The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default stall chains

Simple question - in general, how far from ground level does everyone put in their eye bolts for stall chains???

Thanks!

Smile

I would like to see, if a single chain, it placed at the height of the junction of the neck and chest. From there you can add others going up.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    I would like to see, if a single chain, it placed at the height of the junction of the neck and chest.
    That's what I do, so obviously different for every horse.

The lowest point of the top chain is at the junction of my horse's chest and neck. I have the eyebolts for a second chain about 8-10 inches below the top ones - otherwise my horse will duck under his chain to clean up hay scraps in the aisleway
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I hang 2 chains - one at chest height for horses and the other at the pony's chest height. These heights are ideal for me to crawl between.

Best way to do stall chains ever is done at the Carolina Horse Park. When they built their permanent stabling, they bolted a 3 ft section of chain to each side of the stall door. Then you can snap your stall chain/guard to the chain at whatever height you need and you don't put a zillion holes in the wood and leave screw eyes sticking out for things to get hung up on....

Quote Originally Posted by Humblepie View Post
    Best way to do stall chains ever is done at the Carolina Horse Park. When they built their permanent stabling, they bolted a 3 ft section of chain to each side of the stall door. Then you can snap your stall chain/guard to the chain at whatever height you need and you don't put a zillion holes in the wood and leave screw eyes sticking out for things to get hung up on....
    I'm having a hard time picturing this. Are the chains bolted to the wall just tight enough that they can't get their hooves between them and the wall?

Chain is bolted at top, middle and bottom. I duplicated this on my stalls and when I did I started with the top then did the middle then bottom. If you pull it tight as you are putting in the bolt, there is very little laxity in the chain and certainly not enough to get a foot through.

I don't have a premium membership so can't post pictures. Feel free to PM me and I'll try to send a photo if it still doesn't make sense.