The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone ride in jeans?

I'm trying to find some skinny jeans or what have you to wear on days when changing into breeches isn't always an easy option

I'm only 5'3 so most stuff is too long but I also need something that I can wear under my tall boots/half chaps without bunching up, if thats even possible

Last question, if I do find some whats the best way to get my boots socks on with them to prevent them from being annoying(I'm ADD)

Thanks guys

I'm 5'1"... Gloria Vanderbuilt tapered leg work pretty well under half chaps... I have yet to find a pair of skinny jeans that are not also really low waisted and I don't think I could ride knowing that my butt crack might be showing.

Places like Urban Outfitters make skinny "ankle" jeans (basically skinny jeans with a shorter, like, 30" inseam) that don't really scrunch, in a bunch of rises (low, really low, high, really high).

Socks: under the jeans? That's what I normally do. I put socks on then my jeans so I don't have to deal with any wrinkles .

Maybe find riding jeans/breeches that can double as "in the world" clothes, rather than the other way around. Jeans without stretch are murder to ride in, and many are too thick to fit well into tall boots, and even some half chaps.
    I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com

I saw some jeans in Hobby Horse that look like they could go under half chaps. The magazine shows a model wearing them. I usually wear regular boot cut/flare jeans and just fold them to put under half chaps or to wear with my boots. I put tall socks over top of the jeans to keep them in place.

http://www.hobbyhorseinc.com/10_shop...irljeans.shtml
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

I ride in jeans but use my half chaps.... I could NEVER get my leg in my boots with jeans.

I like the DKN stretch jeans for riding... not bulky and stretch......
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

If you're skinny enough to cram into kid's sizes, try abercrombie kids' skinny jeans. I have a few pairs that I wear to ride, they have a nice stretch and I they don't bunch under tall boots. I bought mine at ankle length, so I didn't have to cuff them, and they're really nice for those days you're going straight from the barn to the real world! I'm 5'3" as well and I actually can wear the kids 12 slim
    “I always knew I had the ability, I just had to find the horse to get me there.” - Calvin Borel, on riding Street Sense to victory in the 2007 Kentucky Derby

I found a pair on sale at American Eagle that work nicely. They are slightly low rise, but are fine with a belt. Stretchy and very tapered at the leg, they are perfect with my half or full chaps.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

I'm 5'3" and but have huge calves so jeans and boots are a no go. However I do wear jeans almost daily because I stilll have baby weight from my last pregnancy and me and breeches have yet to reach an under standing!. All my jeans have a little stretch to them. I wear Levi's if that helps. What I do is cuff mmy leans at the bottom so they are above the spur half chap line. (I do this even with skinny jeans as I HATE scrunched jeans. I then fold the cuff towards my shin from the outside. It makes the jean nice and tight. If you do it from the inside you will get an uncomfortable line there. Then I put my half chaps on. I also Always wear tall socks under my jeans.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but my hormones are on overtime and this is one of my pet peeves.....

If you want to ride in jeans (which I do most of the time) you should wear them with chaps or half-chaps. I firmly believe that you shouldn't be able to wear jeans with your tall boots if your boots fit you properly...even the thin, stretchy jeans are too thick in the ankle and calf. If you have pull-ons, I don't even see how it's possible!

I had a client who rode in (zip-up) tall boots & jeans, and she just looked totally silly. It reminded me of someone wearing prada heels with running shorts.

There are a few riding pants out there made to look like jeans; perhaps trying those?

ETA: what do barns with a "dress code" think of riding in jeans with tall boots? I assume they want you in classic riding apparel, which would not be jeans. As I said before, it just looked silly to me.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

My old student, who's been out of the show scene as long as I have now (about 6 years) texted the other day saying, "What is with all these BREECHES?"

She had just moved into what is probably a more show-geared barn after hiding out at an eventing place for several years. She said everyone gave her funny looks for riding in jeans (with half chaps).

The whole point of this selfish trip down memory lane is that I always ride in jeans, which is now apparently passe. I blame the wimpy french saddles and their precious pommel leather (which I simultaneously adore). Any jeans - and 6 years and beyond ago skinny jeans were definitely not in style. In fact, flared bottoms were, and I shoved them in my half chap, too. My only rule of thumb was to not pay more than $40-60 on them

Should note I've always used the Ariat half-chap - the one that is super padded along inside calf with the diamond stitch. Jean wrinkles were never an issue with these. If you don't find a skinny you like just pull the extra leg of a regular width jean out in front, so it's smooth against your back calf, then fold it over to the outside, so it's smooth on inside calf. Kind of like a french roll without the roll (for you 80s folk), and slap chap over that. Any bunching should occur along the zipper line. You may have to ruin a pair of spurs by stretching them out to get them to ride over the jean
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by englishivy View Post
    If you want to ride in jeans (which I do most of the time) you should wear them with chaps or half-chaps. I firmly believe that you shouldn't be able to wear jeans with your tall boots if your boots fit you properly...even the thin, stretchy jeans are too thick in the ankle and calf. If you have pull-ons, I don't even see how it's possible!
    Wanted to clarify my jean loving post after I saw this - it would never even occur to me to where boots over jeans. I agree, it shouldn't even be possible. Though I have seen some of those dreaded skinny jeans that would probably work, so I would guess that's a trend that has arisen with that.

