The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default proper use of leg!

My question to everyone is....... when you're trotting, do you use leg when you sit or when you rise?

There has been mixed feelings around the barn about which is correct...... has also got alot of people thinking about what they thought was naturel.....may be wrong!

Just wondering what everyone else does.

I'm hardly an expert but I was always taught to squeeze with the leg when at the sit position of the rising trot.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

If you need to use leg, I've always been taught leg on the sit.

Your leg naturally closes in the sit phase

Depends on what I am trying to do, although typically I will adjust my post so that I am using leg as I go down in the post. An example of when I would want to switch diagonals to use the leg correctly (or use the leg as I was going up in the post) would be leg yeilding towards the wall from the quarterline.

Are you assuming that one would be using both legs together or individually, and what would be the purpose of this leg aide? The leg can be used at different moments within the stride depending on the change you need to make. Your choice should not be influenced merely by your position, but by the effect you need to have on the horse. So - there really is no correct answer.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I guess I should have also included that it's when you are asking your horse to move more forward in the trot.

So yes..... using both legs.

I always squeeze when I sit to move forward, I think it would feel strange to do it as I'm posting but that's probably because it's how I've been taught.

i've always aided on the rise if i'm on the correct diagonal, bc that is when the inside hind is coming forward.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

It really doesn't matter. If you sit when one rear leg is on the ground the other is off the ground. If you only give the leg aide when you sit you are only encouraging one rear leg to push more, and the other to get more air time. That's fine if it's what you need, but it does not follow that the other rear leg will do the same.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I was taught to close my leg when I sit. My current trainer thinks that one should close your leg when you rise because the inside leg is in the air at that time... but I just can not do it...

fourmares...... that's the exact problem that I'm having. I was taught to use leg when you sit...... now trying to change that is nearly imposible! I can't seem to co-ordinate myself to use leg when rising!

Use leg whenever you need to use leg. Sometimes you need to influence one hind leg, and sometimes you need to influence the other. If you can't use leg on either the down or the up- you will either need to sit the trot sometimes, or switch to the inside diagonal sometimes to get the job done.