The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fair Hill needs volunteers this weekend! STILL IN NEED!

The Fair Hill International Recognized Horse Trials this weekend, May 15-16, really needs some good volunteers!
    Come on out and help run the event.
    Saturday and Sunday fence judges needed; and we could use a few scorers!
    Just remember: if you just ride and never bother to volunteer, don't be surprised if some day there aren't any competitions to enter!
    Volunteering gets you a free tee shirt and a free schooling nite at FHI (a $45 value!).
    Please email Bodgie Read at: robobr@aol.com and make sure to leave your phone number.
    Last edited by Old War Horse; May. 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: still in need of help!

bump

I'm out of town for work this weekend, but Fair Hill is a great place to volunteer!
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Default I'll be there Sunday

I had to sell my soul to Bogie after showing up to the last schooling with no money.

I thought my days volunteering at the International would get me a free schooling but apparently they changed that rule.

I promised her I'd volunteer at the next show so I could x-country school !

I used to volunteer all the time but I have to work my retail job most Saturdays in addition to my teaching job all week. Sundays are my only day off but I will give this Sunday to Fair Hill!

We'll be there or at least my son will. He owes her big time since he talked her into having the first ever (or first in a long time)DelMarVa Region Tetrathlon Rally this year. Of course, since it's my son she out me in charge of organizing it .

Ok so I admit going in that I'm a hypocrite...I have plans I can't move Saturday, but I might be able to make Sunday happen. I haven't done as much as I could, and I haven't competed in 2+ years.

That being said, what the hell has happened to the eventing community in Area 2? (One of the largest in the USA)

98 reads and only 5 replies. Honestly, do we really think that events are like dinner parties at the country club nowadays?? We just pay to come and expect to be served by others without lowering ourselves to that "volunteer help" status???

I heard that Plantation had a very serious lack of fence judges, and some other events did as well.

If you all want to play in this arena, it'd do a lot of good if we taught all the newbies, up and comers, re-riders and so on to give back to the sport as well as taking from it.

When I competed out in Area 6 I was so impressed that when faced with a judge shortfall, they'd make 1 or 2 radio announcements and lots of people would come up to volunteer. But then out west they work a lot more with the team enviornment, not nearly as independent and all about me as here.

What can we do to get people to understand the necessity of giving back? I mean I know there are great deals offered, free schooling etc, but really how do we make people get that this sport needs giving more than it needs people who just take and take and do nothing??

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I can only speak for myself but the economy has defiantly effected my ability to volunteer. I really like doing it but if I have to choose between a days pay or a day volunteering I have to choose working.

No point having horses if I can't afford to feed them.

Also we can't depend on the goodness of people's hearts. It just doesn't work.

I don't think Plantation offers schooling vouchers (I don't think they have schooling days) and as I said before they changed the rule with Fair Hill International as well.

Not really sure what to tell you.

That being said, what the hell has happened to the eventing community in Area 2? (One of the largest in the USA)

98 reads and only 5 replies.

Slow down there! I think the important thing is whether people replied to Bodgie, not whether they replied on this forum! I was thankful for the posting, and I think that using the COTH, Facebook, etc will help get the word out to prospective volunteers.
    My daughter and I will be volunteering on Sunday, since it is a rare break from competition for her!

I'm competing one day and grooming the next.....and working in between....so I probably can't. If after I get my times I can work it out to help some...I will, but I will be surprised if I can swing it.

Most people who I know can volunteer, already are volunteering.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    I don't think Plantation offers schooling vouchers (I don't think they have schooling days) and as I said before they changed the rule with Fair Hill International as well.

Not really sure what to tell you.

No schooling vouchers...but you do get entries in a raffle that he does. I think last year it was a trip to Rolex. Also, volunteer hours there count for several of the local organizations which require a certain number of volunteer hours for year end awards. It is also a pretty easy venue to volunteer and fence judge at because you generally can see a lot more than just your fence.

All the area II events treat their volunteers really well. It is just a matter of having the time to give for most people!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I will also say that for the April Plantation, Sarah told me she was short. I posted here and on Facebook and she ended up with more volunteers than she needed. People do pitch in!
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

This note made me go volunteer on Saturday.

