The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default REFLEX SWIVEL IRONS

Cool, just looked at the ad for Reflex Irons and they look very much like the Royal Riders but at a fraction of the price.. Can this really be true ?

I like wide track irons and these seem to ad quite a few cool features, great price.

When I was down at Rolex this year, everyone in the VTO booth seemed to have a pair of those in their hand. I went to look for a pair for myself (after getting clocked in the shin with a heavy metal iron during a dropped-stirrups spook) and they seemed to be a good price. Alas, they were all gone by the time I looked.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

I kind of gave up on those flexi style irons because they did not give me a feeling of security. I bought a pair of these at Rolex for the wide tread and the comfort.... They are definetly comfortable and soo secure feeling.

I have both the Reflex irons ($) and the original hinged style hypernylon stirrups ($$$). I bought the expensive ones after a knee injury to help with pain in my knee when riding and they helped tremendously. While I was contemplating the $$$ needed to buy another pair for my 2nd horse's jump saddle, I saw the Reflex irons in Dover for $34.90 and they looked pretty good so I thought I'd give them a try. While they are not quite as flexible as the more $$$ stirrups, they are still pretty nice. The footbed is just as wide and the flexibility seems to be enough to provide relief for my knee problem. The tread is either rubber or plastic (can't remember) and very nubby for a good grip, but I would have prefered the metal "cheesegrater" style of the more $$$ versions. All in all for $35 vs $170 for Royal Riders or $120 for Equiwing, I would purchase the Reflex irons if I had to buy another pair.

By the way, when I asked at the Hockessin, DE Dover store about the Reflex irons, the manager told me to buy them and try them at home and if I didn't like them, I was welcome to return them. I believe Dover has a very liberal return policy (I don't know VTO's return policy), so try them and return them if you don't like them.