I do adore having to own no other breeches than my TSs for show!
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    Kind of like a french roll without the roll (for you 80s folk), and slap chap over that.
    YES!!!!! That's exactly what you do to get a smooth inside calf!

I knew that fashion trend would come in handy one day
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

I ride in a Crosby PDN in Wrangler boot-cut jeans and hiking boots from TSC. (Largely because most days I don't have the time, space or inclination to change clothes after the barn.) I don't have a problem with leg slipping or the seam (Wrangler is one of the few brands that seems to assume you'll actually be on a horse in them and so cuts the jeans so the seams don't rub.) I couldn't even BEGIN to try and get my tall boots over them--it wouldn't occur to me to try. Sometimes I get pinched a bit from the leathers, but nothing that bothers me so long as I can keep my leg in place, which I do quite easily.

Most times I ride in breeches and tall boots, but have an occasional urge to wear and jeans and half chaps. Either way I still wear a belt with my shirts tucked in.

I also second the stretch DKNY jeans - which I wore until I grew out of them. But have recently switched to Express brand - lots of room and aren't too low-rise. They aren't skinny per say, but rather straight-leg. And they are comfortable!

And I too have seen riders in tall boots and jeans! And my personal favorite - tall boots and sweatpants.

Quote Originally Posted by englishivy View Post
    YES!!!!! That's exactly what you do to get a smooth inside calf!

I knew that fashion trend would come in handy one day
    Ditto. This is what I do as well, roll the excess of the jeans at the bottom snugly/neatly towards the outside of each ankle.
    More often than not I ride in jeans and half chaps. I buy bootcut jeans made of thinner denim with some stretch and without a thick seam along the leg. I am not a huge fan of skinny jeans and I like to be comfortable enough to run errands after the barn or take my dog out for a walk. I have been able to find Guess jeans, Seven and several other brands at TJ Maxx, Marshalls and even Goodwill for affordable prices (under 30.00) that are great jeans for riding.

Riding with jeans and tall boots I would imagine would be really uncomfortable. I agree it would just look odd. As far as the breeches trend I don't think nice fitting jeans, clean half chaps, poloshirt and belt looks any sloppier than people
    who ride in breeches, half chaps and a baggy t-shirt.

My old student, who's been out of the show scene as long as I have now (about 6 years) texted the other day saying, "What is with all these BREECHES?"

She had just moved into what is probably a more show-geared barn after hiding out at an eventing place for several years. She said everyone gave her funny looks for riding in jeans (with half chaps).

The whole point of this selfish trip down memory lane is that I always ride in jeans, which is now apparently passe. I blame the wimpy french saddles and their precious pommel leather (which I simultaneously adore). Any jeans - and 6 years and beyond ago skinny jeans were definitely not in style. In fact, flared bottoms were, and I shoved them in my half chap, too. My only rule of thumb was to not pay more than $40-60 on them

Should note I've always used the Ariat half-chap - the one that is super padded along inside calf with the diamond stitch. Jean wrinkles were never an issue with these. If you don't find a skinny you like just pull the extra leg of a regular width jean out in front, so it's smooth against your back calf, then fold it over to the outside, so it's smooth on inside calf. Kind of like a french roll without the roll (for you 80s folk), and slap chap over that. Any bunching should occur along the zipper line. You may have to ruin a pair of spurs by stretching them out to get them to ride over the jean
    LOL - this is exactly what I was thinking. I am not riding currently but when I go visit friends or look at pictures I am always amazed that everyone is in breeches and half chaps. I always do jeans and half or full chaps. I used to buy mine at the gap - they had a high waisted mom jean that had a straight leg. But I am pretty skilled at the pseudo french roll under a chap with any type of jean.

The other thing that drives me nuts: I used to ride at a barn where the kids would ride in shorts and full chaps. I don't know why - but it grossed me out!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/Diva1998

"Reality has a liberal bias" - Jon Stewart

I use those Ariat Half chaps too... and, yeah - I was in high school in the 80's.... (french roll) Oh memories. Even on the button up shirt sleeves. "I remember that"

Im tall so most of my jeans are flooders so spurs fit nicely below...

I only ride in jeans if I go to the barn to clean etc wearing jeans and decide that I want to ride... If I know I am riding I wear breeches.. I really prefer a knee patch.. Any amount of help for staying on is a plus....
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

I ride in gap straight leg jeans and half chaps every day. They do stretch out though. Available in a variety of washes and rises. I get them for like $11-20 at their outlet stores.

I mostly ride in breeches & talls now since my paddock boots died and I have yet to replace them. However, I used to do jeans and half chaps or full chaps a lot, and I found that the best jeans for riding were the ones I got a pacific sunwear. Skinny leg, come in a "short" length (I'm 5'5), nice and stretchy, not too thick, not too low-rise, and cheap! ($50 for 2 pair when I got them).
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.