The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sound trail/husband horse - Western NY

Hi all. Well, here I find myself looking for ways to survive as a single parent. One of the tough decisions that has to be made is finding a place for my girls. I have opened my eyes WIDE open and seen that I need to make some changes so that my time, energy, and resources are doing everything I can for my daughter. I also recognize that my horses deserve better than to sit and do nothing.

This posting is for my special girl, Candy. Candy is a 1993 AQHA chestnut mare. She was my first horse I ever bought. Candy is a GREAT trail horse. This girl can go up and down any hill smooth as can be. She's great too. Happy to sit in the pasture for months and months and then just pull her out for a ride. No silly antics or "getting the bucks out." Just get on and go.

Candy is 15.1hh at the shark withers, but about 14.3 to ride. She's sound and up to date on all shots and trims. A little of her background. I bought Candy as a rescue when her last foal just about killed her. She was pretty neglected and in rough shape. I nursed and then worked her back to health. I tried to lease her a few years ago when my work schedule had me out of the area and it went horribly wrong. I ended up taking her back and spent the next 6 months nursing her back again. Despite all that, this girl still has a heart of gold. I am going to be VERY diligent about checking up on her this time around because I promised her she'd never have to go through that again.

As for Candy's quirks... she is not a fan of ring work. In her own words, going in circles is stupid. Candy would rather go out and GO somewhere and see something. She is also a very smart mare. Please don't think you're going to bully this girl in to doing ANYthing. If you start to pick a fight with her and use brute force, please understand that she is more stubborn than you are and she gets a kick out of watching you get frustrated. Candy also doesn't like getting shoes. Now, the good news is that she is sound on almost anything. She does get a little ouchy if riding over big gravel for a long period of time. If you do ride in a lot of rocky area I'm sure she'd be just fine with boots. She just doesn't like the nails going in. My farrier and I decided years ago that it just wasn't a battle we were going to win and he wasn't willing to lose a finger in the process. She does stand just fine for trims. Candy also needs the vet to take a couple minutes to say hello before giving shots or touching her. She spent quite a bit of time with the vet when she had her last foal and she just needs a new person to take 2 minutes to say hello and introduce themselves first. Then, she's totally fine with anything you need to do.

Candy also doesn't like to show or be ridden in a curb bit. Her favorite bit is the snaffle with the copper rollers. She has been ridden english or western. Candy is also FAST. If you like the tears in your eyes, good for you. I'm too chicken. LOL. Candy is fast though. If you throw the reins up her neck and give her the go, she'll flick and ear back to say "really?", and if you don't change your mind you are off at full blast. She's a QH though so it's a fast, short ride.

Candy's real forte though is trail riding. This girl is awesome up and down the hills. She can canter up any hill, hopping over logs as you go and it is smooth as can be. She is also very sure footed doing down hill because she will slide her back legs and just walk down with her front.

Candy has been ponied quite a bit since I have two horses and can only ride one. Candy isn't that great on leg cues and hasn't had all the fine tuning my other mare has because she would just rather GO than go in circles. She's also done some clicker training and really liked it.

Well, that was long and rambling, but I think that paints a full picture. Overall, she's a great horse that is perfect for a trail horse or hubby horse. Candy also loves kids. I've put my farrier's kids on her so you know I trust her. :-)

I would love to find a home for Candy in western NY where I can keep an eye on her, but am willing to let her travel if excellent referrals can be provided and you are ok with keeping my up to date on how she's doing. Please PM if you are interested in Candy. I do have a truck and trailer so I can deliver her, but it'd be great if you could cover the gas costs.

Here's hoping Candy finds a great home to be spoiled rotten. Oh, she doesn't like mints, but loves stud muffins, apples, pears, carrots, etc.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b&id=641049775

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/10554...40099569apkBwl
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

She sounds like a wonderful horse! I'm sure she'll be a perfect match for someone out there; good luck with this.

Thanks. I have my fingers crossed.

Default Great!

I just wanted to pop in and say Bump! and also how much I respect the information you have given and all of the thought and time you have taken to make sure that a prospective home knows quite a bit about your girl. Kudos to you on being so forthright. Good luck finding her a great home, I'm sure someone on here will be perfect

Hey friend... just wanted to say I'm sorry, as trite as it sounds. I will keep my ears open and let ya know if I hear of any situations that might suit your girl.

To anyone considering Candy, the OP is a total straight shooter and you can be sure the info is spot on and accurate! Must be someone out there needing a fun trail horse...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Do you think she would be appropriate for a chicken re-rider? I want to ride again. I would take excellent care of her on a boarding farm just down the road from me. Your comprehensive description of Candy and your "cand"id (sorry....can't resist) and thorough description of her personality and quirks is refreshing and appreciated. She sounds like a gem!

P.S. I'm in the Finger Lakes region of NY.

She would be great for a re-rider especially if you have some folks you trust to help you get back on the horse. You would obviously want to start at the beginning and build a solid relationship with her from the ground up. I suggest skipping the full throttle option too. LOL. I was too chicken to go that fast often. Let me know if you'd like to call to discuss Candy more. Just PM and I'll send you my number.

If Candy doesn't find a WNY home before Memorial Day weekend she'll probably be going on vacation to TN. If you are interested please let me know before I haul her 771 miles to my best friend's house. Thanks everyone.

Can you PM me your phone number? I might know someone interested. I'm trying to find my friend a BOMBPROOF trail horse that a beginner adult or child could ride. Must be the type of personality that if the horse was pulled from the paddock for a trail ride after it sat outside in a paddock for months, he/she would be the same horse level headed horse the last time he/she was ridden. It would have an amazing home!!!
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

PM Sent. Thanks for the interest.

Candy has been given a stay and will be in western NY though the end of June. I'm still looking to place her in an appropriate home where she can excel on the trails.

Bumping for a totally sound, super hubby/friend/pull out of pasture and just go kind of horse.

Default Possible home!

Hi I am emailing about Candy, we are looking for a mare who is good on trails. Basically she would be a family horse/husband horse. It is actually for my parents who are building a house and barn in CT right now, barn won't be up till October, and the barn we have now doesn't have an additional stall. The other thing we are looking for which is why we really wan't a mare is a companion for my TB mare, who is not retired just hates being alone in a field, so we would want a horse who is placid outside to encourage her to be happy. Her current partner in Pa which is where I am now (will be moving in August to CT) is wonderful for her loves turnout and allows Belle to endure the bugs! Belle is not an Alpha mare so doesn't mind a bossy mare. The main thing is also safety on the trail, no bolting, or runaways! We keep our horses don't sell them down the road, For instance I purchased my mare in hopes of reselling her six years ago, then purchased a pony in the hopes of reselling three years ago still with me! In other words they have a home for life! Let me know what you think as far as the trail riding and companion and then I will forward all info to my parents,and possibly come look at her. Would you consider a free lease?

Thanks, Kelly

Yes, I would actually prefer a free lease just because I had a lease go poorly with this saint of a mare in the past. Let me know and I'll get you more info. Feel free to PM and I'll give you my phone number too. Sounds like Candy might be a good match for this situation.