The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which cross-country saddles might work for me?

I know that there have been tons of saddle threads but here's another one
    I am desperately in need of a new (used) xc saddle. I found a used Devoucoux Ioldy that I loved but it sold before I had my husband convinced. It was a 17" with a 1AA flap. The flap was short and very forward. I am 5'3" and the Devoucoux guy told me I had a long femur for my height, hence the short forward flap. I can't afford the new one right now.
    When I look on other websites I can't really tell which other saddles I might also like. Any ideas? I like the idea of front and back blocks but I'm not set on it. I just need something to help me be a little more secure. I'm currently riding in a Courbette Derby.
    Thanks!
    Helen
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO - you're on course!

Several people I know who fit that description like the Prestige Nona Garson and they can be found used.

Amerigo Vega might be an option, as might some of the black country saddles. I really liked the older Albions (also 5'3" with a long femur for my height), but not the newer ones. I loved by Berney Bros Dublin Jumper and am currently riding in a Devoucoux Oreka that I like, but don't love.

You might want to talk with the folks at Trumbull Mountain or Pelham Saddlery, both quite helpful. Also, http://www.cuatx.com/services_saddlefitting.php

Possibilities here: http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/catalog.htm?Vl=3&Tp=2

or here: http://www.highendusedsaddles.com/saddlesavailable.htm
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I'm your height and I have a 17" pariani of unknown model. Its about 25 years old, and vaguely resembles the passier military in the way its built. I love it!

I didn't think you were that short

Jackie

How long is your femur? Can you measure it? Look at also used Devoucoux Chibertas--if you are patient, the size you need will come up. Also Black Country saddles are nice. I have a Vinici monoflap, although I never see any used ones for sale. A new Black Country may be the same price as a used Devoucoux.