The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best place to get a reasonably priced double bridle?

Visiting from eventing.... In preperation for Intermediate my trainer has had us work some in her double bridle. Where can I find one that doesn't break the bank? Thought you guys might have some good ideas. Also, can I start with some inexpensive bits and work up to the expensive ones? Thanks!
    Helen
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO - you're on course!

Just bite the bullet and buy the bit that works best (even if it is the most expensive). See if your trainer has a few bits you can try first so you know what works best for your horse. Can't help you with the bridle, my horse was between a cob and a horse size so, when I finally found one that fit, I got it no matter what the cost.

In my experience Dover had some of the best prices but Dressage extensions staff had the most expertise regarding correct fit. I have a snaffle bridle from Smartpak that is their "house brand". It took a bit to break in but, in the end, turned out quite nice and it was pretty cheap. I don't know if they make doubles.

Good Luck.

I recently got a Cadence double bridle from Dover - LOVE it !! Gorgeous leather, nice fit - was around $ 290 I believe.
    Perfection is not attainable, but when we chase perfection, we can catch excellence - Vince Lombardi

www.thehomestedt.com

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Europe. The prices are lower, but I guess you have to factor in the expenses. It's fun to go and look though!

Check some of the forums that have classifieds (COTH, UDBB, Bit and Barter, etc.) and ebay for a good quality used one. VTO had some Courbette doubles on closeout at very good prices.

Don't skimp on the bits. Find what works for your horse and buy it. If its expensive (just about every horse at my barn goes in some Herm Sprenger curb), look for a used one. Ask your trainer if she will sell you one of her old ones.

If you have an extra snaffle bridle, you could just get the bradoon hanger and an extra set of reins.

No opinion on the bits.

Christa

Check out Schneiders www.sstack.com and ebay.

Ok-so I did the bit rental thing from Dressage Extensions and I have a Herm Sprenger HO curb and a KK Ultra Bridoon coming for a two week trial before I have to buy them.
    I found some bridles on eBay. Does $225 sound reasonable for a one year old Otto Schumacher double bridle? There are also some cheaper no name brands on there but I really can't stand cheap leather. What do you guys think?
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO - you're on course!

I think that price is reasonable for the Schumacher if it has reins that you like; if not then 2 sets of reins can get expensive. I shopped around for a while and was going to order a custom Frank Baines but they never contacted me back. I saw them at Rolex and told them EVERYTHING I wanted and it was going to be around $200 I think... Even gave them my card number and then no response. Oh well... Ended up moving overseas and horse is for sale anyway. IF they will contact you back then their leather is VERY nice and they'll make what you want. Otherwise, buy a nice brand used.