The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default John Deere 955 tractor, anyone have one? Is it enough tractor?

There's a chance I might be able to get my hands on a JD 955 tractor for a very reasonable price and my only concern is whether its going to be *enough* tractor.

If you have one, I'd love to hear what you use it for, what you love about it and what you would do differently.

This particular one is 4wd, has turf tires and has a front end loader. Its 33 hp and diesel, has a belly mount mower and has a post hole auger.

Basically what I want to use it for is general work around my 6 acres, moving and flipping the manure pile, moving stone dust, auguring fence post holes, minor landscaping, helping to tear down and demo some small sheds (14 x18 ft) on the property and snow removal in the winter. You know, the basics

Any input is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    GP

I have a JD 750 with turf tires, not 4WD, and it is plenty for our 8 acres--though if I had an arena grooming attachment for our Bobcat I would get rid of it in a heartbeat..... Can get stuck on wet sloping ground though.

Jennifer

Seems a good size for 6 acres.

No matter what size tractor you have you'll always want something bigger for some tasks, but if you got one any bigger than that, it would probably be too cumbersome to mow with so you'd need a separate mower. Giant tractors work well in big rectangular fields, but if you are trying to mow a house yard around trees and paths you need something smaller.

You might not like turf tires on snow or ice though.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I already do have a regular riding lawn mower that's rather over powered, so it can technically cut pretty much everything already... I do have a big squarish field that I don't cut with it, but that's not a big deal.

I do worry about the turf tires... with the snow and ice we get here and also we are on heavy clay soil that gets very slick when wet. We're not very hilly, but we're not flat either.

Might not be a good deal if I'm always getting stuck!

Thanks!
    GP