The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 9 pocket ice boot on TOTD

I know that there was a thread about this a few weeks ago on where to find these.

Here you go! Under $40.00 for one.

http://www.tackoftheday.com/extra/default.aspx
    Bobbi
    ~ Jus Passed My Zipper aka Spanky, 11yo QH gelding.
    ~ Muskogee, 2yo Oldenburg Colt.

It doesn't come with the ice packs that's sort of annoying. I wonder how the pockets are shaped and if it would be hard to find 9 ice packs to fit.

I have these ice boots and I absolutely detest them! The pockets are very small (haven't found ice packs to fit) - and you have to shove handfulls of ice cubes in them...which takes forever...

thus, they sit in my trailer, unused...while I use my ancient zip-up ones...or just stick the horse in a knee tub (I am very lucky that all of my boys think nothing of standing in a big bucket of ice...)
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

For an interesting alternative, take a look at the Techni-Ice sheets that Schneiders sells for much cheaper than this site for humans with IBS. Wish I had found this earlier, as I have a couple of Techni-Ice sheets that I bought as a Bonus from Schneiders and have never used. Since they are good for both hot and cold packs, I could have used mine when I was hot packing D's leg.

http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/suplmts/techice.asp
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

So... I"m sure this is probably not as new and exciting of an idea to all as it is to me..... But..

My friend gets the "ice blankets" and uses them. They are basically multiple little packs of water in a big sheet, so when they freeze, you can bend them, roll them, *wrap them around your horses' leg* and use them Then, she just throws her shipping boots on over to keep them on and viola! Easy ice boots! I've actually found some at kmart for only $2.50 but they aren't quite big enough. I think I'm going to have to go to a camping store or something.

But it seems like a great idea and great way to do it. One big sheet so you don't have to have multiple ice packs and it conforms.

Now... I just have to find a sheet big enough Apparently they make them in rolls and you can cut your own to size, but I have yet to find a place!

So hey vineyridge...

I think the link you posted is very similar to what I'm thinking of, but better! But it's hard to tell from the picture. How big are the packs? Are they in a big sheet?

Do you use them? Like them? Would they stay in place under a shipping boot?

Thanks!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

http://www.sstack.com/Horse-Care_The...hni-Ice-Sheet/

See the size and photo on the Schneider site. I'd use them for everything that needs either heat or cold, including on myself.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire