The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Got the Lyme titer Results Back Today :(

I got my horse Stanley's Lyme titer results today and the numbers aren't good.
    His Lyme titer is 40,000 which is extremely high.

The vet will come Wednesday and put a catheter in neck and he will have to get Tetracycline IV twice a day. The vet didn't say how long it would be for. I will find out more on Wednesday.

I am really bummed because I was planning on showing him but now I have to put that on hold.

I hate Lyme. Every year I have to put my dog on doxy because his Lyme titer gets high and he starts to get really sore. My dog is currently on it right now.

I could use some jingles for Stanley that all goes well and his Lyme titer drops.

Jingles to you, I know that sucks. Which test was it, if I may ask?

I hate Lyme Disease!

It sounds like you are quite knowledgeable, but I've known several horses that feel better pretty quickly once the antibiotics are started. Jingles that your horse is one of them.

Also add the homeopathic Ledum pallustre. The 30C is easy to get at health food type store. Feed 3 pellets 3x/day for 3 days. Don't handle the pellets. Either put them in his food or use the cap of the container to drop them into his bottom lip.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Androcles View Post
    Jingles to you, I know that sucks. Which test was it, if I may ask?
    I don't know what test it was. It was a blood test that the vet sent to the lab. He had a high lyme titer this past fall but the vet chose to treat it with doxyclycline for a month. It dropped his titer in half but it must have gone up since then.

I think that is the reason why his legs have been puffy and he has been stiff and sore.

Is there anything I should watch out for? Can the IV antibiotics make them colic? I am wondering if there are any side effects.

Jingles for Stanley. So sorry you're faced with this.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Jingles to you and I have been there..
    the best treatment for Lyme is 30 days of IV Oxytet followed by a course of oral Doxy. Would suggest probios and to be given at another time other them when the doxy is being administered..
    There is some literature on Lyme by Dr. Divers at Cornell..Check it out. Also, the IV does not upset the belly either
    Good luck
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

The average treatment for doxy is at least 3 months. My mare has been treated twice but has not been symptomatic at all. I am believe that it never goes away no matter how much you treat them.

I put mine on probios when she was on the drugs.

Actually, the latest studies showed that after IV Oxytet the tissue samples appeared clean...I am trying to locate the study.....

Can anyone explain the difference between the western blot test and the PCR test?

I hate lyme. I have had 5 horses with it. Unfortunately, my local vet knows very little and isn't that interested in following the latest protocols.
    I do use a clinic/hospital for consult, fortunately.

I thought about doing the IV oxytet, but was told that kidney function should be checked once a week. I don't have vet support like that to do it at home, and 5 horses hospitalized for a month...yikes.

I wish lyme was researched as aggressively as they have done for WNV, and an effective vaccine be developed. It is a horrible disease.

I absolutely hate lyme, too!
    We had one then 22 year old horse on oral doxy for 1 month and he cleared up and is going strong now. My mare was on tetracycline IV for 21 - 28 days (can't recall) and then doxy for 2 months. She's doing great now. Another -- a young gelding was on tetracycline IV for 21 - 28 days and doxy for 2 months. He never did recover - was more neurological - and eventually we had to put him down.

What I wanted to say tho -- is that we used Aloe Vera juice (Walmart - $7 for a gallon) 1 c with each feeding -- to soothe tummies because stall confinement is stressful. I found a zip up slinky -- ebay store -- to be the easiest way to keep the cathether from snagging. Succeed applied at the injection site will keep it from itching.

Most importantly tho -- When the catheter was first inserted, the gelding colicked. Fortunately, I was watching him in the stall and the vet was still at the barn when it happened and we had banamine on hand. When the mare became agitated (started checking out her flanks and pawing in the aisle) after the catheter had been inserted, we gave banamine right away. The vets said this hadn't happened with their other horses.

We found that we needed to delute the recipe for the tetracycline. Same amount of tetra but 2x the water(?). The vet worked out the recipe. Apparently the tetracycline going into the horse's system too quickly burns. We administered the tetra slowly but by diluting the tetra, it took a little longer but was easier on the horse.

The amazing grace toy filled with thinly slice carrots was nice distraction.

Lots of jingles coming your way.

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    Actually, the latest studies showed that after IV Oxytet the tissue samples appeared clean...I am trying to locate the study.....
    You do want to follow up with oral doxy. Literature varies on length of follow up treatment.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    Can anyone explain the difference between the western blot test and the PCR test?

I hate lyme. I have had 5 horses with it. Unfortunately, my local vet knows very little and isn't that interested in following the latest protocols.
    I do use a clinic/hospital for consult, fortunately.

I thought about doing the IV oxytet, but was told that kidney function should be checked once a week. I don't have vet support like that to do it at home, and 5 horses hospitalized for a month...yikes.

I wish lyme was researched as aggressively as they have done for WNV, and an effective vaccine be developed. It is a horrible disease.
    Unfortunately, Lyme is very political. There are multiple theories as to why.

Basically PCR detects Lyme DNA. It is irrefutable evidence of a Lyme infection. Western Blot detects antibodies. If the horse is not mounting a significant immune defense (which seems to happen with Lyme), the Western Blot can have a false negative. There are other finer points with the Western Blot, whether is shows a current or past infection, but all the bets seem to be off with Lyme Disease. A lot more research needs to be done!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thanks for the information.

How is a PCR done? I am only familiar with elissa/western blot. We send to Cornell. I suppose I could ask them to send to wherever if Cornell doesn't process the PCR.

I pulled a microscopic tick off my baby today...it was on the tip of his nostril and looked like a black freckle, argghhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    You do want to follow up with oral doxy. Literature varies on length of follow up treatment.
    I think I had said that in a previous post.....We did 30 days post IV and so far so good....

I am really curious about the PCR test.
    Has anyone done this, and if so, what lab did they use?

thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    I think I had said that in a previous post.....We did 30 days post IV and so far so good....
    You sure did - just on my thread ..

Lyme's sucks - my horse has stopped eating so now i'm making paste w/applesauce.. ughhhh! She eats it..

though i starting to think it's the probiotics she hates and not the meds.

Can we call this the Lyme Pitty thread.. please!!
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Thanks Sparkle...I am just so tired of Lyme I get the threads all mixed up! Did you read the article..? If you can try and get probios that do not have sugar in them, they work better...
    She won't eat the Doxy? The iV is so much easier as far as that is concerned and also no tummy upset......
    Fortunately for me Hurdle eats what ever I put in his bucket, except Apple Jacks an Cherrios! Including Robaxin!
    Sometimes it is hard to tell with or without the titre...we use the western blot mostly or a trend with the ELISA.....but I know his symptoms so well that all I have to do is call the vet and bag we are treating again..
    Is there a LYME support group out there?
    Also do not feed the probios with the drugs, it kills them too!