The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default custom or semi custom boots options - ARGH!

Hi all, per my other thread on wide calf boot options, I am really stuck for finding a boot that will fit my relatively small foot (size 8), wide calf (measures a 16" bare leg) and height (calf measures 18" in length bottom of heel to break behind knee).

If I can't get anything off the shelf to fit me, what are my options? I am only an occasional show goer, so really didn't want to spend more than $500 MAX (and I don't even want to spend that!) I also don't want to wait all summer for them to be made.

Also, if I find a pair of boots that almost fits, can I have them stretched and if so, how much, or put more elastic in them etc? and if I do that, can I only do that with boots I can actually get on?

Are they any other custom options than Vogel, Der Dau and Dehner? and any estimates on the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    Also, if I find a pair of boots that almost fits, can I have them stretched and if so, how much, or put more elastic in them etc? and if I do that, can I only do that with boots I can actually get on?
    Yes, you can have them stretched, and you can always have a gusset put in them if they don't have one already. You can stretch the calf up to about 1/2", although a 1/4" is usually easier. No, you don't have to be able to get the boots on, but you should ALMOST be able to get the boots on. But the easiest answer: Journeyman's can measure your calf, measure the boots, and let you know if they can stretch them or not to fit.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Thanks SSR, I am going to call them right now. I love these boots, love love love, but of course they don't go on. They do have an elastic gusset on the inside but it's not very stretchy.

We have about the same measurements, although I think My leg is even taller.

I found two options that fit pretty much custom, and only one is in your price range.

My every day boots are Mountain horse Rcihmonds. They are lovely, fit nearly perfectly thanks to the elastic gusset up the back, and have held up well to every day abuse. They are well within your price range.

My show boot is a Sergio Grasso. Don't just go off the sizing in places like Dover. They have so many options available and a distributor can easily order you the one you will need. These are slightly above your price range.
    http://www.schockemoehle.net/shop/im...ingstiefel.gif

Measurements are in cm.

Quote Originally Posted by ImJumpin View Post
    We have about the same measurements, although I think My leg is even taller.

I found two options that fit pretty much custom, and only one is in your price range.

My every day boots are Mountain horse Rcihmonds. They are lovely, fit nearly perfectly thanks to the elastic gusset up the back, and have held up well to every day abuse. They are well within your price range.

My show boot is a Sergio Grasso. Don't just go off the sizing in places like Dover. They have so many options available and a distributor can easily order you the one you will need. These are slightly above your price range.
    http://www.schockemoehle.net/shop/im...ingstiefel.gif

Measurements are in cm.

Thanks - I loved the Richmonds, have a pair right now that I'm trying out, but they are way too short. These have dropped slightly but were only worn 5x or so. As of right now, they are a good two inches too short. Considering that they started out at under 18 inches new, I guess that is why they are going to be too short. I need a boot to start at least at 19 inches to even get close. How are these fitting you lengthwise??

I really love the Treadstone french calf leather boots that I bought, and am currently wearing unzipped Would love to find a way to work with them even if I had to spend another $100 doing work on them. UGGG. I so wish the Richmonds were taller!

After 5 years out of the saddle, my old show boots (worn 2x!) wouldn't even remotely fit. I did have them stretched once, but it still wasn't enough. So, I took them to a shoe shop that's used to horse people and tall boots (very important step if you're read some of the horror stories on here) and they were able to take out the back seam and put in a matching but slightly wider piece of leather and then put the boots back together. From the front/side, you can't tell that anything was done. Looking directly at the seam, it's obvious that the seam is wider (also because it's slightly curved to be wider at the wide part of the calf, narrower at the ankle), but you'd NEVER know the boots didn't come like that to begin with. And the shop measured my legs and did 2 fittings while in the middle of working on the boots so they fit JUST LIKE CUSTOMS when they were done.

Sadly, I've now lost some weight and they are a little loose, but I won't have them tweaked again until I lose a bit more.

The whole process cost me about $100, which is roughly the cost of putting in zippers (another option I considered), but I really didn't want to deal with zippers breaking at some crucial point down the road and another $100 to replace them!

I didn't pay attention to where you're located, but if Raleigh, NC is anywhere even semi-convenient, I'd heartily recommend Man-Mur Shoe Shop!

The Richmonds won't drop beyond that. They are too short on me if you look at them directly from the back, but with the Semi-spanish top, they look more than fine from the side view. I wasn't too concerned with them being too low in teh back for my every day boot (esp since it meant less pain breaking in, no heel lifts, etc), but honestly would not hesitate to show in them as they don't look bad from the viewpoint anyone can see when you are mounted.

Thanks Jens for your experience. I am in the heart of horse country, near Middleburg VA so we do have some options are far as seeing if there is work that can be done. I am definitely going to take these Treadstones to them and see if it would be possible. Honestly at this point, I'd be happy to pay the extra $100 if I could get them to fit, as opposed to spending nearly $1K for customs.

HiJumpin' - interesting. The size 8s that I tried are way too short from the back but I wanted to give them a shot, so I rode in them and hated how short they were. Even with the spanish top you could still see all knee My trainer said I would not be happy with them, and since i have a thing for too short boots, I agreed. I am considering ordering the 9s which are about a half inch taller. It really wouldn't help me much, but a half inch is better than nothing so may go that route. SO frustrating!

Default Richmonds

So, where did you get your Richmonds? Any better deals that you've found? Our measurements are very similar except my leg is shorter. Might work for me. Thanks!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

There is actually a COTHer that has a size 8 wide for sale, if you wear that size. I have them at the moment but ultimately they will not work for me. Alternately VTO Saddlery has them for $287 and Saddlery Liquidators in Middleburg VA had them for around the same price.

oh and to update, I am ordering custom boots from Cavallo in Germany...just waiting to finalize the order and then hopefully in 8-10 weeks, I may actually have a boot that fits! (crosses fingers).

Default Thanks!

I'm taking my current boots to the shoe place to see about getting elastic put in tomorrow. If you want to refer the person that has them to me, might not mind it in case I don't like my old ones with the elastic. Thansk!

Hope your new boots work out perfectly for you!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe