is why I planned FOUR YEARS ago to volunteer. I'm not at all local, but had already arranged housing (two or three years ago). Do you all hear the grumbling? grrr. I'm going to stay home and ride my own horse instead.

Oldernewbie: Are you sure you aren't me? I could have written your post. Except I've been to headquarters several times in person, know someone working there, offered to help interview volunteers (did that one day until I found out I was expected to interview candidates 6 days and then also volunteer 6 days at the event, no can do since I work), and interviewed in person with one of the higher ups the first week of interviews. Haven't heard a word. I do think I'm going to get to do my regular Rolex job and may end up working for one of the regional Kentucky booths but in terms of WEG volunteering, I've given up.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    Oldernewbie: Are you sure you aren't me? I could have written your post. Except I've been to headquarters several times in person, know someone working there, offered to help interview volunteers (did that one day until I found out I was expected to interview candidates 6 days and then also volunteer 6 days at the event, no can do since I work), and interviewed in person with one of the higher ups the first week of interviews. Haven't heard a word. I do think I'm going to get to do my regular Rolex job and may end up working for one of the regional Kentucky booths but in terms of WEG volunteering, I've given up.
    Maybe you interviewed me!

If someone knows someone at WEG, perhaps they would be interested in reading about how *many* people want to help and are not getting any response? I have called and emailed about the fact that I did have an interview and have heard nothing.

I will be disappointed if I don't get to help, but what's a girl gotta do to get someone to get it right?

Default Shocking but true...

I got a return phone call on my missing phone interview. That was nice, but they don't know why the interview assessment didn't show up in their tracking system. I have no answer for that. They are going to investigate in case the same thing might be happening to others....

I did explain to the nice man I talked to that lots of information seems to be disappearing...no comment, really, from him.

We'll see what happens. Do I get an "A" for persistence?

Since you got a response...

I also 'enrolled' multiple times to be a volunteer. Haven't heard from anyone. (which surprised me because I volunteer ALOT so it isn't as though I have no skill set). I perceive they don't need any volunteers.

So, I am going as a spectator only.