The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wild Blue Internet upload speed barely moving

Because we live out in the country and because no one (cable or phone company) is spending money on infrastructure anymore, we are stuck with satellite internet.

We had HughesNet which was poor at best, both in customer service and reception. Last year we switched to Wild Blue through DishNetwork.

Upload speeds on satellite are are always slow on satellite, but ours is now down to .04 mps (that is 40 kbps) which is slower than dial-up.

We had the service techs out to check the equipment and nothing was wrong. The tech talked to Wild Blue and they said that was the best they could do and we would have to deal with it. We are paying for 256K upstream and are getting 40K. Any ideas on how to deal with them? We really have no other options.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

It will likely pass but there may be unknown problems with your equipment or their network if it doesn't.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

If you're not stuck in a contract with WildBlue, check out cellular broadband. I use Verizon Wireless, which covers most of Kentucky. I'm currently getting about 2 mbps down and .7 mbps up. Not great, but better and more reliable than satellite, and there's no other option.

If you're close to Lexington, you might be able to get AT&T 3G coverage. That might be a little faster than Verizon, in areas that it covers, but the coverage area is much smaller. I'm 20 miles north of Lexington, and it doesn't work here.

Be suspicious of the coverage maps that the companies publish on their website. If you get stuck on their low-speed data network, you'll hate it. When I first tried Verizon a couple of years ago, I got service that was worse than dialup, for 5x the cost. So I cancelled it. They offer a free trial, so it doesn't cost anything to try it and cancel immediately if it doesn't work. Verizon claims they've updated their entire KY network to high-speed, so anywhere you can get a Verizon cellphone signal, you can get broadband. I don't know how accurate that claim is. I just know it works for me, in an area where AT&T and Sprint don't.

Did the techs agree that that was the speed you were getting, or did they say that they measure it at the contractual speed?

There are some kinds of traffic that, by their nature, will be like molasses on the satellite. There are two examples I'm familiar with:

1. Any kind of encryption, like a VPN. To get the advertised speed, they are adding substantial compression on each end. Encrypted traffic can't be compressed.

2. short transactions, where your computer sends a packet and must wait for a return packet. An example would be changing directories on a remote server or typing commands on a remote server. Here the issue is that the packet has to go up into space and back, and the distance is such that there is a noticeable delay.

For both of these kinds of transactions, dialup will be faster.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Default Did the tech check the aim of the dish...

It doesn't have to be off much to really effect the transmit speeds.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Default I know how you feel

I have satellite internet, too (Hughes). There was a pretty good cell that went by and really knocked down signal strength; I had signal strength problems a couple of weeks ago and the repairman replaced the radio (long thingy on the dish) and it improved markedly. He also checked the alignment; since then it's done quite well.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I just did some checking and it seems that a solar storm occurred early last month which has affected several sat networks and knocked a few of them out of their orbits so perhaps that might have something to do with it.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

If your not locked in, cancel and go with a broadband.

I'm in a similar situation and for a long time my only option was dial up. My neighbor had satellite and it was slower than all get out so I didn't even want to try that option. I have Sprint broadband now and its as fast as any cable company.

Go to your local Radio Shack and talk to the guys (local geeks-God bless them) there and see what they recommend. I started with AT&T, and when the reception was slower than my dial up the AT&T tech could only suggest moving my furniture and getting a cable to put it near a window. He was a big help. So, wandered into the Radio Shack to get said cable and found out AT&T sucked in my area. Changed to Sprint and it's been working fine ever since.

Apparently best service for broadband service is Verizon, Sprint, and last AT&T. And don't believe their little maps showing coverage. It's not accurate. Talk to the local geeks who thrive on internet game play. They WILL steer you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Techs agreed that was the speed. DishNetwork agreed and so did WildBlue. Not anywhere close to the "contractual" speed, which, for some reason, they do not have to adhere to. It seems that satellite providers are regulated by no one, therefore have to follow no rules. It's a great gig if you can get it, I guess.

We can't get wireless broadband. We're too far from Lexington from anything wireless. There is a wireless provider on the other side of town from us, but we're across the Army Depot from them and the Depot blocks the signal. The only cell service that works on our property, and we've tried them all, only works in certain areas of the house like the laundry room, reception in the barn is actually not too bad, but is spotty. So, that's a no go. We do have data on our phones and when the satellite goes out, we position them in the only OK spot and it does work, sort of.

We've looked into a T-1 line but it's a minimum of $450/month. I just came back from a community meeting and we are exploring putting in a T-1 and re-broadcasting it as wireless for our road (private road) and all sharing the cost. So that may work.

As far as Wild Blue, all of our equipment was swapped out for new yesterday, set the new dish, cabling was checked (new last year). Speeds did not improve. WildBlue said there were too many new customers and it was degrading our upload speed, but "we would just have to deal with it." And that's a quote. As a final insult, the techs said the Wild Blue had just opened up about 250 slots for new customers in our area. So it sounds like it won't get better anytime soon. As an added kicker, if you try to cancel, they attempt to hold you to their two year contract, even if they can't meet their advertised speeds.

