The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pre-built vs. pole built run in shed?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but we are looking into putting in a run in shed and are trying to decide whether we should just buy one of the pre-built, deliver to your site ones, or whether we should build one the old fashioned way sinking poles,etc. Cost is a factor. Are there advantages/disadvantages to either that anybody has found? I need about a 10 x 20 and can't seem to find a way to do it any less than 3k in either case.
    Second Fiddle Farm

$3k for local rough-cut lumber, metal roofing, and your labor?

That seems quite high--around here, I can build something similar for around $1k. It's not going to be gorgeous smooth-planed lumber, but it will be safe and solid, perfect for a back field. And you can always get that imprinted plywood and nail it up on the outside for looks.

However, if you're talking $3k for planed lumber, possibly shingled roofing, and someone else's labor, then that's quite a steal, actually.

The 3k figure is either for a pre-made Amish shed or materials + labor for a hand built one with us helping someone else do the building (neither hubby nor I are skilled enough to do the construction ourselves but we can give the guy doing it a hand).
    Second Fiddle Farm

i think you'll be better off with the pole building. i think you could for the money easily go bigger and taller than a prefab. the only advantage i can see to a prefab is the ability to move it. with the prefab you will need to prep a very level area because it sits on a frame, with the pole building you can design it with a slight grade and elevate the siding so that it drains well.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Default Downsides of an Amish run-in shed

downside of the amish run-in sheds are:

(1) they are UGLY. short and squatty

(2) because they are typically short, taller horses can reach up and chew on the roof framing, and often the wood they use is quite tasty.

We built a 12' x 24' shed, that is 8' tall at the back and 14' tall at the front (it is too big for two horses ) for around $2k, and that includes shingles and flashing for the roof as well as paint.

It is not hard to build a shed. Just follow the directions. I knew nothing, my husband had the usual farm-kid experience (ie: helping his dad and uncles built similar sheds.)

We didn't sink poles either, we just built it on the ground. Depending on how the winds are at your place, this may not work for you.

The cheapest we could get a pre-built was around $4k, but delivery was going to be at least $2700.

The thing with pre-built is that you pay for a lot of material and construction that you only need for the "moveable" part. You can go with less bracing and smaller pieces of lumber (like 2x4 instead of 2x6) if you build on the spot.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior