The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default standardbred curiousity

Having spent most of my life with the thoroughbred industry, it is common knowledge that we cannot infuse outside blood into the registry. I heard today that it is possible to infuse thoroughbred blood nowadays into the standardbreds. I had thought it was the same with the standardbreds---that no outside blood can be used other that registered standardbreds..just a curiousity. The person was adamant that they could register a thoroughbred-standardbred cross.
    Please advise...Thanks!

You cannot breed outside the registry. All foals must be parentage verified by DNA and that DNA of the parents must be in the data base. Standardbreds have been DNA verified for years now; as soon as it became a reliable option, the blood-typing went out the window. Sadly, a few horses fell through the cracks as a friend found out when he discovered his horse was listed as non-standard when he wanted to use him as a sire and the owner of the maternal granddam missed her in transition somehow. The positive side to DNA is oops babies can be registered as the suspects are already in the system - I have one of those, and his sire could have been one of three, so they just narrowed it down by checking the prospective sires' hair samples against the data base. I know of someone else who did the same, and found the sire that way as well.

The last incident of TB blood that I know of was an oops baby born in the late 70s or early 80s and it got in during the transition phase to DNA. A cross to anything can only go under the appropriate warmblood association subject to inspection or to one of the loosely formed racking breeds. The offspring of such a cross can never be registered with either Standardbred Canada or the USTA and can certainly never race at a meet where statistics are taken and records kept.

The person who told you this is misinformed and should do some research before beaking off.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Default thanks!

Thanks for the info, sk_pacer. I thought it was not true, but times do change. I do appreciate the info and will "advise her".
    Your explanation is very well written!

Not a problem, I am hunting for the appropriate information for you from SC as they hold the whole North American data base, and keep coming up with the wrong info, all pertinant but not quite what I need. If I find it, will post a link and you can print out the stuff for her, but people like that don't believe it anyway. At least I didn't say her arse is sucking wind, which is what I wanted to say

As a side note, however, there was a time in the early 20th century when a horse could conceivably be triple registered Standardbred, Saddlebred and Morgan. All 3 books were open books with criteria for entry being the Standardbred had to trot or pace a mile under the standard time, the Saddlebred had to be able to display 5 gaits under saddle (walk, trot, canter and 2 "saddle gaits"), and the Morgan had to trace its pedigree back to the Justin Morgan. I know someone that owned a stallion foaled in the 1950's, I believe, that was double registered Standardbred and Saddlebred up in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    Not a problem, I am hunting for the appropriate information for you from SC as they hold the whole North American data base, and keep coming up with the wrong info, all pertinant but not quite what I need. If I find it, will post a link and you can print out the stuff for her, but people like that don't believe it anyway. At least I didn't say her arse is sucking wind, which is what I wanted to say
    Thanks again--will look forward to the info---her actual words were "today they are adding so much tb blood that you can hardly tell a standardbred from ad thoroughbred two year old".
    And it will take a lot of reserve to not repeat your exact comment to her when I have the facts!

What I found - no foal shall be registered without DNA typing and no registration completed without freeze branding. New Canadian rules make branding mandatory, and USTA is going to implement the same rule probably by next year. I can't open the stupid rule books because I don't have a new enough acrobat reader.

The reason the yearlings and 2yos look so refined now is the breeding programs, but there are still differences such as bone, feet, and size. Certain bloodlines also have distinctive heads and body types, no specific body type is bred for, just soundness, sanity and speed. We don't much like horses over 16hh so most horses mature out around 15.2 - 16, not to say there are exceptions on either side of that. I have seen (and driven) some huge horses and some that are pony sized.

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for your info.....it was just what I needed to put this little issue "to bed"
    I also enjoyed the education. We can become a little "tunnel visioned" in our own breeds. Learning and knowing what others have been doing to progress in their breeds is always insightful. (I do wish the tbs would breed ai.) I think we are about the last to adopt this method---which is so much safer and more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Fan View Post
    Thanks again--will look forward to the info---her actual words were "today they are adding so much tb blood that you can hardly tell a standardbred from ad thoroughbred two year old".
    And it will take a lot of reserve to not repeat your exact comment to her when I have the facts!
    Maybe your friend is thinking of racing QH instead of Standardbred?