The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Key Contender, NY Stallion

Has anyone here had experience with any of his get?
    http://www.highcliff.com/registry_im...contender.html

He has a most lovely pedigree for sport.
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

Since he's 22, he must have had lots of progeny who have gone into other pursuits than racing. So, in the interests of research, have any of you had any of them?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Pedigree is quite similar to Key Moment's, a TB mare who always crossed beautifully with L-Line Holsteiners. They both have Key To The Mint and Bold Ruler blood, in the same places.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/key+moment

Key Moment is the dam of an approved Holsteiner stallion, the damsire of another approved Holsteiner stallion, and dam to SEVERAL very nice warmblood (AHHA, BWP and ATA) mares, including my 4 yr old BWP mare (sired by an L-Line Holsteiner) who won both her YEH classes this year.

So... For the stallion in question, I don't know any offspring but the pedigree intrigues me! Have you done bloodline searches for him on equine.com, dreamhorse.com, horsetopia.com, etc?

Sorry can't help with that stallion, but I sure love what my Key to the Mint mare produces. I think its a great sport horse line
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Key Contender is not in the pedigrees of any horses on any of those sites.

He's a Paul Mellon bred, and that's the best of the best. Mellon raced on both sides of the Atlantic, and his breedings were meticulously planned. I sort of equate Mellon and the Aga Khan when it comes to the quality of animals they bred.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I love love LOVE Key! Actually just had my Fleetwood Mac mare confirmed in foal to him. He doesn't get many mares any more (handful a year) which is a shame. So I don't have any experience with his get, but he himself is a really sweet guy, will play with you in his stall, is well mannered and the people at Highcliff seem to really enjoy having the old guy around.

I know this thread is old but i have one of his sons and he is nothing short of an overachiever. He is a 2004 gelding and I could not think of a better horse, he is one of the sanest and quietest horse in the barn. He loves to travel and see new things, he takes everything in stride and is willing to do whatever his rider asks him. He has a lovely jump and is so willing its remarkable. Everything so far that we have put in front of him, he jumps and clears and snaps his knees perfectly almost every time. He has consistently is able to clear 3' like it is nothing and has taken a jump like its 4', another time he has cleared the top of the standard leading us to believe we have only scratched the top of his potential. He does have some speed to him even after being off the track for a number of years so he will be competing in the jumpers. He has very strong feet and a very balanced canter. Nothing seems to phase him which i love.