I would if I weren't competing on Saturday and mom's away judging Sunday while still on FoalWatch2010 for the duration with a high risk mare. If only it were possible to be in 3 places at once (in the ring, at stallside and volunteering).

I'm riding saturday but just e-mailed Bodgie that I'd volunteer sunday.

Xctrygirl, I'll tell you why some of us in Area 2 no longer volunteer. I, and several others I know, no longer compete but we've been loyal volunteers for a number of events over the last thirty years. We remember when the upper level riders staffed Jenny Camp so the lower level riders could compete. They no longer do that as they are too busy making money coaching at events and/or promoting themselves. I decided I no longer want to support that business model. I also don't like the direction the FEI has taken so I choose not to support those levels or events. And a friend who has jumped judged all over area 2 for years told me recently that she was asked to wait after a cross country day for the ground jury to speak to her about a call at her fence. She waited two hours, tried to find the ground jury, left her phone number, and returned the next day to see the clearly earned penalties had been removed. She doesn't think she'll volunteer to judge there again. Free schooling passes don't motivate everyone.

Wink

Oh poo. I had the FEI steward at FHI blame ME for some dumb South American rider who could not speak ENGLISH who was late to the start (I was WU steward). What, the gigantic Seiko time clock wasn't in Spanish? They took his time faults away. So it goes. Blame the volunteers. So what. You laugh and go on. I do however maintain a pretty large chip on my shoulder against the dirty looks from DOC, who was coaching him. He always finds something to hate me for each year. . .

Hell, just walking a course once (not jump judging) I had a guy on video whacking a horse about eight-10 times with whip at water jump and they let him go and the photographer there even backed me up - and the TD still said "well, it's not definitive." I can watch a video and count to ten, what, you can't? It's all crap. Can't let it get to you. One of the many reasons I don't want to be an official.

At Flora Lea last year in the afternoon, there was a break while the jump judges went out to the jumps for the last division of the day. Two little LITTLE girls in bright rubber Wellies were going out there carrying little foldling chairs with Mum behind with clipboard and radio. It was OUTSTANDING. They trooped right through the warmup past Jennie Brannigan, Ryan Wood, Buck Davidson, etc. It was a great sight.

So I volunteer anyhow. It doesn't bother me anymore. The people who DO appreciate what you do are very nice so it all evens out. Some of the big name trainers would LOVE to do stuff for the volunteers but it is hard to arrange at the spur of the moment, and many simply cannot work on the day, however if you ask them to donate a lesson to volunteers to win in a raffle, most will do so gladly, so it's just a matter of the organizers asking them. I am actually working on a nice payback thing for the fall which may involve a couple of BNT's. I'll post it here when I get it set!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Default The Age Old Problem

Trying to staff two days of horse trials is SOOO difficult; everyone is either riding, working or off somewhere, since it's a busy time of year.
    Of course, some of you are stars for stepping up!
    Bodgie still doesn't have enough people, and only has ONE scorer for one day of two. Guess I'll be hauled in to do it....
    And it is true that some people ride in every event and have never bothered to volunteer. Giving a clinic is nice of the BNT's, but that doesn't solve the problem of bodies on the ground.
    I forsee a day when there is a recognized trial and not enough jump judges show up. What will happen then???

Bumpity, bump, bump.

I don't event. At all. Don't even care to, really, but I love watching those nutjobs fly around the course. I volunteered, and will be there Saturday.

Fair Hill is lovely....

Quote Originally Posted by Old War Horse View Post
    I forsee a day when there is a recognized trial and not enough jump judges show up. What will happen then???

I suspect a business opportunity. Some one will find a way to staff events with paid Jump judges. They will probably use fewer people and more technology....and we will pay higher entry fees to cover it .....

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    I suspect a business opportunity. Some one will find a way to staff events with paid Jump judges. They will probably use fewer people and more technology....and we will pay higher entry fees to cover it .....
    ...Robot jump judges...