The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Reviews of the brand new barn website?

I made this entire site between last night and tonight. It's pretty basic, but it covers everything that needs to be. We're not a big production by any means, so we really don't need some megahuge site.

Just looking for opinions from someone other than me looking at it. Does it looks professional enough? Is the information presented in a sensible way? If you were a prospective student/boarder/horse buyer, does this site give a good impression?

I am completely self-taught and I don't know any CSS or PSP coding. It's strictly Photoshop and Microsoft Epression Web 3. So this is the best I could fanangle right now.

Windhurst Farm

Looks pretty good! Especially for how quickly you pulled it together! I really like your logo/pictures at the top! I would like to see more pictures, of the facility and sales horses especially.

-There is a small typo in the first sentence of the Training section under the Services tab.
    -The "About" link is not active.
    -The website is not centered on my computer (I have a Mac) but that could be a browser issue!

Overall looks really nice

I left the "About" section like that because I'm going to let my trainer (the BO) write what she wants there... it is her barn afterall. lol

It is aligned to the left. It's not you.

Nice enough. For me to be intrested though I'd like to see photos.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I agree. We need to take some nice comformation shots. I either have no pictures or ones that are a few years old.

I'd center everything, like mentioned in earlier posts.

Also, I think the black shading around the horses is a little severe. I think the focal point of the picture should be your logo, not the black surrounding the horses. Maybe it's just me though. Nice "cutting out" of the horses though.

Otherwise, very nicely put together! Especially in such a short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by alisonandshiloh View Post
    I'd center everything, like mentioned in earlier posts.

Also, I think the black shading around the horses is a little severe. I think the focal point of the picture should be your logo, not the black surrounding the horses. Maybe it's just me though. Nice "cutting out" of the horses though.

Otherwise, very nicely put together! Especially in such a short amount of time.
    I agree with all of this. I'd also add lots of pictures as others have mentioned
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Nice start! When viewed on my iPod, your boxes around your text are kind of random (they end in odd places).

Good start basics. Center everything when you open to a full size page it stick to one side.
    Boxes still overlapping
    Need photos of "All" sales horses
    Boarding explination nice but a photo of barn aisle would help. And some site photo's
    Loose the tie chain in stalls comment and how often you hay.
    Just say full board inclusive of .........Partical board.....
    Type of fencing???
    No mention of a wash stall with H/C water??
    Trailer parking??
    Show Fees
    Vet and Farrier who services the area

little typo under services:
    its says "kitched amenities" instead of kitchen

good work!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Very classic and clean!

I agree about the black around the horses. It creates a strange silouette for my eye. I understand why it is there, and if you can't get rid of it maybe you could try another color (like the blue of the sky behind?).

I agree that there need to me more pictures, especially of the facility itself. On the next pretty day, just run around and take pictures (barn aisle, turnout, ring, tack room, wash stall, etc). When you take pictures, be sure not to be too zoomed out and try to avoid including things in the shot that are ugly (like a dumpster, etc).

Maybe you also want to do a link section to the associations through which you guys usually compete, results for the triainer, etc.

Best of luck and great start!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

definitely center that page, it looks bad on the left side.

pics are great on a site but this site is really narrow, you'll have to really size down the pics to fit in the frame of the site. If possible I would consider making it a bit wider, then ad pics.

It will look a lot better if you just center the page though.

I agree about shading around the horses being a big too dark/heavy. I would try to blend it a bit more with the background.

this might be a little bit picky but the horses are different sizes and the angles are a little off. not sure what your ps skills are like but if you could get them a little closer to the same size and angle, that would look better.
    Last edited by blazing saddles; May. 13, 2010 at 11:49 AM.

megancolleen Guest

I agree with everyone, it should be centered.

Also, the white text on navy is not as easy to read as black text on white. I would consider making the textboxes white with black text. There could also be some more variation in the size/boldness of the headers compared to the body text. I am assuming that more detailed information/pictures will be added in time, you did put this together in one night!

I like the logo, but instead of the composite of pictures behind, I would rather see just one picture of a nice jump, or a nice picture of the facilities. The two horses with the shading that don't quite line up and the scenery are kind of distracting for me.

Sorry if that seems like a lot of critique! I am a graphic design school graduate who isn't working in that field so there is the urge to critique when asked. It really does look nice for being put together so quickly.