The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Registration Options

I recently imported a mare from Argentina, who is subsequently registered with Silla Argentina and also Zangersheide. I was curious if it is worth trying to get her inspected for the AHHA mare books since I wish to breed her? If so, how should I go about doing this?

Her sire is Salido Z (Old) by Sandro (Sacramento Song). Her dam is Cobra Z (Hann) by Calypso I (Hol)(Corr de la Bryere). Cobra Z was out of Romanze Z who is by Ramiro Z and out of Huerka Z.

I am not too well versed in breeding, as I tend to dwell more in the performance side of things. I do believe, unless I am mistaken, that her mare line is pretty solid. I dont know, however, what my registration options would be for her foals. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Stoney447; May. 15, 2010 at 06:34 PM.

I'm not a Holsteiner person, but from what I know, outside mares have to score Premium to be accepted. Is she good enough for that?
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Are her papers Silla Argentino or Zangersheide? I think most WB registries only allow you to be registered in one although you could have breeding approval with several.

If she's Zangersheide, why not just register her offspring Z if you are going with an approved stallion?

If AHHA doesn't recognize Silla Argentino papers, I believe the Continental Studbook does, so that would be another option.

Good luck with your mare

May I ask where you purchased her? Was it through the Zangersheide Auction recently held there? Just for my own curiosity.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I'm so slow to get back, we are at a horse show
    I bought the mare from a private barn that works imports with a trainer I often ride with, I don't off hand know the name of the barn but will edit it in later when I get home to my papers. In truth she had just been brought back into Argentina from Mexico where she had been on lease.
    Honestly, I bought this mare to ride her (she is currently jumping the welcomes....so the low level 8-9 grand prixs with some success). However, she is such a nice mare, in my opinion that I want to look into breeding her.
    Because she was born in Argentina she had to be registered with Silla Argentina. Her papers are from that registry regardless of her heritage. Since Zangersheide is a secondary sport registry, she was enabled to be registered there as well and was inspected and branded by that registry. I would like her foals to be Able to have A primary registry in addition to Zangersheide if I can get her inspected.
    Since I know nothing about breeding I don't know if she is nice enough to be premium.
    I'm going to try to link a pic, but I don't know if it will go through my phone
    thanks again for the input!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&1=b0ec3le053

You could approve this mare with the Continental Studbook. The bloodlines are what matters, and this mare in question has core warmblood bloodlines. There are couple of nice horses from La Silla that have ended up being used in the Studbook.

Also, if you are more performance oriented, you will like the breeder friendly stallion policies where you can choose based on your goals for performance breeding without being limited are paying extra fees.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney447 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry I'm so slow to get back, we are at a horse show
    I bought the mare from a private barn that works imports with a trainer I often ride with, I don't off hand know the name of the barn but will edit it in later when I get home to my papers. In truth she had just been brought back into Argentina from Mexico where she had been on lease.
    Honestly, I bought this mare to ride her (she is currently jumping the welcomes....so the low level 8-9 grand prixs with some success). However, she is such a nice mare, in my opinion that I want to look into breeding her.
    Because she was born in Argentina she had to be registered with Silla Argentina. Her papers are from that registry regardless of her heritage. Since Zangersheide is a secondary sport registry, she was enabled to be registered there as well and was inspected and branded by that registry. I would like her foals to be Able to have A primary registry in addition to Zangersheide if I can get her inspected.
    Since I know nothing about breeding I don't know if she is nice enough to be premium.
    I'm going to try to link a pic, but I don't know if it will go through my phone
    thanks again for the input!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&1=b0ec3le053
    submit her to the RPSI--they are an open registry. But why bother until you know you are going to breed her? Wouldn't that decision in part hinge on the registries your then-selected stallion is part of?

She could be registered/ Approved with the American Warmblood Society. They have an open studbook and a pretty wide inspection tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney447 View Post
    I recently imported a mare from Argentina, who is subsequently registered with Silla Argentina and also Zangersheide. I was curious if it is worth trying to get her inspected for the AHHA mare books since I wish to breed her? If so, how should I go about doing this?

Her sire is Salido Z (Old) by Sandro (Sacramento Song). Her dam is Cobra Z (Hann) by Calypso I (Hol)(Corr de la Bryere). Cobra Z was out of Romanze Z who is by Ramiro Z and out of Huerka Z.

I am not too well versed in breeding, as I tend to dwell more in the performance side of things. I do believe, unless I am mistaken, that her mare line is pretty solid. I dont know, however, what my registration options would be for her foals. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Contact the AHHA; they're the best ones to advise you. And BTW, you are NOT mistaken: she has Cor de la Bryere and Ramiro Z (meaning Century Sire Ramzes AA) in that mare line; VERY solid.
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

Thanks again for all the replies.
    I am certainly going to contact the AHHA to see what they say. That is good advice in any event. I know they have an inspection near me in the fall, and since I am trying to formulate a plan for next breeding season (yay for embryo transfer!) I have to make tough decisions quickly.
    As for stallion selection dictating the course for my mare, I think that is a non-issue for me. From my dealings with the Zangersheide I have been instructed that mare line is just as important as stallion line (some may say more so). Since I own the mare and there are many stallions to choose from, I will be selecting according to her needs and what will promote/accentuate/improve on what I have to work with in her. I am certain that I can find a stallion that fits that bill in any of the fine registries that promote good breeding, including all the ones mentioned above.

Although I have been leaning toward trying to breed in the Ladykiller line. Any thoughts about Lord progeny that would mix well with her lines? Before I started investigating registries and mare books just recently I had thought about breeding the Galoubet line, but I think now that maybe that will be too much blood for her? If I go that route people have advised me to just go with Zangersheide and forgo primary registraion.

I am so torn with what to do. Too many decisions!

Also, thanks for mentioning the Continental Studbook. I was not familiar at all with this registry and plan on looking into it in any case!