The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cold Salt Hydrotherapy vs. Game Ready system? MTA: Bought a Game Ready and saved $$!

My 24 year old gelding has a severely bowed tendon and has been 5/5 lame for 12 days now despite traditional treatment. He has a 70% tear to the SDFT.

My vet and I are going to make a last ditch effort to save him, because he can't go on at this pain level much longer (worried about supporting limb laminitis) and he is suffering.

I keep him at home and have two possibilities. Send him to a $$ rehab facility for up to 2 weeks and have them do Cold Salt Hydrotherapy with him

OR

Rent a Game Ready system for 4 weeks and use it 2x daily at home.

I've heard great stuff from the vet about the salt water system, and that it really sucks the edema out fast. However, Game Ready is an alternative and more affordable for me, plus I can keep my horse at home where he is happy.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Watermark Farm; May. 20, 2010 at 06:09 PM.

I have used the cold salt hydrotherapy on one of my horses. It ran about $50 a session. Amazing results. It sucked the heat and inflamation out like you would not believe. Plus, it treats all 4 legs.

Game Ready is quite amazing and I think the combination of cold and rhythmic compression is unbeatable. I have used it on horses and have also had it used on myself after I tore a calf muscle skiing, and it was extremely effective. My calf was swollen up about 30% above normal, and after the session it was nearly painfree and almost down to normal proportions. I would go with the Game Ready. I've even been tempted to buy one, I figure between the horses and the humans someone is always getting injured around here.

Default Game Ready

I have a 20 year old GP horse who severely bowed probably 6 years ago (before being owned by me). He had been working sound on it for 5 years, doing all of his GP work 5x weekly. About 9 months after buying him, it got irritated by the footing in our covered arena - ultrasounds were fine, but there was some heat & inflammation & he had an ouchy day. I treated aggressively with time off, shockwave, Surpass, poultice and Game Ready. When I saw the results, I ended up purchasing the Game Ready machine. WOW. The leg looks better than when I bought him, it is tighter & colder and he's back to work 5-6x weekly. I do keep both fronts wrapped in his stall, and will use poultice or Surpass if I feel he worked a bit harder but am a huge believer in Game Ready! Expensive but worth it for him, he is my soul mate. I hope that you can find some relief for your horse soon.

Had another thought, though I'm not familiar with the first treatment option you mentioned. Can you send him to rehab for that treatment, then rent the Game Ready for a month to treat him once home?

Many many thanks for your input! I just love COTH because you guys know about these things!

The rehab facility called me this morning with the bad news that their cold salt hydrotherapy system (newly installed) is broken and will be offline for 2 weeks, so...

That makes the decision easy for me, I'm going to get a Game Ready rental on Monday. Thanks for your votes of confidence on game ready!

FEI, how does the bow history limit what you do with your horse, ie, do you turn him out in pasture or are you afraid to?

I would do Game Ready and Surpass, as well as whatever he needs drug wise to manage his pain for the first few days.

My guy is a MANIAC despite turning 20 last month (loff him!) so no turnout for him. Sadly, here in S. CA we don't have many options in the way of turnout anyway. Work wise, no limits - he still does all of the GP work with me and rocks his pi/pa tour. He showed thru Int-2 then got sidelined by the injury (ironically, torqued the leg while jousting with 'his' pony in turn-out) and never competed again despite recovering to full soundness. I am obsessive about footing, he is shod every 5 weeks, I never work him to the point of fatigue and don't let him plop on his forehand EVER. Longgggg warmups and cool downs with plenty of walk breaks in between. When he's done working & cooled out, I handwalk him on hard surface for at least 10 minutes - our entire barn area is paved (yeah, no mud!). Ice boots are applied while he is being untacked & stay on in his stall for about 20 minutes. Then the front legs are wrapped. He walks in the equiciser for 45 minutes every afternoon. Then, a 30-minute Game Ready treatment -poultice or Surpass if the workout warrants, then all 4 legs wrapped for the night.
    He is super sound on this regime, especially given his age & the fact that he has been working the GP for over a decade. I think we may try for my Silver this year. Basically, I take it one day at a time & thank him profusely ever time I dismount!

My suggestion is to use the full leg wrap, not the short utility wrap. Treat the entire leg.

Sorry I keep thinking of other things to add! I empty my automatic icemaker bin from home to use in my GR. I find those cubes keep the machine at a cooler temp & last much longer than bagged ice.

Thanks FEI. I'm ordering a game ready with the full length leg wrap. Thanks for the suggestion on the home ice, I'm going to start bagging up what my icemaker makes. Those ice bags from the store add up, too.

By the way, I discovered that you can buy a used human game ready machine and then call the company and order an equine 14' hose and the leg wraps. I'm putting together the whole thing for about $1400. Game Ready takes the serial # from your machine and "converts" it to an equine machine, which basically means you can't order human parts for it ever again. That's fine for me.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

watermark, I'm guessing if you ever wanted human parts, e-bay would be your friend!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Watermark, where are you getting the used human machine? I've been thinking about getting/renting a Game Ready for my horse during his rehab. I can't really afford a new one, but I'd much rather put the $$$ toward one I own vs. renting! PM me if you prefer!

The ebay Game Ready arrived today. This is a great way to get this system for less. PM me if you want the contact info of the guy in Kentucky who has 4 more (or go look on ebay under bgcrume)...they are former human rental pool units. He even offers a 7 day money back guarantee on them.

I purchased a human Game Ready control unit for $750.
    You call Game Ready once it arrives and give them the serial # so they can register it veterinary use (FDA thing). Once you do this, it can't be sold for human use.
    I ordered the 14' connector hose (human one comes with 6' hose, not long enough for a horse) for $215.
    I ordered a full leg wrap for $375.

Grand total: $1340

Good for you!
    Hope you are as thrilled with the results as I've been.