The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Stubben EZ Control Bits

I am currently riding my 7yr old ISH mare in Stubbens version of the KK Ultra loose ring, but I need something with a bit more steering power. I am going to try a full cheek on her, but and stumbled across this one: http://www.doversaddlery.com/stubben...01136/cn/1458/. I like it because it has a similar 3 piece mouth piece like her loose ring that she pretty well in. Has any one used this bit? Does any one know if it it legal in dressage because of the independent right and left communication? I know the myler level one bits also have a similar mechanic-ism, and they are now approved for use in the dressage phase, but this doesnt seem the same.

No idea on the legality, but a friend tried it on her horse and the mare pitched a massive temper tantrum. She goes well in a Myler however...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

The EZ control mouthpiece is not a revolving center. It doesnt have any more independence then a regular 3 piece. It is like a lozenge mouth except that its only loose and forgiving away from the tongue. When flexed towards the tongue, it locks and becomes rigid.

I tried one on my horse, and he hated it. Like twisting his head all over. I gave it to a friend to try, her horse had a fit.

Oh, yeah my mare would probably hate that too... Thanks you guys!

I have the dee-ring version. My young horse likes it much better than the single jointed dee I tried him in. The dee really helps with steering. I ended up with it because it's one of the few lozenge dee bits that comes in a 5.25.

I think the action is less "loose" than a regular French link or lozenge and won't pinch the tongue as easily. It feels like a double jointed bit when you aren't using rein pressure but then feels like a shaped mullen with rein pressure. I can't imagine it wouldn't be legal...

If your horse likes the KK Ultra why not try the dee version of that?

I love the KK D, but it costs a fortune. riding the current youngster, who is not a big fan of bits in general in this, similar to and $100 less than the KK and I think the curved mouthpiece is a win for this guy as he hates it somewhat less than other bits: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-010064
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

A friend's mare that I am riding just got a Stubben Easy Control "3 ring gag" for jumping.

http://www.shophorsepower.com/catalo...it-p-4169.html

She was jumping in a regular gag bit before we tried the Stubben one, and she seems to like the new bit a lot more. I have found that turning is easier, and we had the Stubben rep explain the engineering of the bit to us at Rolex. She went ok in a regular 3 ring elevator, but they can pinch and you don't have that problem with the Stubben bit.

I am surprised that so many people have had issues with it!
    No Trouble
    2/2/05 - 7/29/13
    Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

I wish that Stubben 3 ring came in a regular french link. I love the cheek style, because some horses are really wormy in regular 3 rings. But I just hate the rigid effect of this one.

If you hold it by the lozenge in the direction it sits in the mouth, it falls stiff to each side. So I dont think it works the way they say "soft until they lean". I think its always rigid towards the tongue, because I havent be able to make it do otherwise with my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    No idea on the legality, but a friend tried it on her horse and the mare pitched a massive temper tantrum. She goes well in a Myler however...
    LOL. And my youngster HATED the dressage-legal Mylar and goes extremely well in the E-Z control, which is legal. I'm not sure what the referenced to left-right is, though. The only way in which my E-Z Steubben differs from a regular loose-ring French mouth is that if the horse "pulls" on it (or the rider does!), it locks into a mullen mouth rather than "folding" like a regular snaffle. My last two horses have preferred "quiet" bits (my old boy liked the Baucher), baby likes this one. Now, I'm an ammy DQ, former eventer. Don't know if dressage legal for dressage shows means dressage legal for eventing any more.

I'm pretty sure the bit the OP linked in is the bit I use with my TB. He likes that bit and won't go in anything else without fussing. Strange little horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthehorse View Post
    I wish that Stubben 3 ring came in a regular french link. I love the cheek style, because some horses are really wormy in regular 3 rings. But I just hate the rigid effect of this one.
    Well if money is no object, Neue Schule makes a very similar cheek. They call it the "universal". My horse's XC bit is a waterford universal, but they sell one that's a KK-like lozenge bit:
    http://www.neueschulebits.com/acatal...ls___Gags.html

I tried it on an old ISH I had. He hated the thing. I'm pretty sure I LOST steering with it!

I realize this is an older thread, but I have just acquired a horse that seems to go quite happily in this bit:

http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/stu09bit2281.html

for those who have used it, do you have to use gag cheeks with it or can you just attach it like a regular bit? Either way is fine with me, I was just curious.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Old thread but I will throw in my 2 cents. The snaffle versions are legal for USEF dressage, but I am not sure about eventing dressage. I use the loose-ring version for my mare, and she loves it. It's a nice dressage bit for horses who tend to curl and get behind the bit, because when they go forward into it, it locks and is essentially a mullen-mouth, and very comfy for them.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Great - another area where the rules are different. Canadian dressage rules now (or per the proposed rules for Jan 1) prohibit "locking snaffles" in the same rule they prohibit Dr Bristols...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."