Default Have you looked into

QX.net, they are a wireless DSL provider in Lexington I believe. Basically using LONG RANGE wireless tech to give you DSL connection without the cable..
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

As an ex-satellite user, I feel for you.

Have you spoken with the wireless provider? Currently your signal is blocked, but if they knew there was a pocket of eager customers, perhaps they'd be motivated to add in a couple of antennas to bounce it around the Army depot.

And if you are line of sight to ANY OTHER customer, it may actually be fairly easy.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    QX.net, they are a wireless DSL provider in Lexington I believe. Basically using LONG RANGE wireless tech to give you DSL connection without the cable..

Too far south to be in their area. I truly have no other options. I've looked at every broadband network and they do not service my area.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    As an ex-satellite user, I feel for you.

Have you spoken with the wireless provider? Currently your signal is blocked, but if they knew there was a pocket of eager customers, perhaps they'd be motivated to add in a couple of antennas to bounce it around the Army depot.

And if you are line of sight to ANY OTHER customer, it may actually be fairly easy.
    No one is investing in infrastructure near me. It's a very low population area. I can only get wireless service with AT&T, the rest don't work. AT&T only works on certain areas of my road. Verizon only works on my porch. Sprint, nothing.

There is a wireless internet provider that was planning to service this area before the economy tanked. Now they can't afford to, so it's on hold.

I had Wild Blue and while it worked fine at the beginning, it got slower and less reliable as time went on. The techs didn't know what was going on and nothing fixed it. I even upgraded to the $100/month package and nada.

I finally went with mobile broadband and while many cellphones don't work in my house, the broadband does, it has an internal antenna, a booster, and connection for external antenna. It is much more reliable and tons faster.

Another option might be with Windstream, they have a Green"something" internet that is available in many rural areas across the US. Someone on COTH posted about in on a thread in Around the Farm. If you search "rural farm internet" the links should come up. It goes through a convention phone connection, but you don't even have to have a home phone to use it, just the connection.
    Last edited by RacetrackReject; May. 17, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No one is investing in infrastructure near me. It's a very low population area. I can only get wireless service with AT&T, the rest don't work. AT&T only works on certain areas of my road. Verizon only works on my porch. Sprint, nothing.

There is a wireless internet provider that was planning to service this area before the economy tanked. Now they can't afford to, so it's on hold.
    If you have a group that is seriously considering going in on a T1 line, though, that might change their mind.

I too live in a rural area. In our area, there is a project to bring fiber into the school which will probably benefit the community in the next few years.

In the meantime, go here:
    http://www.broadband.gov/qualitytest/

to let the FCC know that you're not being adequately served.

(more about the FCC broadband survey here:
    http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...roadband-test/)

Other side of the Army Depot? I can verify that cell phone service is spotty there, but I am not so sure that there aren't some military jamming devices in use also, though my "for sure" not so positive experience with a duplex jammer was out in the sticks north of Irvine.

I recall from reading on here about Hughesnet, that upload speeds drop significantly with increased traffic, and I do recall someone posting on one of the rural internet threads saying they had gone to a specific service provider over a T-1 and had excellent results. Supposedly KY made significant strides increasing connectivity to rural areas with 80% connected or able to be connected since 2004. Sucks if you're the 20% though.
    What I really dislike is that so many sites now have way too much bandwidth to be user friendly for dial-up - every stupid wiggling ad made our connection slower and slower, and this was on the PC that runs three times faster than the laptop, so the internet begins to be a poor tool for the non-urban. I was thrilled to find we had DSL available here, though I have the Xtreme and it runs at the same speed as my Mom in town's Basic (a third of what I pay).
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    In February, AT&T issued a press release saying they had "unveiled" their 2010 cellular expansion plan for KY, and that plan includes 40 new cell towers and upgrading 300 existing towers. I've been hoping that if the plan has been "unveiled", that maybe a list of specific upgrade locations is visible somewhere, so people in the boonies could find out if they're going to get better service this year. So far, I haven't been able to find any details. I just keep hoping that one day I'll come home and see a 3G indicator on my iPhone. It's a little ironic that now, when I'm at home, my iPhone uses WiFi to piggyback off my Verizon broadband instead of its native AT&T service.

Just kidding, my suggestion requires existing broadband.

My ex-friends (haha funny to write that) live in Versailles on a farm, right near BG parkway and Windstream laid down a DSL line for them for free. They had satellite and dial up internet but never could get anything faster because the house is too far back from Versailles/Lexington road. She called about a year or two ago and they said it would be no problem (previously windstream would never do this) and then windstream came and laid down a DSL line. Service isn't as fast as a normal DSL line but it is MUCH faster than dial up.
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

Yeh, I love Dish Network's contracts. The line that always got me is something like: "These terms are subject to change at Dish Network's discretion for "any" or "no" reason."

I really don't know how they get away with it. All I do know is an old saying I heard once "The squeaky wheel always gets oiled." So don't give up, squeak away.